Page 168 of 199 FirstFirst ... 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    the fact someones trying to call the Maverick a truck reduces the 1 ball for hybrid to zero.
    El Camino light?

I've seen a few of them around here in Central Oregon. Actually doesn't look too bad. They just need to come out with a long bed version. You know, something that's 60".
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    El Camino light?

I've seen a few of them around here in Central Oregon. Actually doesn't look too bad. They just need to come out with a long bed version. You know, something that's 60".
    Australia has a lot of utes like those.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

You know, something that's 60".
    So, Subaru Brat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jtbrat2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	426879

If the bed is attached to the body, is it really a truck?
    "Let's be careful out there."

El Camino light?

The El Camino is a decent comparison in use case. We have a Transit Connect, which is awesome for hauling a lot of things, and this will cover most of the rest. The Maverick's is 54in, and the length with the tailgate down is ~78. That's enough for me to put the mountain bikes over the tailgate and carry a small motorcycle with the tailgate down. Sheet goods will stick off the back, but that's still easier than the roof of my van and I suspect easier than the much higher bed of my friend's Tundra which I currently borrow for such things (where they still stick out). I generally buy dirt/mulch in bags as i have a van, but if I for some reason want to get a yard dumped in, I'll just build a little plywood bed extender for the tailgate, though I think a yard would fit without it, It would just be hard to dump in. I might have to make an extra dump run vs. a 6-8 ft bed, but the dump is like 8 minutes away, so it's tolerable. The max payload is 1500 lbs, so comparable to most current midsized trucks (at least in their 4 door configuration). It's just the loading to be figured out.

But really, aside from the bikes, I don't do any of those things that often - maybe a few times a year each - so it's worth putting up with the minor extra hassle in exchange for the 40mpg and ease of driving/parking. And even the difficulties of the small bed are partially offset by it being so low. I've loaded/unloaded thousands of pounds of gravel/limestone/brush in my life and am much happier with a low bed height.

Though don't get me wrong, I'll definitely hit up Rev Floater for further advice on a lift, mud terrains, and rear window flag decals once it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    If the bed is attached to the body, is it really a truck?
    I'm ambivalent on whether the Maverick is a truck, but I do think that you'll have to come to terms with unibody trucks in general soon. Unibody just makes way too much sense with electric vehicle architecture, so while Ford electrified the F150 by basically just dropping batteries within the ladder frame, I suspect that you won't see that approach again going forward. Even interviews I've read with Ford suggest that they see it as a stop gap approach.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    The El Camino is a decent comparison in use case. We have a Transit Connect, which is awesome for hauling a lot of things, and this will cover most of the rest. The Maverick's is 54in, and the length with the tailgate down is ~78. That's enough for me to put the mountain bikes over the tailgate and carry a small motorcycle with the tailgate down. Sheet goods will stick off the back, but that's still easier than the roof of my van and I suspect easier than the much higher bed of my friend's Tundra which I currently borrow for such things (where they still stick out). I generally buy dirt/mulch in bags as i have a van, but if I for some reason want to get a yard dumped in, I'll just build a little plywood bed extender for the tailgate, though I think a yard would fit without it, It would just be hard to dump in. I might have to make an extra dump run vs. a 6-8 ft bed, but the dump is like 8 minutes away, so it's tolerable. The max payload is 1500 lbs, so comparable to most current midsized trucks (at least in their 4 door configuration). It's just the loading to be figured out.

But really, aside from the bikes, I don't do any of those things that often - maybe a few times a year each - so it's worth putting up with the minor extra hassle in exchange for the 40mpg and ease of driving/parking. And even the difficulties of the small bed are partially offset by it being so low. I've loaded/unloaded thousands of pounds of gravel/limestone/brush in my life and am much happier with a low bed height.

Though don't get me wrong, I'll definitely hit up Rev Floater for further advice on a lift, mud terrains, and rear window flag decals once it arrives.
    Holla at your boy!

Edit: I hope you know I was joking. The minute they come out with an EV truck that suits my needs, I’ll be all over it. But yeah, I do love trucks.
    Last edited by The Reverend Floater; 09-19-2022 at 08:14 PM.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I didn't want to wait a year (+/-) on a Maverick order so I got a Hyundai Santa Cruz - the slightly more refined, urban version of the Maverick. Not really a truck by any stretch but it does everything I need it to and it has a respectable 5,000 pound towing capacity. I average about 28.5mpg. I know there are plenty of people with real use cases for real trucks, I'm just not one of em

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    I didn't want to wait a year (+/-) on a Maverick order so I got a Hyundai Santa Cruz - the slightly more refined, urban version of the Maverick. Not really a truck by any stretch but it does everything I need it to and it has a respectable 5,000 pound towing capacity. I average about 28.5mpg. I know there are plenty of people with real use cases for real trucks, I'm just not one of em

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Now it’s time to purchase a raft to tow behind your wannabe truck!

Maverick hybrid is only FWD?

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Maverick hybrid is only FWD?
    Yeah, weird.

Is there a decent hybrid all wheel or 4 wheel drive truck? I thought Honda would have launched a hybrid Ridgeline by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, weird.

Is there a decent hybrid all wheel or 4 wheel drive truck? I thought Honda would have launched a hybrid Ridgeline by now.
    Was talkin to a guy in a Rivian in the Brighton parking lot the other day and his was “all wheel drive”. Haven’t done any research on the system used by Rivian.

At least around here if you’re buying a truck it better be able to spin all 4 wheels or you’re gonna find yourself having trouble in many different scenarios, even before the snow starts flyin.

How decent it is depends on what you want from it, but Toyota Tundra?

Yeah, weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, Tundra Hybrid looks pretty sweet. It's a half ton, so you get what you get with that, but better MPG and more torque than a gas Tundra.

The Tundra Hybrid doesn't look sweet in person or in photos. It is super ugly. The Toyota design style for their hybrids has been awful for so long now

They definitely douched it up to fit with other new trucks

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    The Toyota design style has been awful for so long now
    Fixed it for you. And i am a long time Toyota SUV guy.
    sigless.

Yeah, weird.

This is actually why I didn't order last year. I was waiting for an AWD hybrid to be released. But my commuter car is potentially on its last legs and I want something with a bed for lugging a motorcycle/basic house stuff, so I went with the hybrid. I've been driving FWD vehicles to many questionable places for years, so I'm sure it would be fine, but if they announce an AWD hybrid before I would take delivery, I'll likely cancel to switch to that.

I’ve commented before about how the one-motor-per-wheel Rivian 4WD is so much more advanced than pretty much anything on the road that it’s hard for our brains to understand if we cavemen come from a world of conventional lockable or Torsten diffs. And then you factor in the inherent ground clearance advantage of not having a big diff housing near the middle of the truck…an inherent issue with ICE drivetrains unless you go with expensive and friction-adding portal axles.

But the question above was not about BEVs, it was about hybrid gas/electric trucks with decent 4WD.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Yeah, not sure how that’s possible in a hybrid truck, but makes total sense in an all electric.

Cool tech.
    Butterface.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Australia has a lot of utes like those.
    Evidently you could/can have one here too: https://lefthandutes.com/about.html

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I’ve commented before about how the one-motor-per-wheel Rivian 4WD is so much more advanced than pretty much anything on the road that it’s hard for our brains to understand if we cavemen come from a world of conventional lockable or Torsten diffs. And then you factor in the inherent ground clearance advantage of not having a big diff housing near the middle of the truck…an inherent issue with ICE drivetrains unless you go with expensive and friction-adding portal axles.

But the question above was not about BEVs, it was about hybrid gas/electric trucks with decent 4WD.
    Yeah I realized after I posted that I had drifted from the question. Will check that vid tho thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah, I guess I just don't really know what a hybrid is. In my mind you should be able to drive X amount all electric and then use ice. Or both at the same time. The Tundra only get 20ish mpg and max speed all electric is 30mph? I'm looking for 40+ mpg at least. I'd take that with zero electric only if it ran a combo battery/ice full time. I haven't researched anything enough.
    Last edited by jackstraw; 09-21-2022 at 07:36 AM.

To be clear, the Toyotas are always using the electric motor, and the ICE supplements over whatever speed / power demand / charge.

But yeah, given your parameters the Tundra isn't what you're looking for. And I agree that it's fugly IRL (my neighbor has one). There are a lot of Rivians in my hood too, and they're not as cartoonish in person.