Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to be posting this, but I'll give it a shot:

I'm meeting some boulder-area friends in Silverton this weekend for a couple of days of good fun. I myself am headed in from SLC. Ideally, we would like to meet up in Grand Junction or Montrose and consolidate vehicles before heading further south. Do any locals have a suggestion for a safe place to leave a car for a couple of nights? Any help would be appreciated.

Can't help on parking, but there is a taco cart on the main drag in green river that you should hit up.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Have I missed it or doesn't anyone like Tommyknocker's? Good beers, most of the food we've had is great. Used to have a free pint with LLand pass, hopefully they bring that back next season. Try the Pine Bough Ale...made with pine needles from Loveland.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Have I missed it or doesn't anyone like Tommyknocker's? Good beers, most of the food we've had is great. Used to have a free pint with LLand pass, hopefully they bring that back next season. Try the Pine Bough Ale...made with pine needles from Loveland.
    Yep, beer and wings are really good. Not a fan of the sweet potato tots though.

Has anybody here ever tried that German Place off of CO 72 in Coal Creek Canyon? I have driven by it a bunch of times but have never had time to stop in.

is it open? I drove by it every Wednesday two summers ago and it seemed closed. But I too am curious.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

The Westfalen Hof is open, reservations required.
    Thursday – Saturday: 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
    Sunday: 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm
    Reviews I've read in the past talk more about the décor of the place more than the food. Described as walking into an old German lady's living room with lace and kitsch. Food was described as fair. I figure it should be worth checking out as the place has been around for years, so someone must be eating there to stay in business.

ah, it was always wednesdays, that's why it was always closed!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Thanks for the info. With reservations required it does not sound to conducive to stopping in for a quick beer after skiing the east portal.......Still seems worth checking out for a full meal at some point though.

I always wanted to stop at the Wondervu Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Speaking of torta trucks, Tacos Kareli (the yellow food truck) in front of CVS and next to City Market in GWS is the bomb. Incredibly authentic tortas.
    It appears to be parked in front of First Class Trash, right of Hwy82.

Quote Originally Posted by PaDuKa View Post
    Has anybody here ever tried that German Place off of CO 72 in Coal Creek Canyon? I have driven by it a bunch of times but have never had time to stop in.
    Yeah, and it's great if you love German food. Very authentic and the decor description below is on point. In laws were both military and spent a long time based in Germany, they loved the food there and said Westfalen hof is the closest they have had in the states.

Wondervu cafe on the other hand sucks balls
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by miahw2828 View Post
    Yeah, and it's great if you love German food. Very authentic and the decor description below is on point. In laws were both military and spent a long time based in Germany, they loved the food there and said Westfalen hof is the closest they have had in the states.

Wondervu cafe on the other hand sucks balls
    Lived in Wondervu for awhile and ate at the Westfalen Hof a couple times. Way pretentious. Food is fair. Much, much better German restaurant is the Black Forest in Ned.

And yeah, Wondervu Café is ball sucking.

ok, I will no longer want to stop at Wondervu Cafe. Still love that drive, and the spot they have at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Much, much better German restaurant is the Black Forest in Ned.
    Good to know, will have to try that one next
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Just had lunch at El Rancho. Easily the worst meal I've eaten at a restaurant in the last several years. The food took an hour to be delivered, the order was incomplete, and the fucking french fries were half cooked. They made this big production of taking an order off the check and offering us a gift card, which is nice. And then it took 30 minutes for them to ring the check. Restaurant was over staffed for the few tables they had going, and I have never seen so many people look so busy without doing anything. Took an hour and forty minutes for a burger and two sandwiches.

Hey Benny... next time you're living in CO, I've got a gift card for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

I like this thread.

Westfallen Hof: yeah, definitely feels like someone's german grandmother's living room, but the food is adequate IMO, if not exceptional. Might be viable without a reservation? I've never seen it totally full (nor empty).

Wondervu Cafe: certainly not great, but I haven't personally found the ball suckitude to be as extreme as others are suggesting. A smothered burrito and a marg = perfectly adequate if you're in the area and want an ok burrito and slightly-too-sugary marg. I definitely wouldn't make a trip for it though. Nor would I wait long if it's packed (which happens).

Del Norte: Three Barrels brewing. Slightly weird vibe (not a lot of experienced wait staff available around there?) but solid beer and a good stop for sure.

285 grub (a bit too late for Danno's questions...): There's a remarkably great food truck drive through kinda thing in Pine, called Cruz'in, with great (big and tasty) breakfast burritos and stuff. I guess pizza is also part of their gig, though I've never had it. Hours are tight (like, I think it's shut by the time I am usually rolling back on a sunday afternoon/evening). I think the pro move is to call ahead. A couple of visits to Cutthroat Cafe have left me preferring pretty much any other option -- place kinda sucks, I'd say. Yeah, Hog Heaven is solid for bbq.

Has anyone been to Caretta Vieja, a little east of Aspen Park?

And how about that joint that's where Kermit's used to be? Their "famous chili" sign makes me cringe.

Does anything in South Fork not suck ass? I've have several laughably terrible experiences there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Does anything in South Fork not suck ass? I've have several laughably terrible experiences there.
    I actually had some good greasy burgers and stuff at the Malt Shoppe, but that was years ago. Yeah, laughably terrible is part of South Fork's charm.

Did the manitou incline over the weekend with a friend. Checked out a place called "front range bbq" in da springs on the way back. Ordered the pulled pork and brisket, and tried some of the ribs as well, best bbq I've had in the state.

If you like smokin' yards in the other [idaho] springs, then it's worth checking out this place if you're in the area

Wayne's in Superior is the best bbq I've had here, but it's not on the way to anywhere.

I'm a BBQ snob being from the south and all....and I don't consider Brisket to be BBQ....BUT....I had some great brisket in the 5 points area of Denver a couple weeks ago. Nest spot, about 5 food trucks in a lot and a bar and the bar is covered but the rest is open air. Pretty good pork but the Brisket was on point.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Matt, next time you're up this way let's hit Wayne's, they're known for brisket (Texas bbq) but the ribs are what knocked my socks off, so fucking good.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Wayne's in Superior is the best bbq I've had here, but it's not on the way to anywhere.
    ^^^ Waynes rocks. That place seriously brings it. Also on not on the way to anywhere (because its close to Wayne's) is LuLu's in downtown Lousiville that's pretty damn solid if you get bored with Wayne's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

Del Norte: Three Barrels brewing. Slightly weird vibe (not a lot of experienced wait staff available around there?) but solid beer and a good stop for sure.
    I think that's a common problem around here. I live a way up the road (Bayfield) and there's a little dive here called the Bottom Shelf. Great food/beers but the guy can't find staff. Was in there yesterday and the new gal screwed up keying the order into the computer and it never got entered. Was going to go all STFU on her but decided to have another beer and watch the hockey game instead. Great place actually if you're ever coming through.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Matt, next time you're up this way let's hit Wayne's, they're known for brisket (Texas bbq) but the ribs are what knocked my socks off, so fucking good.
    I'll be in town next week...lets do it.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL