Page 80 of 199 FirstFirst ... 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I suggest you to buy new base model GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4. Its too much good.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    I have a 2018 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country. Last spring, it got whacked in an accident. While in the shop, I had rentals of a Ford F250 diesel and Ram 2500 diesel.

In terms of ranking, Chevy, Ram, Ford. To my surprise, the Ram was actually quiet, ran good, pulled hard, and the transmission was smooth. The Ford was somewhat more noisy, rougher ride, lacked power compared to the other two, and the transmission didn't shift quite as smooth.

I had the Ford for about 5 weeks and the Ram for about 3. Put lots of miles on both pulling the boat to Nashville several times striper fishing.

A 460hp 6.7 Powerstroke diesel with over 1100ft/lbs of torque "Lacks power" pulling your bass boat to Percy Priest reservoir? God damn son.

BTW, who rented you a new F250 diesel and a Ram 2500 diesel with hitches to haul your boat around?

Quote Originally Posted by sista View Post
    I suggest you to buy new base model GMC 1500 crew cab 4x4. Its too much good.
    Agree. I’m pumped on mine. Got what’s called the custom. It’s what dealers buy for loaners and has a few extra features than the base. Comes with spray in bed liner and blind spot warning. Almost 1900 lbs payload on a 4x4 crew cab and it’s super comfy. Plus I got a huge first responder discount. Drove my dad around in it and he’s now in the market for the same rig. He’s coming from a tundra. Hopefully it proves to be durable.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yup. I drove a brand new, fully loaded Ranger while my F150 was getting a new engine. 2.5 months. I gotta say, it was actually pretty fun. Drove well, good pickup, the turbo runs well. 4cyl w/ turbo. Good gas mileage, electronics and all the components were set up pretty well. Seat heaters were the hottest I've ever had which was nice for my bad back.

However, it was a Ford so it might not make it to 80k without needing a new engine and turbo and it was FUGLY. The front grill makes those little rangers look like they are still trying to be a car or Japanese delivery vehicle. Weird that Ford, the company that started the massive grill fad, didn't send the memo to the Ranger design team.

Also, the pricing, at least for some models was only a little bit short of Tacoma pricing. \
    A 2.4 turbo with a 10 spd in a truck makes me nervous so i never even looked at it

I have driven lots of F-150's / cumins dodges/ powerstroke fords tacoma's / tundra's expediting on shitty roads, the F-150 or tacoma I liked ans would have worked ... ended up tacoma I supose for resale value

the old ranger cost me about 1 K per year to own and nothing broke
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Traded in my '98 Taco... 280K and rust around the windshield was so bad that it would take some serious rigging to get another installed properly...

Still wish I had kept it and turned it into a rock crawler or something.
    The Tacomas were the first Toyota trucks to be built in the US (at the NUMMI Factory, which is now the Tesla factory). For whatever reason(s) Toyota decided that they would outsource the frame building to Dana - with disastrous results. The steel wasn't very good, and the boxed frame sections didn't have adequate drainage. It eventually cost both companies millions in frame replacements and outright buy-backs. Trading/selling it wasn't a bad idea, even if the Ford was.

Now if you had traded for/sold+bought a 3rd gen 4runner...

Dana ended up paying a trivial $25m to Toyota over that [they lost the contract and sold the plants too]. Toyota was on the hook for billion$ for their poor design and specs.
    Equates to Dana buying back about 1600 trucks out of about 200,000. Jus sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Surprising amount of contractors covet them. Neighbor runs a landscaping business, tells anyone he’ll buy their T100s if they want to sell.
    Me too. My brother and I used to have a side hustle that was loosely construction/real estate, so I used to run want ads for them on various Craigslists.

It was my understanding that the settlement between Dana and Toyota was a % split...?

IIRC total number of buybacks were around 15000.

Also IIRC, Toyota replaced the frames on trucks that failed dealer inspection and upped the warranty to to 15 years with a 150% buyback clause on the trucks deemed to be ok. Don't know what the ratio there was. I remember that a friend got a frame and leafs for free, and payed parts only on things he wanted replaced. A friend of a friend took the buyback to the tune of 15k.

I agree that is was Toyota's fault. Dana just built what was spec'ed. That and GM almost going broke put Dana out of business.

And a few years after the dust settled, the same trucks were recalled for leaf springs. smh.

https://www.astm.org/Standards/steel-standards.html

Dana [Spicer] is an entrepreneurial textbook and an American business success from Hell:

...Given the troubles experienced by other tier-one automotive suppliers in chapter 11, Dana's simply emerging from chapter 11 likely would have been considered a success. Emerging from bankruptcy with $2 billion in committed financing, a successfully rationalized corporate structure, a deleveraged cost structure, and new union agreements in place - all achieved within the new and substantially abbreviated deadlines imposed by the revised Bankruptcy Code - is nothing short of remarkable. This transaction was named "Deal of the Year" by the Turnaround Management Association in 2008.

Dana Incorporated is an American supplier of axles, driveshafts, transmissions, and electrodynamic, thermal, sealing, and digital equipment for conventional, hybrid, and electric-powered vehicles. The company's products and services are aimed at the light vehicle, commercial vehicle, and off-highway equipment markets. Founded in 1904 and based in Maumee, Ohio, the company employs nearly 36,000 people in 33 countries. In 2018, Dana generated sales of $8.1 billion. The company is included in the Fortune 500.[2]

------------------------------------------

Your loose description [gleaned from Taco forums, no?] is the sorta thing that gets Toyota truck owners the cult rep. Toyota tried to scapegoat Dana for pure business reasons, and didn't draw much blood. And the whole Toyota contract amounted to, like 6% of Dana's Ohio production, which does not include the 20-odd other places Dana had hot steel manufacturing plants at the time...
    Last edited by highangle; 03-03-2020 at 04:32 PM.

They did the head gaskettes on my 4runer with 90,000kms/ 7 yrs

has long been rumored that the upcoming Tundra, due to appear in 2021 (possibly as a 2022 model), will make use of a twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 hybrid setup sourced from the Lexus line. Power is expected to the tune of 450 hp and 500 lb-ft,
    Wonder how big the fuel tank will be.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    They did the head gaskettes on my 4runer with 90,000kms/ 7 yrs
    They threw in a block heater on my girl's '18 4runer and they give my mom a deal on oil changes in her new Highliner, but if I had to sleep scrunched up I'd still think to look at American trucks.

"Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on Main Street"

Gleaned from experience as much as the Toyota forums, but yeah I've been on them too for as long as I've been here, and obviously have read all of the big topics.

Between my brothers, a couple of friends, and I, we've owned every generation of small pickup and 4runner, tercel and corolla 4wd wagons, and 80s 2 and 4 wd vans. The joke was that we could open a used beater Toyota lot if we weren't such homers. Over the years at least one of us has been through the various service campaigns and recalls, but most of the time we twisted our own wrenches FWIW.

You are right about the cult, but I didn't drink the blind love for yota/blind hate for American koolaid. I honesty thought Dana filed for chapter 11 because Ford and GM were their big customers, with the latter circling the drain in the mid 00s. And Toyota's business didn't help. I had no idea they came out the other side, and wasn't trying to throw any shade there.

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    I have a 2018 Chevy 2500 Diesel High Country. Last spring, it got whacked in an accident. While in the shop, I had rentals of a Ford F250 diesel and Ram 2500 diesel.

In terms of ranking, Chevy, Ram, Ford. To my surprise, the Ram was actually quiet, ran good, pulled hard, and the transmission was smooth. The Ford was somewhat more noisy, rougher ride, lacked power compared to the other two, and the transmission didn't shift quite as smooth.

I had the Ford for about 5 weeks and the Ram for about 3. Put lots of miles on both pulling the boat to Nashville several times striper fishing.
    Interesting. Here in the potato state (lots of ranching and ag) when looking at newish, 3/4 or 1 tons, Ford seems to most prevalent with GM being second. By most accounts, new Rams are time bombs. There are tons of Cummins era Dodges on the road for obvious reasons but they really seem to have receded in popularity. Personally I find the Ford's and GMs to be a matter of preference (as long as you can get past IFS on a big truck), but Dodges felt loose, cheap and their cabins seemed waaaay behind the other two.

I've only got two years and 50k on my 17 F350 6.7L but I've had zero service issues thus far and have been impressed with extreme cold starts, quietness and tight steering. Complaints are few: not great MPG due to smog equipment, very small windshield fluid reservoir, the stereo goes dark a few times a year (easy reset) and my aluminum tailgate got karate chopped and are very expensive to replace (so I didn't). But other than that, it has been better than reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    They threw in a block heater on my girl's '18 4runer and they give my mom a deal on oil changes in her new Highliner, but if I had to sleep scrunched up I'd still think to look at American trucks.

"Arrows of neon and flashing marquees out on Main Street"
    must be tought being a fat american ... thots and prayers eh

A 460hp 6.7 Powerstroke diesel with over 1100ft/lbs of torque "Lacks power" pulling your bass boat to Percy Priest reservoir? God damn son.

BTW, who rented you a new F250 diesel and a Ram 2500 diesel with hitches to haul your boat around?
    Anyone that's driven all 3 of these vehicles knows... made me laugh though. The Dodge and the Chevy are fine trucks. I'm sure I would have been happy with either. There's a reason the super duties command the higher price. And this coming from a guy who was really determined not to be a Ford guy.

Still miss the tundra for daily driving.

Enterprise rented me the trucks. Yep, I'm a Chevy guy. Have several friends who are Ford diesel guys. It's a matter of preference.

As far as the Ford goes, I just didn't think it had the pop the other two had. They all pulled the boat fine from 70-85. The Cummins probably topped the heap on power.

Agreed on the Ram falling apart. And falling apart on resale/trade-in. It was tight, but it had 1,500 miles on it. The Ford had 2,200.

My list of "trucks" is pretty exhaustive, especially if you include the state-owned ones I was assigned.
    Chevy 1500--state
    Jeep J-10--mine
    International Scout--state
    Plymouth Trail Duster--state
    Dodge Ram Charger--state
    Ford F-100--state
    International 3 ton dump--state
    Chevy K-5 Blazer--state
    Dodge Power Wagon--state
    Multiple Jeep Cherokees/Grand Cherokees (4 or 5)
    Multiple Suburban (1) and Denali's (3)
    Chevy 2500 6.0
    Chevy 2500 diesel
    Chevy 2500 diesel
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Boat is a 25 1/2 jet inboard. Boat and trailer weighed 6,450 with half a tank of fuel. Add 110 gallons of water in the bait tank, 917, for a total of 7,367.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

You can actually feel that thing?

I've got a Malibu wake boat, weighs probably 500-750 lbs less than your setup wet, and I only really feel it on 10% plus grades in my DCLB Tundra. Long wheel base makes a ton of difference IMO but that weight should be child's play for a 350 diesel.
    Live Free or Die

must be tought being a fat american ... thots and prayers eh
    Long hours, but thank fuk I didn't go into the music business.

if i sleep in the cab of any vehical its a catnap, sometimes I sleep in the PU bed with a sleeping pad/sleeping bag, either way it will be shitty sleep

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Interesting. Here in the potato state (lots of ranching and ag) when looking at newish, 3/4 or 1 tons, Ford seems to most prevalent with GM being second. By most accounts, new Rams are time bombs. There are tons of Cummins era Dodges on the road for obvious reasons but they really seem to have receded in popularity. Personally I find the Ford's and GMs to be a matter of preference (as long as you can get past IFS on a big truck), but Dodges felt loose, cheap and their cabins seemed waaaay behind the other two.

I've only got two years and 50k on my 17 F350 6.7L but I've had zero service issues thus far and have been impressed with extreme cold starts, quietness and tight steering. Complaints are few: not great MPG due to smog equipment, very small windshield fluid reservoir, the stereo goes dark a few times a year (easy reset) and my aluminum tailgate got karate chopped and are very expensive to replace (so I didn't). But other than that, it has been better than reliable...
    They are so civilized...but absolute fucking beasts when you put a load on them. If I didn't already own a classic F350 that does all them F350 things with classic F350 steeze...

New Superdutys remind me of when a W9L or a 379 with a 600 Cat or ISX and a ZF 18-speed double overdrive into 3.55 diffs was the top of the line Fast Truck... Go about a buck ten weighing 80,000lbs.

But you nailed the CC LB American truck problem way back in this thread - Nightmare in the City.

If I had to contend with high-rise garages on a regular basis...ewww. If I used a truck as some type of mechanized parkour device - a way to escape urban boundaries - I srsly doubt I'd do it in a F350, but that would depend on a lot of other factors.

Many good reasons for small trucks...And for decades, Toyota has been the class of that league. But Tacos? Lotta brand loyalty going on there.
    Last edited by highangle; 03-04-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Any beta on the new Ford Ranger? The reviews I'm seeing online are mixed at best and it looks like the 2020 isn't a big upgrade. I have an F-150 now. It's fine, don't really love it and it's just too big for what I need. I just don’t need a full size truck anymore, but not fully committed to going to a wagon of some sort. I hunt/fish just enough that I think a truck is still probably in play. Long story, but I should try and stick with Ford to keep family politics in-line.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

After the old ranger went " sunset " Ford was just gona go with the F-150 cuz its been the most popular vehical in NA for decades

But the mid sized market was just too strong, Toyota dumped the mini PU design for the midsized Tacoma which has been a huge hit in spite of what you read in this thread and then GM has put out the Colorado

I thot about the ranger but it only comes with a 2.4 turbo with a 10spd to keep it on the boil

in the words of dirty harry ... do you feel lucky punk ?

if i sleep in the cab of any vehical its a catnap, sometimes I sleep in the PU bed with a sleeping pad/sleeping bag, either way it will be shitty sleep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andy-cochrane-truck_h.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	318868

Attachment 318867

https://www.outsideonline.com/236699...-toyota-tacoma