Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ski Rack Failure - Need Advice

So recently my ski rack broke while I was driving. All 3 pairs of skis on my car (Mine, My Wife's, and My Brother-In-Law's) flew off the car. They were damaged beyond use.

1 pair was brand new, only used once. Another pair had been used 6 times. The last pair had been used 20 times. All 3 bindings are also toast.

What do I do?

Rack: Yakima

No damage to the car.

Option 1: Has anyone ever had success trying to get Yakima to pony up for this? I know their waiver of liability states that they do not. Will they at least replace my rack? I'd love for them to replace all 3 pairs of skis.

Option 2: Car insurance. Any thoughts or experience?

Option 3: Homeowners insurance. This seems like the most sure bet, but I'd obviously love to avoid doing anything that might result in hiking my home insurance premium if at all possible.

If I do get insurance involved, Are they gonna jack me around and not replace all of them or give me enough to replace all of them?

Broke?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Dang man, every rack users worse nightmare. Good luck and hope it gets smoothed out. Someone will know how to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Broke?
    I don't really want to dish out $2,000 - $3,000 if I have a better option.

It honestly was not my fault, the ski racks were securely closed.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Broke?
    Maybe you meant how the rack broke. It just flew open, both at once. It was the FatCat 6. I know these pop open sometimes if you only lock them down a single notch, but I made very sure it was down before driving... it seems to close now but I'm never using it again... it is also visibly twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    Maybe you meant how the rack broke.
    Clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Buy new skis and a roof box?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Buy new skis and a roof box?

Why even respond....?

Why bring this here for anything other than a laugh?

Where are the pics
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Why even respond....?
    Because that's the best option. You might get you're car insurance to cover it if you have comprehensive. Any money you get from insurance will be used to buy new skis and a new box, because you're not going to use the current one again. Meanwhile, buy some new skis and a box and go skiing. You might save some money if you buy used from gear swap here.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Because that's the best option. You might get you're car insurance to cover it if you have comprehensive. Any money you get from insurance will be used to buy new skis and a new box, because you're not going to use the current one again. Meanwhile, buy some new skis and a box and go skiing. You might save some money if you buy used from gear swap here.
    Exactly. There is enough kickass skis in GS to replace all broke skis with possibly better skis for a fuck ton less than the msrp price you are touting. Buy new box then contact homeowners/vehicle ins and see what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Exactly. There is enough kickass skis in GS to replace all broke skis with possibly better skis for a fuck ton less than the msrp price you are touting. Buy new box then contact homeowners/vehicle ins and see what's up.
    I need to replace:

1 pair of ON3P Jeffrey 114 Sks with Rossignol FKS 180 binding - ONLY SKIED ONCE
    1 pair of Armada TST Skis with Rossignol FKS 140 binding - ONLY SKIED 8 TIMES
    1 pair of K2 Remedy 102 with Salomon Guardian Tour binding - ONLY SKIED 20 TIMES

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Why bring this here for anything other than a laugh?

Where are the pics

Yep. Those things are pretty well fucked up. That's rough man.

My guess is homeowners is your best bet. Maybe Yak might send you a new rack or box with a nice email including photos?

And, yes, I'd be pissed too. Nightmare scenario for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

having lost a bike off the roof once, I feel your pain.

20 years from now somebody is going to be like "why is he so fucking anal about the rack"....they'll never truly know.

I need to replace:

1 pair of ON3P Jeffrey 114 Sks with Rossignol FKS 180 binding - ONLY SKIED ONCE
    1 pair of Armada TST Skis with Rossignol FKS 140 binding - ONLY SKIED 8 TIMES
    1 pair of K2 Remedy 102 with Salomon Guardian Tour binding - ONLY SKIED 20 TIMES
    All but the remedy skis I have seen in GS for killer deals that had very few days on them, as well as binders. Not saying your situation doesn't suck, it does. I'd be pissed as well. I'm just the glass is half full and I'm gonna add whiskey to fill it up and rock on kinda guy. I would get replacement gear ASAP and then go after rack company or ins.

Homeowners. I don't think any belongings like that will be covered by auto aside from a theft. Sucks man. You'll still probably be out $500 for homeowners deductible, but better than $3kish.

Good luck.

If they were closed but not locked, Yakima will most likely say it's your fault. Thule I know will.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1453590612.674173.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	175443
    Vibes

PM Rontele for the answer or if you are broke try Danno [his house is sided with cardboard so maybe less expensive]

Good luck
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Sweet ass TR bro. Loved the pics
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    If they were closed but not locked, Yakima will most likely say it's your fault. Thule I know will.
    I suppose I assumed they were locked because... duh. No way in hell I'd trust any of the plastic-toothed rack closure systems without locking them.

OP, were they locked?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Marine epoxy, couple clamps, good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I suppose I assumed they were locked because... duh. No way in hell I'd trust any of the plastic-toothed rack closure systems without locking them.

OP, were they locked?
    Were not locked... But this is an interesting side note... I just looked at the manual from when I bought the rack and it says verify the closure by pushing up on the rack before driving (which I always do) but then says nothing about the locks...

Now the new manual says to lock them before driving... May indicate that they knew that the rack could open by itself

Were not locked... But this is an interesting side note... I just looked at the manual from when I bought the rack and it says verify the closure by pushing up on the rack before driving (which I always do) but then says nothing about the locks...

Now the new manual says to lock them before driving... May indicate that they knew that the rack could open by itself
    Who doesn't lock the rack before driving?

Man, you done fucked up.

Operator error.

Sorry for your loss