Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

^^^ what year?

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ what year?
    https://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/14/...-truck-frames/

95-2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

the latest version of Tacoma so 2005-2010 I think you miss read that link
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What I was curious about was how new is your buddy's truck.

I'm familiar with the frame saga. I'm a bit of a Toyota fanatic.

In 95 Toyota started production of a new truck model (the Tacoma) at the NUMMI plant in California (now the Tesla factory). Previous trucks sold in North America were built in Japan, so Toyota had to choose bewteen shipping frames across the ocean, manufacturing them in the US, or outsourcing them. They went with option three, and had Dana supply the frames for all pre-2011 model year Tacomas, and all first gen Tundras.

In 09 Dana sold their frame business to Metalsa who build body and frame components in Mexico, and in 2010 Toyota moved truck production to their San Antonio plant.

There's lots of speculation on the Toyota forums as to why the Dana frames rust (bad steel, poor design, insufficient coating), but they all do rust.

It is amazing to me how people will rag on FCA for building shit vehicles, but then Toyota has to keep doing frame recalls on every truck they make, despite redesigning it twice, and is upheld as the epitome of build quality and reliability. They also had major head gasket issues with the 3.4's in the 4runners and pickups pre Tacoma along with the rust. Kinda like Subaru and head gaskets, yet they get a pass for some reason.

Jalopnik, and David Tracy in general, like to make a big deal out of some real mundane shit. This is a pretty simple thing with the gas mix being off during the robotic weld, that while admittedly shouldn't happen, was already a recall when Jalopnik ran their story, limited to a small run of Wranglers. He copies and pastes internet forum hubris, for a service bulletin already issued by FCA, like he just discovered fire. This is all really funny as Tracy was one of the engineers tasked with developing the new Wrangler prior to his gig at Jalopnik, so he is trash talking himself.
    Live Free or Die

^^^ haters gonna hate, fanbois gonna fan.

It was actually the 3VZE aka 3.0 that had the head gasket problem by design. And Toyota replaced tons of them for free.

The 5VZ-FE aka 3.4 had a batch of bad gaskets for about a year or so. It's "known problem" is low oil pressure, but even so, it's a very reliable motor.

edit: forgot to mention that FCA frames are manufactured by Metalsa too.

Yeah been a while since I've seen one since they all rusted away...zing!

I agree, fanbois gonna fanboi, but it does amaze me the amount of shit Toyota gets away with because Top Gear made a video about how a truck, which they haven't made since 1994 and which you couldn't get in the US, was indestructible.
    Live Free or Die

Just traded in my '98 Tacoma last year and miss it deeply. I probably shoulda gotten the frame checked for rust before trading it in. Kinda wish I had kept it as a beater, but it was up for another timing belt and the body was rusting pretty good. 280k miles on it and 200 were put on by me.

yeah I had a 1990 4-runer with the 3.0 and toyota replaced the head gasskette after 7 yrs which is standing behind the product

I was suggesting my buddy look into trading up with the dealer on that vehical with the bad frame ?

@AR

Toyota's reputation for trucks was built on the Land Cruisers and Hilux (aka 4x4 or just "pickup" in the US). Just like Jeep's was built on the pre-AMC lineage. Both were well deserved.

Fast forward to the bad years, and both companies are having quality issues, but the unholy AMC/Renault alliance is producing some truly shitty vehicles. When Chrysler bought in they started to get better again, but it took some time.

Fast forward to today, and they're both pretty good.

I opted for an F150 over Toyota Tundra or Tacoma, mainly based on price. I wasn't sure about the F150 at first, but it's starting to grow on me. Drives great anyway. I got the V8 and it hasn't let me down yet. Lots of power. Haven't reached a max weight yet on the bed, but might get a camper someday and that'll test it. I do wish that it came with a tailgate and nose camera though. Parking this thing is a bitch.

this time of year I drive them all on the river shuttles, always on pot hole filled dirt roads, this morning it was 3 different trucks in 2 hrs on wet shitty roads

my favorite has probably been a full load 2015 F-150 FX4 with BFG T/A's with eco-boost in terms of power/handling/ fuel economy and the amount of buttons in the cockpit that i have driven twice.

Yesturday instead of going up the road to do a turn around I watched the river guide back this truck avec trailer over the skeena on a one lane bridge 50 ft in the air with a bit of speed using the camera thing to keep it between the yellow lines on the screen in one try ... fucking impressive

Too many balls in the air so I double book myself and then the Italians kill the battery in their rental truck ... this morning was a fucking nightmare eh

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was suggesting my buddy look into trading up with the dealer on that vehical with the bad frame ?
    The dealerships make a big charge-back on the frame jobs, so as long as they have a free bay to tie up for few weeks, they want the work. Plus they're going to flag everything else that needs to be done (brakes, timing belt, clutch, etc), so "free" probably won't be free.

Considering that they're going to have to move it, I'm not sure how inclined they are to take it on trade, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I'm guessing you're buddy could sell it privately for a premium with a new frame.

yeah its a 40 hr job, and you are right they are already on the up sell and saying maybe bro wants to replace the engine at 325,000 kms and so I told bro it doesn't hurt to ask

while we're on the subject... Call me a fanboi, but I've owned a handful of vehicles from different manufacturers, and my Toyota trucks have been the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. I had a '91 pickup with over 300k miles that got me through high school and college with much neglected maintenance before I got hit by someone running a red light and it was totaled. Now I have a 2004 Tacoma that I'll never get rid of. This thing starts every time, doesn't burn a drop of oil, frame is solid and well cared for. I've only done brakes, belts, and fluid/filter changes in the 100k miles I've put on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28061412_10100478297136137_175121214077694022_o.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	576.1 KB 
ID:	250105
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Not an open bed truck, but unusual (for California) “truck” and body on frame. Seen in my area recently
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8911.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	250122

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    Just sold mine. 2004, extended cab, 5 speed, 170K miles. The frame warranty expires May 2019. Got $12,000 for it.
    Holy irrational exuberance. $12k for a 14-y.o. truck with 170k is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy irrational exuberance. $12k for a 14-y.o. truck with 170k is nuts.
    I don't know why my post got deleted. I was trying to edit it.

Why not just buy a Ford Expedition?

last month i was holding up my side of the bar talking to the brew master about his taco and i mentioned the frame thing, so he starts playing with his phone, finds out his broken rear springs are covered

which made him happy, but I didnt get a free beer out of it

they checked his frame, it was ok

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    last month i was holding up my side of the bar talking to the brew master about his taco and i mentioned the frame thing, so he starts playing with his phone, his frame was ok but he finds out his broken rear springs are covered

which made him happy, but I didnt get a free beer out of it
    Always wish I would have had mine checked out before trading it in.

That looks like a four door, Ford Mustang 2 fastback. Ugly as sin

Anyone in the market for a low mileage, minty Unimog?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d...815326916.html

Name:  00E0E_1F6XfE14ZTg_600x450.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  37.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone in the market for a low mileage, minty Unimog?

https://vermont.craigslist.org/cto/d...815326916.html

Name:  00E0E_1F6XfE14ZTg_600x450.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  37.3 KB
    5.7L and 120bhp.

That has to be some kind of a record.

#stilldowant

The floggings will continue until morale improves.