Gobblers Knob area (Utah) avalanche

http://kutv.com/news/local/at-least-...llcreek-canyon

One person dead in avalanche near Big Cottonwood Canyon

Salt Lake City — (KUTV) One person has died in an avalanche Thursday afternoon, Unified Police said.

According to Lt. Lex Bell, the victim was pulled out of the snow in the backcountry between Millcreek Canyon and Big Cottonwood Canyon. Everyone else was accounted for, Bell said.

A group of skiers was in the area when the avalanche started. Two skiers were caught in the avalanche. The 49-year-oldman died, while a 50-year-old man survived and was flown to the hospital. His condition is unknown.

The avalanche happened around 2:40 p.m. near the area known as Gobblers Knob, Bell said.

A skier told 2News he saw the aftermath of the avalanche and described as very large.

Police said all victims were confirmed to be off the mountain.

KSL has flyover vid on their site. Big ass slide.
    http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38226567&nid...s_cid=topstory

shame, gobbler's takes another best to those affected.

Sounds as if the skier who was fully buried pulled his airbag yet despite efforts was the unfortunate victim.

Heartfelt sorrow to the family and close friends.

>> https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanches/26182

>>The avalanche - as gathered from the photos - propagated all the way back up to the ridgeline and reportedly propagated a couple hundred feet wide, carrying the second skier hundreds of feet down the slide path and into the gulley below. The second skier pulled the handle and inflated his avalanche airbag, and then proceeded to be carried down the path. The first skier was hit by the debris, picked up, and carried into a tree where he was only partially buried.

Posted in Wasatch conditions thread. The victim was a friend of mine. RIP Doug

Vibes and sorry for your loss Skidog

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Posted in Wasatch conditions thread. The victim was a friend of mine. RIP Doug
    RIP Doug, condolences to you and the family Skidog.

you know living here in the Wasatch you hear about these deaths all the time. most times I don't know the person and feel bad for their family, etc. Sometimes I know the name, still same feelings. Sometimes I have met the person in passing or shared a few laps, still same feelings. This time, though, this is someone i saw, spoke with, and skied with on a semi frequent basis, and had just seen only days before. Its much more sobering this time...makes me think a lot more. Many thoughts and prayers to his family. Life cut short.

Doug was a skier through and through. He arranged his work as a radiologist in Seattle so as to have his winters totally free. He chased snow for sure. If he wasnt at Alta due to low tide conditions, he was off chasing it wherever it may be falling. His 50th bday is/was only a couple weeks away. He was planning on retiring in the next few years, just had to decide how modestly he wanted to live out his retirement. Kept his home in Sugarhouse cause he knew he'd be back for good in the near future.

If you're out skiing today please take a lap for me in honor of a true snow chaser. Hardly a "ski bum" in the true definition due to his profession, but he surely chased it as good or better than any die hard "ski bum" ever could.

RIP Doug. I'll miss our talks in GMD and laughs on the hill....May there be nothing but deep snow forever for you bud.

vibes. super sad to hear these things always.

Sorry to hear about your friend, Skidog. RIP Doug.