Page 167 of 199 FirstFirst ... 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,151 to 4,175 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I bought an 03 with 36k on the clock for ~$17,500 in 2012.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

It's #1 reason I got a Chevy as a beater rather than a Toyota. The Toyota tax is real and it doesn't make that much sense. My Toyotas need plenty of maintenance and the parts aren't cheap.

Tell me about it. I'm ~4k in this year on my 03. Its about time to think about upgrading, but, a car payment sounds awful.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

It was a 1990 4-runer ( 1st yr of the 4 dr) but IME driving it hard/ putting it away wet everything broke or wore just like any other vehical,

at some point I was spending so much money on gas & maintenance it cost the same to buy & run a brand new VW TDi no money down

I kept it past 300K km but in retrospect looking at the stuff that broke/ wore out I should have flogged it before 300K

the new tacoma is flawless but I hardly drive it compared to the road warrior days
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Yeah, cause it's totally common for 20 year American trucks to be driving around with 300,000 plus miles on them. I see them everywhere! /s

Lol

When I go to the newer suburbs I see primarily new SUVs driving around.

When I'm in older suburbs and rural areas I see 90s Ford and Chevy pickups 10x more than I see a Mercedes as an example. 20 years old is only a 2002 so those are everywhere. Just about every Ford Econoline or Chevy van you see on the road is 20 years old.

So yeah man real truck drivers are still using those old trucks above 300k no problem.

Things don't rust here in Colorado so that's another reason. Too bad old Toyota pickup beds rust to pieces no matter the location

I knew I'd get a bite. I chose 20 because I see lots of 25+ domestic trucks around here (no salt, not much rust) but at some point the reliability tanked, and people dumped them. I don't really see a lot of high milers, but everyone I know has old Japanese or new American, so selection bias.

Yeah, the Toyota rust issue has never really been sorted. And as you said oem parts are ungodly expensive. But there's a reason they fight wars with Hiluxes.

Your bait tastes like wonder bread. Try harder.

Regular dudes still drive old trucks and vans because they are super reliable. The boss on the job site has the new truck so he can have ventilated seats and apple car play.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Your bait tastes like wonder bread. Try harder.
    Can we expand on this? I'm intrigued.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

What if I like wonder bread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Who doesn't?

Yeah, cause it's totally common for 20 year American trucks to be driving around with 300,000 plus miles on them. I see them everywhere! /s
    My brothers f150 has over 460,000 now. Damn near 30 yrs old. Parts have been replaced, sure, but nothing rebuilt yet. Thing runs fuckin great!

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Who doesn't?
    Yuck

Just goes to show how many drive pick-ups as grocery-getters.

Just kidding. Sort of.
    No work pick-up in this area survives past 200k km without getting something major rebuilt. No matter who manufacturers it. My ‘03 taco would not win any beauty prizes, had the rear suspension heavily upgraded, with 280k on the odom. I am continually amazed at the condition so many of her sisters look south of the border with same or more km on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Just goes to show how many drive pick-ups as grocery-getters.

Just kidding. Sort of.
    No work pick-up in this area survives past 200k km without getting something major rebuilt. No matter who manufacturers it. My ‘03 taco would not win any beauty prizes, had the rear suspension heavily upgraded, with 280k on the odom. I am continually amazed at the condition so many of her sisters look south of the border with same or more km on them.
    Oh yeah, it's a work pickup alright.
    He has new suspension and shit like that. Parts have been replaced in t/c(range fork) and trans(shift rail and shift fork, done w/out pulling trans from pickup) and of course a few clutches now. T/c and trans were not completely torn down and rebuilt. No motor rebuild and both axles no work other than regular maintenance(brakes, ball joints, fluids etc more than likely rear wheel bearing, doubtful fron WB's have been replaced). Things been loaded the fuck up with tools and living shit and driven up the cassiar SLC/Valdez 5800mi there and
    back. Been up BCC/LCC 1.5 million times etc
    Last edited by tuco; 08-10-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Shoutout to BobMC for being a stand up mechanic and business owner here in SLC.
    did ~3k in work on my taco, one brake went out about two months later, warrantied and replaced at no charge. cracked a leaf that they had replaced within the warranty, got that taken care of, then they helped me when my hood latch led me to a full on tommy boy situation.

I think my truck might be trying to tell me something.

My buddy was a car guy built hot rods messed with old cars, lived close to the border, he said you get a car on the Canadian side and its rusted but the same car 5kms away on the other side in washington will have no rust and he claimed they used salt on the canadian side but not on the USA side cuz its rural

I don't see many old trucks or cars that aren't rusted up here

I seen my old 4-runer maybe 5 yrs after i traded it for the TDi , the drivers side was very rusted but the passenger side was not there was a real disparity one side to the other, i figure the drivers side was getting road splash from oncoming traffic which is why it was so much more rusted

I had really expected less shit to wear out/ go wrong with the 4-runer but that was not what happened, maybe cuz it was 1st year of a new model ?

They do use salt in Washington, just way, way less of it. And it's usually in the form of brine as opposed to the massive chunks of rock salt they use in BC.

And it's not because it's rural, it's because they are trying to not disrupt the fish-bearing streams and rivers with excessive salinity.

I ordered a Maverick hybrid today.

Do they automatically mail me my Truck Nuts or do I have to register somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I ordered a Maverick hybrid today.

Do they automatically mail me my Truck Nuts or do I have to register somewhere?
    With the hybrid you only get one truck nut.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    With the hybrid you only get one truck nut.

Sent from my SM-G935P using TGR Forums mobile app
    Might even be a tampon.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Small blue balls, like my friend has hanging under the back of his Prius. Which is hilarious.

the fact someones trying to call the Maverick a truck reduces the 1 ball for hybrid to zero.

The mid '80s through mid '90s was a great time to be a motorsports fan.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    the guy I was doing expediting of food into morrison and the fire camps told me they spent an average of 5000$ a year keeping the trucks going on the forestry roads into the bush,

I had just told buddy I ran over a furrow from a grader that had ripped out the oil pan ( I thot ) but he didnt even flinch, as it turned out it just put a hole in the end of the oil filter, tow it in do an oil change and it was good to go

destroy a 20" tire out on east ootsa, depending on the time of year the suspension would always be into the snubbers there was not much you could do but hit things, I hated that international box van, I pretty much quit that gig
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-19-2022 at 12:20 PM.