Page 147 of 199 FirstFirst ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I feel like if I was put in a position where I needed to buy a vehicle right now and could get by w/o a truck, I’d buy a cheap beater to drive for a year until things came back down. And they will.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd expect Frontier or Titan would be the best buys. Frontier engine is powerful (4.0 V6 from around 2005-2019), that generation of Frontier shared many parts with the Xterra, and is generally pretty reliable. More powerful than Toyota's V6, much less expensive than Tacoma and 4Runner. If you don't need it to be a pickup, consider the Pathfinder too - 6 and 8 cyl options, would tow that trailer fine.

Titan, especially the earlier body style, should be fairly cheap (relative to Tundra). Unpopular, plasticky, limited body styles. But if a shortbed extended cab would work, I'd give it a look.

Early Colorado and Canyon are meh.
    Thanks, I've definitely seen more semi-reasonable prices on the Frontiers/Titans. Unfortunately do need it to be a truck - even the mini-bed of the Tacoma - as I gather 4 cords or so of firewood a year. Still have bark in my Subaru from the one time I decided I could get firewood in my car, doh.

Also like the beater idea, but it'll be for my wife (as she doesn't like driving my manual outback) and not sure she'll be into a beater, as she's a little shaken from the crash. Really it would make the most sense to get rid of my Subaru, get her an automatic Crosstrek, and drive the beater truck myself, but already annoyed at having to have a car payment again, not going to take on two...
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Won’t solve your problem, necessarily, but firewood hauling can maybe be covered with a utility trailer.

I'd expect Frontier or Titan would be the best buys. Frontier engine is powerful (4.0 V6 from around 2005-2019), that generation of Frontier shared many parts with the Xterra, and is generally pretty reliable. More powerful than Toyota's V6, much less expensive than Tacoma and 4Runner. If you don't need it to be a pickup, consider the Pathfinder too - 6 and 8 cyl options, would tow that trailer fine.
    That Nissan 4.0 is great motor. I owned a '06 Xterra for several years and it was an absolute hoot to drive, especially with the 6-sp MT. It had other issues, though. Oil pressure sensor crapped out which was $150 to fix. The fuel level sensor partially crapped out and only sort-of worked (it would show E after you filled it until you had driven 50ish miles, then it would it work fine, but it threw a code after every fill up so the CE light was always on). That was a widespread well-known problem and would have cost almost a grand to fix so I just lived with it. AC shit the bed and was going to cost $1500 to fix, which ended up being a big reason I sold it. I'm not saying don't buy one period, but tread carefully for sure.

I had an 07 Frontier and really dug the drivetrain with the 4.0 and the 6 speed as well. I had mine for 70k miles or so and traded it on an FJ Cruiser after they offered me 20 grand for it, so it even held up there against a Taco also.
    Live Free or Die

Anyone tow with their Frontier? Local towing wasn't bad in the Taco, but living in Bayfield there are some big passes to get about anywhere else...

Probably only go over the passes 5-7 times a year, but tempted to go half ton just for that, would otherwise prefer to stay at the Tacoma/Frontier size.

5x8 enclosed trailer, something like 400 pounds of gear in it.
    voltaire

The 4.0 had tons of power. Mine would go 85 mph up a 8% grade in 5th gear no problem. I doubt you'd even notice that trailer.

Based on your needs I would look at the F150 with the turbo charged 2.7 V6. Tons of power, gas mileage as good as a taco, tows great. I'm not a ford guy but my buddy has this truck and we have put it through a lot of shit and I'm impressed with what it can do.

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    Based on your needs I would look at the F150 with the turbo charged 2.7 V6. Tons of power, gas mileage as good as a taco, tows great. I'm not a ford guy but my buddy has this truck and we have put it through a lot of shit and I'm impressed with what it can do.
    Thanks, only ones I could find around here were probably more than we're looking to pay, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The 4.0 had tons of power. Mine would go 85 mph up a 8% grade in 5th gear no problem. I doubt you'd even notice that trailer.
    Good to know a Frontier wouldn't suffer as much as the Tacoma up a steep grade. Now weighing Frontier vs. easier towing but all the negatives of a bigger ride with a half-ton.
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    Anyone tow with their Frontier? Local towing wasn't bad in the Taco, but living in Bayfield there are some big passes to get about anywhere else...

Probably only go over the passes 5-7 times a year, but tempted to go half ton just for that, would otherwise prefer to stay at the Tacoma/Frontier size.

5x8 enclosed trailer, something like 400 pounds of gear in it.
    We have a 5x8 white box cargo trailer, and occasionally used the Xterra to tow it home with a load of stove pellets in it - 2000# in the trailer, no brakes on trailer. Xterra handled it fine. 4.0 V6, 5-speed automatic transmission.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We have a 5x8 white box cargo trailer, and occasionally used the Xterra to tow it home with a load of stove pellets in it - 2000# in the trailer, no brakes on trailer. Xterra handled it fine. 4.0 V6, 5-speed automatic transmission.
    Thanks. Going to drive a '16 Frontier with 100K miles tomorrow, might also drive a '13 F150 with 110K and the 5.0L (mentioned some unknown number of pages ago as a good bet). About the same price, the wife will probably prefer the Frontier.
    voltaire

Incidentally, towing that load home is from about 4500' up to 6200'. Not an everyday thing by any means - more like once a year. But handled it fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I just paid the deposit and reserved one of those Silverado EVs. Was considering the Lightning to replace my F-150 in a couple of years but the mid-gate thing on the Silverado is awesome. With a topper that would give it so much space and utility - would also make winter camping really easy (assuming they build toppers for these).

Didn't think I'd consider going back to a Chevy but between the range, clever features, and (finally) updated interior it seems like it'll be a really good daily driver.

My wife drove a 2 door Z71 in college with a 350, had no idea you could get them with a big diesel:
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9Qx...rbo-diesel-4x4
    "TURBO POWER"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rj007zjl.5xeLn_XnB-(edit).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	320.1 KB 
ID:	400710

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    Thanks. Going to drive a '16 Frontier with 100K miles tomorrow, might also drive a '13 F150 with 110K and the 5.0L (mentioned some unknown number of pages ago as a good bet). About the same price, the wife will probably prefer the Frontier.
    The 5.0L is a good motor. "Decent" mileage and decent power. Reliable, from all accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    The 5.0L is a good motor. "Decent" mileage and decent power. Reliable, from all accounts.
    It drove great, and it's a supercab, which I like a lot more than the huge crew cabs, but as I guessed, the wife prefers the smaller trucks. Now deciding between the '16 Frontier and a '12 Tacoma TRD Sport with 120K, 4.0L, and the long bed (6', but hey, I could sleep in that) for 4 grand more. Taco resale, knowing them mechanically, (shitty mechanic, but I've been doing most if myself) and the actually usable bed length is real tempting, though I bet the Frontier would tow better.

Wife is ambivalent between the two, but didn't like the sightline with the Taco's fake scoop, thinks she'd get used to it though.
    voltaire

Well, Ford listened I guess. The Ford Maverick, $20K fwd, adjust your own mirrors, and ~40mpg. I think it is cool they came out with it. Talk about a perfect high schooler car. Just need it in 4wd/AWD.

https://trib.al/qnR2vwG?fbclid=IwAR1...NzTpxQzh0-b_ao

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I just paid the deposit and reserved one of those Silverado EVs. Was considering the Lightning to replace my F-150 in a couple of years but the mid-gate thing on the Silverado is awesome. With a topper that would give it so much space and utility - would also make winter camping really easy (assuming they build toppers for these).

Didn't think I'd consider going back to a Chevy but between the range, clever features, and (finally) updated interior it seems like it'll be a really good daily driver.
    The factory non-turbocharged diesel from GM were not so good, they checked every diesel stereotype, noisy, rattling, slow, smokey. I wonder how well the aftermarket air charging set up works?
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Well, Ford listened I guess. The Ford Maverick, $20K fwd, adjust your own mirrors, and ~40mpg. I think it is cool they came out with it. Talk about a perfect high schooler car. Just need it in 4wd/AWD.
    Does seem like a good setup for many folks.
    Now if they would make it as a super cab, 6’ bed, 4wd, electric that can pull 10,000 - I’d buy it. Hoping someone makes an actual electric truck that is designed for work - as opposed to the “lifestyle” options that seem more prevalent

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Does seem like a good setup for many folks.
    Now if they would make it as a super cab, 6’ bed, 4wd, electric that can pull 10,000 - I’d buy it. Hoping someone makes an actual electric truck that is designed for work - as opposed to the “lifestyle” options that seem more prevalent
    Yeah, even a 6' bed would make this thing a great work truck for most of the country that doesn't require 4wd, and really the front wheel drive with some decent snow tires wouldn't be that bad. 4wd would probably tack on $5-10k right?
    The thing sounds almost exactly like my old 2wd ranger that I drove around for many years. That thing didn't have power windows.

No Cruise Control
    No Power mirrors
    No bed liner, just metal
    No Blindspot monitoring
    No Push button start
    None of that is really a deal breaker.

But it does have power windows, apple CarPlay, it is a hybrid w/ 40 mpg,

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    +1..my '18 150 with this engine works great.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

https://trib.al/qnR2vwG?fbclid=IwAR1...NzTpxQzh0-b_ao

From the article:
    Adding on all-wheel drive and the more powerful engine, for example, costs about $3,300.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

No Cruise Control
    No Power mirrors
    No bed liner, just metal
    No Blindspot monitoring
    No Push button start
    None of that is really a deal breaker.
    No cruise control would be a deal-breaker for me. No CC would suck on long drives. But, going to the XLT model and adding on AWD and the better motor still only brings it up to $27k. These days for a brand new AWD vehicle that's pretty good. AWD also gets you a 8-speed AT instead of CVT which sounds like a win to me. The downside to AWD is there's no hybrid option, so the AWD flavor is probably going to get low-20s mpg city and high-20's highway.

You can get an aftermarket cruise control kit for it ~$300 and ~90 minutes to install.

I had a car with aftermarket CC. It worked great up to about 65, but any setting above that it just sped up indefinitely. I once let it run up to 100mph just to see how far it’d go before I chickened out. Maybe it would have stopped at 110.
    focus.