Page 59 of 199 FirstFirst ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I could get in to the Rivian if it had a small diesel generator that would charge batteries as needed. Slow off road driving is going to consume a lot more power than cruising highways in ideal conditions. Not actually to power the car but just charge the batteries unlike the current hybrid cars like the Prius. Wouldn't use hardly any fuel, make it WVO/Biodiesel compatible for bonus environmental points. The thought of a driving an electric car in the mountains scares the hell out of me... I want something for a backup. OOPS Batteries were inefficient due to cold and your range dropped 30%, guess you're gonna need to get towed to the nearest charging station 100 miles away!

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    I could get in to the Rivian if it had a small diesel generator that would charge batteries as needed. Slow off road driving is going to consume a lot more power than cruising highways in ideal conditions. Not actually to power the car but just charge the batteries unlike the current hybrid cars like the Prius. Wouldn't use hardly any fuel, make it WVO/Biodiesel compatible for bonus environmental points. The thought of a driving an electric car in the mountains scares the hell out of me... I want something for a backup. OOPS Batteries were inefficient due to cold and your range dropped 30%, guess you're gonna need to get towed to the nearest charging station 100 miles away!
    You could probably mount a Honda generator in the bed. That would be pretty funny. Just let the generator run all night at the campsite.

How many miles do you think the average Tacoma driver goes offroad anyway? Guarantee it is less than 100.

I asked the Tesla dealer about mountain driving and how the cold affects the batteries but they never got me an answer. Definitely saw a shitton of Teslas driving around all winter here in CO this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    You could probably mount a Honda generator in the bed. That would be pretty funny. Just let the generator run all night at the campsite.

How many miles do you think the average Tacoma driver goes offroad anyway? Guarantee it is less than 100.

I asked the Tesla dealer about mountain driving and how the cold affects the batteries but they never got me an answer. Definitely saw a shitton of Teslas driving around all winter here in CO this year though.
    I guess I'm thinking of the scenario of driving from a city to the mountains, driving in the mountains and then driving home. Maybe I'm just a Luddite.

I guess I'm thinking of the scenario of driving from a city to the mountains, driving in the mountains and then driving home. Maybe I'm just a Luddite.
    I've always wondered why no auto mfg'r went this route with a "hybrid" vehicle. Seems like a small, well-built generator would last forever and eliminating all the drivetrain nonsense would further reduce a vehicle's maintenance requirements.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but its seems like it would be a good way to roll...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Seems like a small, well-built generator would last forever and eliminating all the drivetrain nonsense would further reduce a vehicle's maintenance requirements
    I think you’ve answered your own question.

Slow off road driving is going to consume a lot more power than cruising highways in ideal conditions.
    Somewhat disagree. Slower speed should use less watts not more. Individual motors for each wheel, like portals with no drive line. No idling, which, in addition to low range high friction gearing kills mileage in off road internal combustion engines. It sounds cool right?

But who’s really gonna risk wheeling their $100k? Or ford a river a meter deep? The .001% who can afford to burn it?

I could get in to the Rivian if it had a small diesel generator that would charge batteries as needed. Not actually to power the car but just charge the batteries unlike the current hybrid cars like the Prius. Wouldn't use hardly any fuel, make it WVO/Biodiesel compatible for bonus environmental points. The thought of a driving an electric car in the mountains scares the hell out of me... I want something for a backup. OOPS Batteries were inefficient due to cold and your range dropped 30%, guess you're gonna need to get towed to the nearest charging station 100 miles away!
    This is how many city busses work, in addition to using a CNG as a fuel source for very clean combustion. It could be an ideal solution for the truck market IMO.

Hmmm, thinking I need to save a few coin over the next 3-4 years when I'll be in the market for a new truck, and maybe the price will come down a tad on that Rivian? Or with inflation, it will cost more? Who the heck knows. But that mid-range model might just be the ticket for the kind of driving I do. Guessing the big rich city folk would have no issues with the range on it either. I could see a lot of mtn town folks in CO and Utah driving this truck. Heck all those rich city folk in Seattle would pay cash and not think twice about it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    I think you’ve answered your own question.
    You make a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Somewhat disagree. Slower speed should use less watts not more. Individual motors for each wheel, like portals with no drive line. No idling, which, in addition to low range high friction gearing kills mileage in off road internal combustion engines. It sounds cool right?

But who’s really gonna risk wheeling their $100k? Or ford a river a meter deep? The .001% who can afford to burn it?
    I dunno, I see plenty of airborne Ford Raptors and rolled Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds, so...

Good point on the low speed, I didn't think about it that way.

This is how many city busses work, in addition to using a CNG as a fuel source for very clean combustion. It could be an ideal solution for the truck market IMO.
    Trains too. They get insane fuel mileage when you consider what they are.

Trains too. They get insane fuel mileage when you consider what they are.
    Steel wheel on a steel track, grades that never exceed 3%, and relatively low speeds (in 'Merica, where we can't have nice things) is no small part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Steel wheel on a steel track, grades that never exceed 3%, and relatively low speeds (in 'Merica, where we can't have nice things) is no small part of that.
    Not to mention the reduction in wind resistance and that acceleration and deceleration are very infrequent.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Not to mention the reduction in wind resistance and that acceleration and deceleration are very infrequent.
    To keep piling on, loco engines are massive, and large engines are inherently more efficient than small ones.

I feel like a train is being run on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    To keep piling on, loco engines are massive .
    A matter of perspective, my kid used to rewind those ^^ and he called them small
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I've always wondered why no auto mfg'r went this route with a "hybrid" vehicle. Seems like a small, well-built generator would last forever and eliminating all the drivetrain nonsense would further reduce a vehicle's maintenance requirements.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but its seems like it would be a good way to roll...
    There's the Chevy Volt and BMW i3?

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    There's the Chevy Volt and BMW i3?
    Ah - that's cool. Didn't know that those were available. Makes sense, though...

A few thoughts.

1) Between the Bollinger, Rivian, and whatever comes out of Tesla soon, there will be an electric pickup market soon... and then add whatever GM et. al come up with or invest in.

2) we have seen ridiculous amounts of investment in charging opportunities around our valley... granted there is a niche market for EV here.. but I can't imagine that other CO mountain towns won't be too far behind with what the market for this will be in the front range.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    But who’s really gonna risk wheeling their $100k? Or ford a river a meter deep?
    72k I think.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    A few thoughts.

1) Between the Bollinger, Rivian, and whatever comes out of Tesla soon, there will be an electric pickup market soon... and then add whatever GM et. al come up with or invest in.

2) we have seen ridiculous amounts of investment in charging opportunities around our valley... granted there is a niche market for EV here.. but I can't imagine that other CO mountain towns won't be too far behind with what the market for this will be in the front range.
    I read the other day that Ford was investing pretty heavily in the Rivian.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I read the other day that Ford was investing pretty heavily in the Rivian.
    I couldn't remember if it was Ford or GM, but yeah... that is what I was thinking about.

bollinger already moved from upstate new york to Michigan to be occupy an old auto facility from what I remember.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

$500M for their own vehicle designed by Rivian, so not the truck that Rivian has been pimping, but something else.
    https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...ment-ford.html

I think Ford announced an all electric F150 as soon as 2021 MY a few months ago.

Rivian firing on all cylinders.... uh.... batteries.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I think this play into my theory that Tesla as a standalone company will probably go bankrupt. The cost of being an old line manufacturer and worldwide procurement of parts is probably best left to those who do it best. However, eventually, the technology from places like rivian or tesla would be best being licensed to Ford, GM etc. They may not be up to snuff on the EV thing, but when it comes to stamping metal and paint and all the other things, they do a good job. I'd love to see an F150 with Rivian Tech driving it.
    The front end of the truck looks terrible, but the specs from what I've read seem legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I think Ford announced an all electric F150 as soon as 2021 MY a few months ago.
    I just met a sales guy who worked for a startup founded by a few MIT guys. They just sold out to Ford. They were developing electric trucks in some capacity. Our conversation was interrupted by work...so I never got exact details.