Page 158 of 199 FirstFirst ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by The Internet View Post
    The engine was designed by VM Motori, an Italian diesel engine maker that Fiat Chrysler bought later.
    The 3.0 V6 diesel is Italian, it’s not supposed to last.

https://boostyourengine.com/dodge-ra...ance-upgrades/
    Last edited by This End Up; 05-10-2022 at 06:45 AM.

Have been nothing but happy with the ecodiesel in my heep after a bit more than 15k miles. Prolly just confirmation bias rearing its ugly head but I'm getting 25mpg in mixed driving and have no trouble hauling my trailers up over Kenosha pass and whatnot.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

F150 Lightning in C&D:

We pulled an 8300-pound boat and trailer at about 65 mph, and the on-board trip computer indicated we were getting less than one mile per kilowatt-hour. This puts the highway range with a trailer of decent size and mass somewhere around 100 miles. That means you wouldn't want to cover more than 80 or so miles between DC-fast-charger fill-ups because of how fast charging throttles as you near a full battery.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Considering selling my Taco and getting a Chevy Silverado 1500. Need a bigger truck for work, and some light towing. I'm looking at something around 5 years old, and ~75k miles. $35-40k. Anything I should keep an eye out for on these trucks?

Also looked at Tundra but I feel like I get more truck with the Chevy for less price. And slightly better mpg. Not even looking at Ford or Dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Considering selling my Taco and getting a Chevy Silverado 1500. Need a bigger truck for work, and some light towing. I'm looking at something around 5 years old, and ~75k miles. $35-40k. Anything I should keep an eye out for on these trucks?

Also looked at Tundra but I feel like I get more truck with the Chevy for less price. And slightly better mpg. Not even looking at Ford or Dodge.
    Spend time on google searching the Chevy and maintenance problems for the model year you are looking at. Various AFM issues on different years is one thing that comes to mind. I had a 2013 and recently traded it in for a Taco after the dealer replaced the oil pump 3x for oil pressure issues. Apparently that was common for that year.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Spend time on google searching the Chevy and maintenance problems for the model year you are looking at. Various AFM issues on different years is one thing that comes to mind. I had a 2013 and recently traded it in for a Taco after the dealer replaced the oil pump 3x for oil pressure issues. Apparently that was common for that year.
    Ugh, yeah, I know. I hate to give up the Taco but need a bigger truck and they are offering what I paid for it for trade in. Maybe Tundra is still in play. I did some research this morning and it seems like the Chevys are plagued with tranny issues and such. Basically, everything sucks. I was also lconsidering a work van and came to the same conclusion. Everything sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I believe there are aftermarket ways to deactivate the cylinder management on the GM trucks. Worth googling if you're shopping those.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Whatever the premium is in gas and purchase you will make back on the Tundra.
    Live Free or Die

I drove a 2014 Silverado 1500 for a few years, it was reliable and drove very nicely. Really liked it and wouldn't hesitate to drive one again, but they're a tier down from the Fords in terms of interior / features. They're slightly smaller / shorter than the Ford and RAM trucks too - which might be a positive in some scenarios.

Given how bonkers the used pricing is, it might make sense to try to buy a new truck - a current model year XLT or whatever the RAM/Chevy equivalents are is probably similar in price and nicer / more reliable than a 5 year old truck.

FWIW, I’ve had a 2015 Chevy 1500 since new, and only repair issue has been a short when a driver’s side wiring harness got a rub spot. Just turning 70000km, mostly highway and often towing a 5000lbs trailer and/or loaded to near max GVWR. No issues with the AFM in the 5.3L (knocks on wood). Just a single data point.

We’ve got a couple of newer 1500 and one 2500 (6.3L gasser) in the work fleet, and no issues on any of them yet. Between the Fords, Chevy and Dodge trucks in the fleet, the dodge trucks have been the most in the shop, but not by what I would call a large margin. Most are base-level trim too, so that helps.

^The 5.3 is a bomber motor for sure.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I also own a 5.3 afm motor. I put in some liquid moly every 10k to be safe but it’s been awesome and I’m averaging 18.5 mpg driving up and down LCC and 21 highway. Just saw a new tundra today, new body is hideous. Tundras generally are less capable than any American brand. Going from a taco to full size you’re going to be way more comfortable, actually be able to see out of the truck and have a truck that’s actually capable. IMO tacos are one of the worst vehicles on the market, massively over priced, horrible mpg, similar capability to a Subaru and about as comfortable to drive as a wrangler which is probably the only vehicle I rank below a taco.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Trucks.

Ha! In addition to the Silverado, my daily driver is a ‘03 taco xcab with the 3.4. Love that little truck (as I loved my ‘85 Marty McFly p/u before her), but yes, my 188cm 100kg frame wouldn’t fit without the sunroof, my right leg sciatica acts up after a couple hours driving her, and the 3.4L is reasonably bomber but a bit thirsty on the power to mpg ratio. But she’s a beaut other than that. Both trucks have the rear suspension upgraded (taco with an extra leaf, the Chevy with sumosprings).

Can you still buy a base model regular cab gasser work truck with 1 ton axles, low gears, and a stick?

Asking for a friend.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Can you still buy a base model regular cab gasser work truck with 1 ton axles, low gears, and a stick?

Asking for a friend.
    Yes, except for the stick - that takes a special factory order. All our fleet trucks are base, but base does mean something different with each mfr. Ford comes with the least, one of ours only has AC; no cruise and AM/FM with manual hubs and transfer case. Dodge and Toyota come with the most bells and whistles at base trim.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Yes, except for the stick - that takes a special factory order. All our fleet trucks are base, but base does mean something different with each mfr. Ford comes with the least, one of ours only has AC; no cruise and AM/FM with manual hubs and transfer case.
    OK, so there is still hope in this world. Tell me it has crank down windows and ditch the AC and I'm a happy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    OK, so there is still hope in this world. Tell me it has crank down windows and ditch the AC and I'm a happy camper.
    Yes, at least as of 2017, Ford retained their horrible placement of their manual window levers. But I also can appreciate a proper base work p/u.

Expecting a couple 2500 Chevys and a Ford f450 sometime this soon to replace some older fleet units, but they’ve been delayed. Will report on their base trim when (if?) they arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Yes, at least as of 2017, Ford retained their horrible placement of their manual window levers. But I also can appreciate a proper base work p/u.

Expecting a couple 2500 Chevys and a Ford f450 sometime this soon to replace some older fleet units, but they’ve been delayed. Will report on their base trim when (if?) they arrive.
    Please do. I'm very curious.

My work vans have manual windows. I think your affinity for them is just nostalgia. And they break far more often than the electric ones.

My truck is a manual. While I do like it, I will admit that it isn’t all that great after a while. Once again, nostalgia. I get in the wife’s car and it is way more easy to text, drink a beer, and eat a sandwich while driving. All at the same time!

My land cruiser has an auto window with a (likely) faulty solinoid on the door switch. Had similar on a very old 4Runner. Replacement on the cruiser is apparently a huge pita. Wishing for an manual window.

What year cruiser?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My land cruiser has an auto window with a (likely) faulty solinoid on the door switch. Had similar on a very old 4Runner. Replacement on the cruiser is apparently a huge pita. Wishing for an manual window.
    What model? My land cruiser it's an easy job

1999. 100-series. I would love to see a link/how-to. I got exhausted several years ago trying to find the best fix-it thread in ih8mud. Thx!

I'm confused. The door master switch module comes out in half a minute. But then you say the solenoid...do you mean your window motor isn't working? That is easy to replace also once you pull the door panel off. Pulling out the window isn't bad. Old Toyotas are super easy to fix but in general all cars with power windows are built about the same. It is a motor and a regulator both of which are still available parts.

Now realizing the door lock and such is a bit of a knuckle buster....

Bear with me here… this is an issue that I have chosen to ignore for several years and I’m working from memory. I’d love to know a simpl-ish solution.

Passenger door: switch on the door could make it roll down but never up. Have always been able to control the window from the switch on the driver door. Maybe my solinoid reference/diagnosis is totally wrong.