Page 135 of 199 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I'd make an effort to get it in a shop vs mobile repair.
    yeah don't the instalers need to glue windshields into the vehical and have it sit in a shop while the glue drys ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

$370 sounds like a number I'd have a hard time justifying sticking it to the man by fibbing. $3700 and I'd have a debate with myself. Jake from State Farm once paid for a pitted windshield as it was deemed a safety issue at the time. But that was before every car's windshield got pitted by year 5. They don't make windshields like they used to .
    Jake told me to suck rocks the last time I asked.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah don't the instalers need to glue windshields into the vehical and have it sit in a shop while the glue drys ??
    No

Mobile is totally normal

If a shop is local I use that so I can drop the truck off for the day.

Windshield replacements here are free with most basic insurance, and in my experience are always mobile with no need for customer to be there. Park at work in the morning, come out in the afternoon to a beautiful new glass with no money out of pocket.

Vibes to you guys who can't get this kind of service

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I bought baseline trucks

In 2010 Ford had speced a bunch of Rangers at $6600 off cuz they were pulling the plug on the production line so with rubber floor mats, manual windows shitty radio but still a 4.0 liter 5spd 4x4 V6 with air and not much else was still only 19K while the full load Ranger was more like 26K

In 2019 the cheapest Tacoma on the lot still had heated seats/ air/ power windows but even the stripped Tacoma was not very stripped for 42K and full load was 60ish

I think it might be hard to get a stripped PU unless it can be pecifically order stripped, and to do so you might have to be a really big customer ?
    I assume that’s Canadian dollars?
    And maybe they’re only sending the ones w/ heated seats up narth because I actually had a sorta hard time finding one down in the lower 48 in 2020.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I guess I have ghetto insurance cause I have to pay the $500 deductible......and Safelite doesn't do mobile in my town anymore for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I guess I have ghetto insurance cause I have to pay the $500 deductible......and Safelite doesn't do mobile in my town anymore for some reason.
    Most insurance co's do glass policies by state. Ex. In Colorado to have zero deductible glass for 2 cars comes out to ~$150/year on top of my normal policy. In some states they can include it in comprehensive because you don't spend half the year driving behind dump trucks pouring gravel on the road. If you call your ins co you can probably add glass coverage, wait a month, and get it replaced. But the rate may or may not be worth it.

I had the same deal with insurance deductible. My mobile installer didn’t reinstall the wipers all the way, which sucked, but was easy to fix (in the rain).

Going back to a post from a while ago......I fixed my headlights on my Tundra. The $10 restoration kit at Home Depot actually works.
    It works, but if it's like my old 4Runner it will get hazy in months

I can understand some people’s wanting for all the frills and the higher trim lines, but not everybody wants that and would prefer to pay less. In some counties, these vehicles are apparently available with the full suite of trim lines. The sales are lower for each trims, because of the # of skus for the brand model, competition from other brands, and lower population size, but the various trim lines and options are still (apparently) available in those countries. I think there’s some metric related to the population and the # of dealerships that would need to carry a few in each trim that keeps them from being sold in the US.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Most insurance co's do glass policies by state. Ex. In Colorado to have zero deductible glass for 2 cars comes out to ~$150/year on top of my normal policy. In some states they can include it in comprehensive because you don't spend half the year driving behind dump trucks pouring gravel on the road. If you call your ins co you can probably add glass coverage, wait a month, and get it replaced. But the rate may or may not be worth it.
    Yeah, my rate is really cheap and I'm guessing in SWMT to add windshield coverage would be a ton more. So many rocks on the road.

I have some guy that barely speaks English that does windshields for $220 and takes credit cards.

I have no idea how that's possible if the glass isn't stolen. I buy at least a half dozen every spring, so I don't ask questions.

Manufacturers also package options in ways that force higher trims. The new Land Cruiser is a perfect example where triple lockers are only available on the GR trim. I was looking at an MB E class wagon a while back and the only way to get heated front seats was through additional packages that cost thousands . Heated seats.

Yeah, my rate is really cheap and I'm guessing in SWMT to add windshield coverage would be a ton more. So many rocks on the road.
    Last time I priced out windshield coverage, it only penciled out if you had to replace your windshield every 2-3 years. If you're on a ~5 year replacement timeframe, it's cheaper to just pay for the windshield yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I assume that’s Canadian dollars?
    And maybe they’re only sending the ones w/ heated seats up narth because I actually had a sorta hard time finding one down in the lower 48 in 2020.
    Pointing out the range of what the extra's do to the price of a new truck IME, but yeah those figures were of course in canuck dollars, the heated seats and and already mounted block heater I wonder if its a " narthern package " ?

at 19K in CAN$ the Ranger might have been THE cheapest 4x4 in Canada at that time, the dealer ( also my neighbor ) told me the biggest market for Rangers was of all places Manitoba, I should have asked if that was just in Canada. I think Ranger came with a block heater instaled and I mounted a battery warmer T'd into the block heater plug

kudo's for recognizing the existence of another country and the proper use of " narth "

I was replacing windsheilds every year (300 deductible ) cuz i would get 2 doz rock chips, at some point i just stopped replacing them so I just look thru the windshield and don't look at the cracks a "forest and tree " kind of thing

I had a cars that they glued the windshields into, it might have been the golfs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Going back to a post from a while ago......I fixed my headlights on my Tundra. The $10 restoration kit at Home Depot actually works.
    Same issue and going to follow your skin track, being a 2010 here might replace come spring still.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    You or your glass installer need to tell a fib to the insurance company.
    I was just about to type "throw a spark plug at it"

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Windshield replacements here are free with most basic insurance, and in my experience are always mobile with no need for customer to be there. Park at work in the morning, come out in the afternoon to a beautiful new glass with no money out of pocket.

Vibes to you guys who can't get this kind of service
    Your installer is fibbing for you. They get paid for replacing windshields. I wouldn't look into it and keep doing what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    You would be amazed how cheap the actual windshield is.
    "Windshield Replacement Costs
    Typically, the cost of a windshield replacement is between $100-$400, including labor with the average cost ranging between $210-230. Collectible cars and luxury vehicles can jump the price to as high as $1,500 but it all depends on the vehicle.Oct 4, 2017"

I guess I paid a normal amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Your installer is fibbing for you. They get paid for replacing windshields. I wouldn't look into it and keep doing what you're doing.
    certainty not going to question it but as far as I can remember free replacment has always been the deal here in Mass. at least for the past 20+ years that I've been driving

maybe our insurance policies are different given that likely 98% of consumers rarely see any road surfaces that aren't smooth pavement.

(totally pulled that number out of my ass, but can't imagine it's too far off)
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 11-22-2021 at 04:23 PM.

I don't think I've ever paid more than $275 to replace a windshield on a vehicle here in Colorado - and I've had a bunch replaced. I don't even *know* if my insurance covers it. I just pay the company to replace when cracks get in my field of vision.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    No

Mobile is totally normal

If a shop is local I use that so I can drop the truck off for the day.
    Yeah it's normal, and in the summer no big deal. It just has to be a superior job when everything is nice and warm including the mechanic. I figure it's got to up the odds on getting a non-leaky install.

If you’re coming through Spokane anytime with that broken windshield there’s a brick and mortar shop that does windshields for almost everything for $175.

Debating getting rid of the '04 Chevy K2500 for a new Tacoma. The Chevy is in good shape, nearly rust-free and runs good, I've had it on synthetic since it was new and it has synthetic tranny and transfer case fluid too.

But, it's way bigger than I need, chugs gas, and stuff is starting to go wrong with it on a regular basis, enough that a payment on something new would bepretty much a wash over the last year,

One thing I was kinda thinking about, with all the supply chain shit, a truck that needs parts on the reg could be a problem. I just got the front hubs replaced and they said it could wait a while but they were almost out of the good parts they usually use and were scrambling for alternatives so I went ahead and did it now.

I dunno, I'm torn. It's been a good truck, but...well I dunno. Latest thing is the right turn signal, there's a gremlin in the electrical somewhere, maybe it will be easy to fix, maybe not. It goes back in the shop next week and I just got it out 2 weeks ago.

What sez ye?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Debating getting rid of the '04 Chevy K2500 for a new Tacoma. The Chevy is in good shape, nearly rust-free and runs good, I've had it on synthetic since it was new and it has synthetic tranny and transfer case fluid too.

But, it's way bigger than I need, chugs gas, and stuff is starting to go wrong with it on a regular basis, enough that a payment on something new would bepretty much a wash over the last year,

One thing I was kinda thinking about, with all the supply chain shit, a truck that needs parts on the reg could be a problem. I just got the front hubs replaced and they said it could wait a while but they were almost out of the good parts they usually use and were scrambling for alternatives so I went ahead and did it now.

I dunno, I'm torn. It's been a good truck, but...well I dunno. Latest thing is the right turn signal, there's a gremlin in the electrical somewhere, maybe it will be easy to fix, maybe not. It goes back in the shop next week and I just got it out 2 weeks ago.

What sez ye?

I'd be waiting on the Tundra hybrid since you produce your own power unless you just want 2 doors, not 4.