Page 35 of 199 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks.

Mechanics are just as bad as the rest of us regarding brand loyalty. I've got friend that have driven Fords, Dodges, Chevys, and 'Yotas (gas and oil burner excepting Tundras) well over 200K. I've also known each one to have major problems below 100K.

You always get the "my wife drives a Chevy half ton" and they are low riders. That said, I know a couple excavator that say they pull big load better than a Cummins or PowerPoke of there you go.

If it is a work truck, my advise would be to figure out exactly what works best for you (interior, topper rack etc.) and think of it like a tool. Take care of it, do your best and budget for eventual replacement as nothing lasts forever.

^^^exactly. We pound every major brand in most frame configurations down backcountry haul roads, mostly with light load, and none were immune to failure around or above 100000km. For personal use, best to step down a notch from what you want to have, step it up a model for work needs. Other than that drive whatever makes you feel good about blowing a couple hundred a month in depreciation/repairs, etc. They all become a pile of scrap sooner than later. Tools not jewels and all that.

Nice morning at Cars&Coffee, wish there were more classics but there was a unimog and a nice Series II. Wanted to bring the GT4 home.

Great venue, too.

Anyone know of a manual for an 06 GMC 3500 LBZ? I have the Haynes manual for the 6.6L engine, but that leaves a lot of YouTube searching - while I've been able to find many answers, there's also a million wrong search results and I really enjoy reading the manuals for insight into a vehicle.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Factory service manuals are almost always the most comprehensive and most accurate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0610 (2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	565.1 KB 
ID:	206640

Not a bad way to spend part of an afternoon.

those old land cruisers were all rust buckets so my money guy told me one of his buddies had a body made out of aluminum by a company that was usually in the business of making fishing boats, I think it might have just been a one off during a slow period but google sez other companies make the parts
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Factory service manuals are almost always the most comprehensive and most accurate.
    Yeah - trying to avoid the $475USD price tag on that, if possible (that's the equivalent of around $37000000CAN)
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

I've always been a car guy, but a truck made a lot of sense. Love it.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I've always been a car guy, but a truck made a lot of sense. Love it.

Did you consider the Canyon or Colorado? Currently thinking about buying either a diesel in the Canyon or Colorado or V6 Tacoma. Would be nice to be able to tow 6,000.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Did you consider the Canyon or Colorado? Currently thinking about buying either a diesel in the Canyon or Colorado or V6 Tacoma. Would be nice to be able to tow 6,000.
    I did. Drove a Colorado and liked it, and with incentives, the price was right. A couple of first-hand accounts of some issues scared me away. I was leaning Toyota anyway, so it didn't take much. FWIW, the new Tacoma is rated at 6,400 with the tow package.

I did. Drove a Colorado and liked it, and with incentives, the price was right. A couple of first-hand accounts of some issues scared me away. I was leaning Toyota anyway, so it didn't take much. FWIW, the new Tacoma is rated at 6,400 with the tow package.
    What were the first hand accounts? I'm trying to go another 4 years to 300k on my F150 so I can get a used diesel F150. But if I can't make it the diesel Colorado is top of my list.

Sent from my XT1575 using TGR Forums mobile app
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I asked about the Canyon here a while back, and forgot to update. Got a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT Diesel earlier in the year and have absolutely loved it so far... averaging some serious gas mileage, though I haven't towed yet.

Name:	IMG_20170212_065613342.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	210090

Name:	IMG_20170218_081059724_HDR.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	436.3 KB 
ID:	210091

Name:	IMG_20170401_193551491.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	210092

Name:	IMG_20170527_062527900_HDR.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	519.3 KB 
ID:	210093

Name:	IMG_20170527_173201219.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	786.3 KB 
ID:	210094

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    What were the first hand accounts? I'm trying to go another 4 years to 300k on my F150 so I can get a used diesel F150. But if I can't make it the diesel Colorado is top of my list.

Sent from my XT1575 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Old acquaintance claims to have lemon lawed his due to electrical issues. Sounds more like they just bought it back. I was cap shopping before I bought and talked for a while with a guy that has a fleet with several new Colorados. All have been to the dealer multiple times, most with electrical issues the dealership couldn't fix or figure out. He had just been to the Toyota dealership and and was looking at caps because he was ready to unload all of the new Chevys. These were all gassers, FWIW.

Grain of salt and all that. The biggest reason I was still considering the Colorado was price. A little conformation bias went a long way in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post
    I asked about the Canyon here a while back, and forgot to update. Got a 2016 GMC Canyon SLT Diesel earlier in the year and have absolutely loved it so far... averaging some serious gas mileage, though I haven't towed yet.
    I have truck envy. What are your fuel mileage/driving habits/roads like?

Old acquaintance claims to have lemon lawed his due to electrical issues. Sounds more like they just bought it back. I was cap shopping before I bought and talked for a while with a guy that has a fleet with several new Colorados. All have been to the dealer multiple times, most with electrical issues the dealership couldn't fix or figure out. He had just been to the Toyota dealership and and was looking at caps because he was ready to unload all of the new Chevys. These were all gassers, FWIW.

Grain of salt and all that. The biggest reason I was still considering the Colorado was price. A little conformation bias went a long way in this case.
    That sucks, I hope it doesn't bleed over to the diesels. In my limited experience GM has more electrical issues, but I thought it may just be my own unique encounters. The place I used to work for around 2010-2011 had 2 new Tahoes and a new 1500 (back then) and they were always having sensor and electrical issues. Apparently the problems have crept into newer models across the line. Bleh.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    I have truck envy. What are your fuel mileage/driving habits/roads like?
    Average mileage after ~9,000 miles hovers around 24mpg, 60/40 highway/city.
    I hit roughly 28-30mpg on the highway in steady state cruise at ~70mph.

That's including losing roughly 1 mpg from the fatter tires/wheels.

I used to drive a much sportier car, so my driving habits have gone from Euro to Granny - I take it pretty easy, slow acceleration, slow around turns, and have a lower cruise of ~70mph instead of my usual 80-85mph.

So far I haven't had any issues with the truck, though still low mileage. I love the quad cab, long bed, it accelerates well uphill at 10,000ft elevation - never been a truck guy, this is my first one and I would never go back. Got a fully loaded SLT trim for around $10k below MSRP since I bought their last 2016 model in January 2017, so I'm stoked with the price-value too.

That's a badass rig, B!

I'm not a truck guy, but am a 80s/90s Ford guy and don't remember ever seeing one of these -

1992 Ford Centurion on ebay - custom built F350/Bronco hybrid by a company called Centurion Coachworks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Ford-F-...BZkvrf&vxp=mtr

Pretty cool rig. 460 BBF w/ a Vortech (no doubt gets single digit gas mileage), but would be a great mountain town war wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post
    I'm not a truck guy, but am a 80s/90s Ford guy and don't remember ever seeing one of these -

1992 Ford Centurion on ebay - custom built F350/Bronco hybrid by a company called Centurion Coachworks

Pretty cool rig. 460 BBF w/ a Vortech (no doubt gets single digit gas mileage), but would be a great mountain town war wagon.
    Yup, there's one around here. Throw a 7.3 in that and it's game over....or an excursion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Yup, there's one around here. Throw a 7.3 in that and it's game over....or an excursion.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Excursion's aren't as kewl. Their tops don't come off.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Why they don't make those, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by tripice351 View Post

I just drove by one a couple hours ago! I knew about centurians since I am a bronco guy but had never seen one it. He was headed up north/south meadow creek outside McAllister MT.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.max...-raptor-2017-4

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk