Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Colorado Maggot Approved Places to Eat Along I-70, 285, etc

I started some thread drift in the I-70 Bitch thread, and thought this conversation would be a useful reference to Maggot approved places to eat along the I-70 corridor. In the spirit of bendtheski's comments, let's help out of towners find and support local businesses.

Here's what was posted …

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Including a stop at Mountain Buzz in Georgetown for an awsome-tastic Greek Pizza ...

No affiliation, but give these guys some business and support a genuine maggot type local business. Any place with a sign on the door: "please remove crampons before entering" is my kind of place: http://mountainbuzzcafe.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    2 Bros Deli. There, I said it
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Mtnbuzz is a joke... designed solely to take money off Denverites who think a gruff attitude and shitty service makes a joint "mountainish". Drive for another 35 seconds and leave your cash at The Alpine Inn. Or if you want Italian instead of Pizza, keep driving for another 90 seconds to Troia's Cafe.
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Were you wearing your TGR screen name on your jacket? Did you walk in the door with a gaper Denverite attitude? They've always been nice to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Gaper New York moneyed asshole attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    What does that even mean; mountainish? Nothing against those other places, but the Buzz has better pizza, and the owner's a good guy trying to run a business like anyone else. Funny, my dad always seemed to get pissed about something about the service at every restaurant we ever went to.
    Are you one of those guys?

Anyway, it's nice not to have to get on I-70 to pick up a decent pizza, and a liquor store right down the street that stocks a half dozed of my favorite IPA's., all in walking distance.

Thank you Denverites for helping keep these places going so locals have some options. None of this survives on the locals business alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Brother? Is that you? My dad is the same way. Pretty funny to watch, we just laugh at him now. At least he's a big tipper.

Never been to Mtnbuzz, will have to check it out, mainly due to the fact that I know I won't see stfu there. ;-) I miss the Red Ram, used to meet the family there for Friday fish fry.

Euro Grill is my stop for sit down food in G-town. Schnitzel and Staropramen FTW! Otherwise I head to Idaho Springs for Two Brothers.

I hear there's a new brew pub in Idaho Springs in the Buffalo. Anyone know anything about that? Westbound and Down?
    Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    Than the Alpine? El. Oh. El.
    Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I hear there's a new brew pub in Idaho Springs in the Buffalo. Anyone know anything about that? Westbound and Down?
    Been there a couple times. Its nice and they have a good stout. Food is a little pricey and the decor feels out of place for ID springs, its like a place straight out of lohi in Denver. Theres a super cute bartender that looks like Mikaela Shiffrin though...so A+
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    WB and Down is fucking weird in Idaho springs, way too fancy. But decent beer and food. Mtn Buzz is good, stfu is probably an asshole cause the staff has always been nice to me. Lucha (in red ram's old space) is my new go to, but I wish the bar downstairs was still in regular use. Such a cool space.
    Last edited by Danno; 01-21-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I will say that for a town of less than 1000 full-time residents, it's kind of weird to have two pizza places.

The debate rages on at work about who makes a better pie, but my vote is always for the buzz, at least for take-out. I like Brett's sauce, crust and cheese better. It's not the Jersey pie I grew up with (did not realize how spoiled I was until I moved out of Jersey), but acceptable. I like the Alpine if I'm going out with the wife, and like the specialty pies like the BBQ chicken, but as my wife says, "that's not real pizza". I also like that the Alpine has live music a lot, more space, and of course, a bar.

A regular cheese pie from the Buzz prolly weighs double what an Alpine pie does, and that's gotta count for something. Pretty much never leftovers with an Alpine pie, and cold slices are probably my favorite touring food.

Anybody tried the new brew-pub at El Rancho?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    I will say that for a town of less than 1000 full-time residents, it's kind of weird to have two pizza places.

The debate rages on at work about who makes a better pie, but my vote is always for the buzz, at least for take-out. I like Brett's sauce, crust and cheese better. It's not the Jersey pie I grew up with (did not realize how spoiled I was until I moved out of Jersey), but acceptable. I like the Alpine if I'm going out with the wife, and like the specialty pies like the BBQ chicken, but as my wife says, "that's not real pizza". I also like that the Alpine has live music a lot, more space, and of course, a bar.

A regular cheese pie from the Buzz prolly weighs double what an Alpine pie does, and that's gotta count for something. Pretty much never leftovers with an Alpine pie, and cold slices are probably my favorite touring food.

Anybody tried the new brew-pub at El Rancho?
    Well, of course the pie to order at the Alpine is the "New Yorker". It could only be thus... If you go into a restaurant that serves perfectly good pizza and order some "specialty" pie, that's your own fault.

Have only heard bad things about the new El Rancho. Would love to see those rumors proven to be unfounded, but somehow I doubt that will be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

A maggot brews the beer at Dillon Dam Brewery. Food is just OK, but he's doing a kickass job with the beer so it's always worth a stop.

High quality wings at Pug Ryans. Always hit the spot after a Gore hike or day on the slopes
    The suds deliver too!

A maggot brews the beer at Dillon Dam Brewery. Food is just OK, but he's doing a kickass job with the beer so it's always worth a stop.
    Cheap as chips too during daily 3-6? happy hour. $3 decent pints is hard to beat.

Frisco: Pho Bay 2, Prost;
    Vail: Northside Grab & Go - meatball sub, breakfast sammies, great cheesesteak;
    Gypsum: Ekahi Grill - amazing Hawaiian;
    GWS: Polanka - phenomenal polish; Vicco's Charburger.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The El Rancho is interesting, a friend of ours said it feels like a hotel bar due to the open-ness. We live down Kerr Gulch a little ways so it is close and want it to work. Their beer is very mediocre, and their menu is pretty meh. If I lived in Genesee to Floyd Hill I'd probably want it to live as it is closer than anything else for them. Not sure though, they need to get their shit together, they sunk a shit ton of capital into the place.

Coming back Friday my daughter and I stopped at the Westbound and Down place in Idaho Springs. When I walked in I was more than a hair shocked, place is wildly out of place for Idaho Springs. The beer needs to come around for sure, maybe they'll get there. I'm sure the dude that owns Tommyknockers will want to at least steam clean his carpets.

I've always liked the Dillon Dam's beer, food is a little too much Cisco, but good beer.

Dillon Dam Brewery. Food is just OK .
    Try the fried chicken next time. It's top notch.

Don't go to hacienda real in Frisco, I don't like waiting for a table.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    High quality wings at Pug Ryans. Always hit the spot after a Gore hike or day on the slopes
    The suds deliver too!

Yup, Pugs and Arapahoe Café.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Frisco: Pho Bay 2, Prost;
    Vail: Northside Grab & Go - meatball sub, breakfast sammies, great cheesesteak;
    Gypsum: Ekahi Grill - amazing Hawaiian;
    GWS: Polanka - phenomenal polish; Vicco's Charburger.
    Love Northside +1 on the cheesesteak. Yellowbelly is good chicken. Eagle- Moes, and Makers may shoot me but I dig the Belmont Deli in Edwards.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I really like ti amo for Italian in eagle

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    Love Northside +1 on the cheesesteak. Yellowbelly is good chicken. Eagle- Moes, and Makers may shoot me but I dig the Belmont Deli in Edwards.
    Belmont is solid.

Another one for Vail which is excellent: Annapurna. Indian and Tibetan, in the Evergreen Lodge lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF is dat View Post
    I really like ti amo for Italian in eagle
    Great lunch special, but it is in Eagle Vail.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

This thread probably belongs in the padded room but it's not like I give a fuck.

Not right off I-70 but for the few mags who frequent Winter Park.... Pepe Osakas Fishtaco Tequila Bar & Grill

Incredible food and great margs. Small joint though, so be prepared to wait a bit for a table on a busy night.

Big fan of smokin yards BBQ in Idaho springs.

Quote Originally Posted by matoco View Post
    Big fan of smokin yards BBQ in Idaho springs.
    ^^^this
    +2 bros deli
    +yellowbelly in Vail

blue moon bakery - silverthorne

Jilbertito's in Glenwood Springs for a Machaca Burrito and Taqueria No SE Hagan Bolas in Avon over by City Market has good mexican food and damn good burgers & fries.
    +1 on Northside and Yellowbelly in Vail...and Big Bear Bistro in the Village.

Slope and hatch in GWS is good tacos!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I'll 3rd Somkin' Yard in Idaho Springs. Good beer selection, good Q, and boiled goobers too. They have given a "skiers discount" in the pass when you ask for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

Mountain Lyon Cafe for breakfast in silverthorne or butterhorn bakery in frisco

Chimayo in Dillon

X2 on Chimayo

Check out Bakers' Brewery in Silverthorne too. They are new and working out some kinks but worth a trip.

Taking in Star Wars at Dillon Ridge in 3D, then dinner at the Dam tomorrow night with the wife. Stoked!

Colorado Maggot Approved Places to Eat Along the I-70 Corridor

Stupid double post.

Silver Heels in Frisco is kinda spendy, but good.
    Last edited by bendtheski; 01-20-2016 at 04:21 AM.