Page 92 of 112 FirstFirst ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2784

Thread: Trucks.

  1. #2276
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Orangina
    Posts
    7,913
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've been spending a lot of time researching Ford F250 and F350 for a new camper hauling truck. For 2021 at least, the F350 SRW gets you (vs F250) higher carrying and towing capacity, and a manufacturer's sticker validating it. The F350 with 6.2L gas motor gets you the 10-speed transmission that is also used with the diesel (F250 6.2 comes with a lighter duty 6-speed).

    The 6.2 seems to be reliable - has been in production around a decade. There's a newer and more powerful 7.3 gas motor that isn't much more $, and comes with the 10-speed in 250/350, but I'd like to see a longer history on a Ford motor before I'd go for it.

    I don't want a diesel, so looking only at gas motors.

    I'm about 95% sure I'm ordering a F350. I like GM drivetrain, but dislike the interior and front end on current ones, and am tired of GM IFS. The Rams look the nicest to me, inside and out - but I have reliability concerns. So... Ford.
    I own a 2017 F350 6.7L. You will love it. Only thing I've done to it was to swap out the stock shocks for Fox 2.0's ($360?). Not a single problem and they drive fantastic, especially for a one ton.

  2. #2277
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I've been spending a lot of time researching Ford F250 and F350 for a new camper hauling truck. For 2021 at least, the F350 SRW gets you (vs F250) higher carrying and towing capacity, and a manufacturer's sticker validating it. The F350 with 6.2L gas motor gets you the 10-speed transmission that is also used with the diesel (F250 6.2 comes with a lighter duty 6-speed).

    The 6.2 seems to be reliable - has been in production around a decade. There's a newer and more powerful 7.3 gas motor that isn't much more $, and comes with the 10-speed in 250/350, but I'd like to see a longer history on a Ford motor before I'd go for it.

    I don't want a diesel, so looking only at gas motors.

    I'm about 95% sure I'm ordering a F350. I like GM drivetrain, but dislike the interior and front end on current ones, and am tired of GM IFS. The Rams look the nicest to me, inside and out - but I have reliability concerns. So... Ford.

    You can get a lot of real world feedback on the 7.3 at rv.net already. This motor is being used in motorhomes, pulling 5'vers and of course truck campers.
    Last edited by Hopeless Sinner; 03-09-2021 at 05:17 PM.

  3. #2278
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,246
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I own a 2017 F350 6.7L. You will love it. Only thing I've done to it was to swap out the stock shocks for Fox 2.0's ($360?). Not a single problem and they drive fantastic, especially for a one ton.
    I'm a fan of Bilsteins. Eventually they end up on every vehicle we own.

    Aside from getting the camper suspension package, part of my custom order reason is to get the factory skidplates ($100) without the FX4 package ($400), which includes Rancho shocks. I've never liked Rancho.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  4. #2279
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    You can get a lot of real world feedback on the 7.3 at rv.net already. This motor is being used in motorhomes, 5'vers and of course truck campers.
    Thanks. My understanding is that 7.3 only came out in 2020, maybe 2019, so there's not a long history with it.

    Ford doesn't have a stellar history with new motors. 5.4 and V10 plug issues, many problems with their 6.0 and 6.4 diesels... I don't want to be their beta tester, and the 6.2 is powerful enough for my use.

    Thinking about whether to get 3.73 vs 4.30 axle gearing though. I'm ordering the rear locker, so that option cost is the same for either gear. Leaning 4.30, as the 10-speed transmission has very low OD gearing, so freeway RPM shouldn't be too high.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  5. #2280
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,481
    A camper will be in back of the truck most of the time, right? That plus the smaller engine puts me in the 4.10s camp.

  6. #2281
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Way East Tennessee
    Posts
    4,003
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm shopping right now for a 1-ton pickup. Curious why you decided to go with the Silverado (vs Ram, vs Ford).
    This is my third 2500 Silverado with the Duramax/Allision package. About two years ago, the truck I just traded in took a hard hit to the front. I got to drive both a Ram and a Ford, both 2500 diesels. All were less than 5,000 miles when I leased them. I pulled my 7,000 pound boat with all of them on several 600 mile round trip adventures to striper fish outside of Nashville. Up and down some pretty steep hills.

    The Ram has the horsepower with the Cummins. Transmission was OK, but hard shifting. Slightly less outlay for purchase, trade in value horrible. Lot of tin can feeling when you closed the doors, tailgate, etc. Horrible ride.

    Ford seemed lazy on power. Transmission was smooth. Interior seemed a little chincy. Ride was rough, but not nearly as bad as the Ram.

    Chevy has a stout engine. The Allision transmission is super smooth and shifts easily. Ride is better than the other two. Interior fit and finish was ahead of both.

    The truck before this one, a 2015, I paid $52,000 for an they gave me $47,000 trade in at 63,000 miles.

    This truck's trade in, a 2018, took a massive hit to the front ($27,500 in repairs) meaning it had a bad Carfax. Truck new was $54,000 and they gave me $47,000 trade in.

    Chevy has very few diesels available at the moment. Typically, when the NASCAR race comes to town, they have about 45 display trucks (1500's) used to parade around the drivers and two or three High Country diesels for the Chevy display. I have been able to pick one up about every 3 years at a good deal as they have about a $12,000 discount after the race. Typically about 200 miles on them.

    No diesels this year. Dealer said this was likely the only diesel they would be getting this year. Would have preferred a cleaner High Country, but this truck is OK. We were going to peel off the yellow stripe, but it kind of grows on you.

    More than I wanted to pay, but GM has a couple of discounts, and an additional discount for front-line health care workers. Wife is an RN. That was worth a few thousand discount.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

  7. #2282
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    A camper will be in back of the truck most of the time, right? That plus the smaller engine puts me in the 4.10s camp.
    Camper will be in the truck for warm weather months - approx May to October.

    Comparing current truck engine and gearing with the F350 and 10R140:

    Old GMC Sierra, 6.0 V8 (300 hp/ 360 tq), 4-speed 4L80E (0.75 OD), 4.10 axles, 245/75/16 tires.

    2021 Ford F350, 6.2 V8 (385 hp/ 430 tq), 10-speed 10R140 (0.63 tallest OD gear), tire size varies depending on options/aftermarket.

    4.30 axles for the Ford seems like a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  8. #2283
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,246
    Thanks TNKen
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  9. #2284
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,481
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Camper will be in the truck for warm weather months - approx May to October.

    Comparing current truck engine and gearing with the F350 and 10R140:

    Old GMC Sierra, 6.0 V8 (300 hp/ 360 tq), 4-speed 4L80E (0.75 OD), 4.10 axles, 245/75/16 tires.

    2021 Ford F350, 6.2 V8 (385 hp/ 430 tq), 10-speed 10R140 (0.63 tallest OD gear), tire size varies depending on options/aftermarket.

    4.30 axles for the Ford seems like a good choice.
    Right on and I'm with you on choosing the higher (numerical) ratio. I meant to say 4.30s originally.

  10. #2285
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    So ready to ditch the Tundra.
    You mind elaborating?

  11. #2286
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    lakeside
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    You mind elaborating?
    I have been driving full size trucks for 25 years. I have had one Dodge, 4 chevy's, and currently a 2018 Tundra. The day I picked up my new Tundra I drove it over to the shop and put a brand new ARE topper on it, the topper weighs approximately 225lbs. With the bed empty and the topper on there was visible sagging in the rear end. So I drove back to the dealership and questioned it, was told that that is normal. The payload for the bed is listed at 1700lbs. Below is a picture of my Tundra with 1000lbs of sand in the bed. Never had a truck bed before that can't carry anything in it. If you want a Tundra to do truck stuff then I would recommend buying anything else. With that said from an engine reliability standpoint the truck has been great. Google Tundra rear end sagging and you will see a ton of people with the same problem and all the suspension upgrade fixes they are using.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7880.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	673.5 KB 
ID:	366560

  12. #2287
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,019
    We went over this in the Tundra thread but your shit is broken or you are carrying way over capacity with that much sag. I have the same truck as you, with a topper, and no sag.

    Payload on the 18 crewmax 4x4 trd is 1560 pounds also, not 1700. You also admitted that you lifted it aftermarket, which almost always decreases payload also. You also admitted to using a 1500 level truck for way beyond 1500 level capability in that other thread also, like plowing.

    Dont get me wrong, it shouldn't be doing that, but your truck seems to be an outlier due mainly to modifications, not some inherent Toyota design flaw.
    Live Free or Die

  13. #2288
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    lakeside
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    We went over this in the Tundra thread but your shit is broken or you are carrying way over capacity with that much sag. I have the same truck as you, with a topper, and no sag.

    Payload on the 18 crewmax 4x4 trd is 1560 pounds also, not 1700. You also admitted that you lifted it aftermarket, which almost always decreases payload also. You also admitted to using a 1500 level truck for way beyond 1500 level capability in that other thread also, like plowing.

    Dont get me wrong, it shouldn't be doing that, but your truck seems to be an outlier due mainly to modifications, not some inherent Toyota design flaw.
    Nah man, I was just sharing my experience because he asked. No lift on it, leveling kit on the front, never plowed with it, 1000lbs in the back is still well under the payload even if it is 1560. I agree my truck is fucked, I took it to the dealer they went through it and sent me on my way, found no problems. So would I recommend people buy this truck, nope. Maybe I just got a bad one but either way I won't be purchasing another. You read on here long enough every truck sucks. Shit go back to my very first thread on Powdermag board "Heating Truck Bed" and I'm talking about blowing the tranny on my 1998 dodge ram (I bought it used with 50K on it). I have had a lot of trucks and never seen anything like this happen with any of them.

  14. #2289
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    2,153
    Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I have been driving full size trucks for 25 years. I have had one Dodge, 4 chevy's, and currently a 2018 Tundra. The day I picked up my new Tundra I drove it over to the shop and put a brand new ARE topper on it, the topper weighs approximately 225lbs. With the bed empty and the topper on there was visible sagging in the rear end. So I drove back to the dealership and questioned it, was told that that is normal. The payload for the bed is listed at 1700lbs. Below is a picture of my Tundra with 1000lbs of sand in the bed. Never had a truck bed before that can't carry anything in it. If you want a Tundra to do truck stuff then I would recommend buying anything else. With that said from an engine reliability standpoint the truck has been great. Google Tundra rear end sagging and you will see a ton of people with the same problem and all the suspension upgrade fixes they are using.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7880.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	673.5 KB 
ID:	366560
    Okay gotcha, was curious, and remember your issue now. Have a fresh one - my first truck. Im digging it but afraid the new one might get me to pony up though.

  15. #2290
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    8,958
    Here's a fairly experienced reviewer showing stock Tundra sag with 1000 lb tongue weight: https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...a-trd-pro.html

  16. #2291
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    6,885
    We upgraded our 16 tundra to a 20 last year. Went TRD to non-TRD, and the suspension was noticeably softer and saw a lot more sag. Hard to say how much was related to non-TRD vs what happened to others I guess. Wife tows boats all day for work so we put some airbags in it and its golden now.

    Third tundra weve owned an never had any issues.

  17. #2292
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    521
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Thanks. My understanding is that 7.3 only came out in 2020, maybe 2019, so there's not a long history with it.

    Ford doesn't have a stellar history with new motors. 5.4 and V10 plug issues, many problems with their 6.0 and 6.4 diesels... I don't want to be their beta tester, and the 6.2 is powerful enough for my use.

    Thinking about whether to get 3.73 vs 4.30 axle gearing though. I'm ordering the rear locker, so that option cost is the same for either gear. Leaning 4.30, as the 10-speed transmission has very low OD gearing, so freeway RPM shouldn't be too high.

    I've been wanting a TC for a couple years so I've been reading rv.net for almost a year. Those guys really, really know their shit. And they are up to speed on trucks just as well as rvs too. I'm looking at a 1T flatbed w a hallmark pop-up so I can tow my bass boat to the lake and stay overnight.

    You'll get to use all 10 speeds w the 4.30 so that's good. You're not buying a high mpg vehicle so why not optimize it for hauling and towing.

    I'm not a Ford guy so I don't pay close attention, but the 7.3 motor was used a long time ago and resurrected. Of course it has all the computers etc etc that the old ones never did. This is only the 2nd year for the 10 speed I think.

  18. #2293
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,332

    Trucks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    I'm not a Ford guy so I don't pay close attention, but the 7.3 motor was used a long time ago and resurrected. Of course it has all the computers etc etc that the old ones never did. This is only the 2nd year for the 10 speed I think.
    The only thing the new 7.3 shares with the old one is displacement. Old one was diesel, new is gas.

  19. #2294
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,185
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    The only thing the new 7.3 shares with the old one is displacement. Old one was gas, new is diesel.
    The 7.3L Power Stroke was the best diesel that Ford ever made. You on crack?

    https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...t-good-439374#

  20. #2295
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The 7.3L Power Stroke was the best diesel that Ford ever made. You on crack?

    https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...t-good-439374#
    Haha fixed my initial post. No crack, just a little dyslexia. Wish I never sold mine.

  21. #2296
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,591
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Here's a fairly experienced reviewer showing stock Tundra sag with 1000 lb tongue weight: https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...a-trd-pro.html
    Work buddy had a '18 Tundra. Not sure if it was TRD version or not. Hauled a couple sleds in the winter, and camping gear in the summers. He couldn't wait to unload it and bought a Chevy Trail Boss instead. I guess the sag was a big complaint.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

  22. #2297
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    18,246
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The 7.3L Power Stroke was the best diesel that Ford ever made. You on crack?

    https://www.ford-trucks.com/how-tos/...t-good-439374#
    Wasn't it an International Harvester motor anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  23. #2298
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,185
    I believe it was.

  24. #2299
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    8,481
    Every diesel in a Ford pickup was IH until the 6.7.

  25. #2300
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    9,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Every diesel in a Ford pickup was IH until the 6.7.
    I think Ford moved the 6.0 in house at some point. Not that the 6.0 is worth talking about.

    -current 6.0, former 7.3 owner

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •