Page 75 of 199 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I was loading up some 10 foot lumber at Depot the other day. Dude was watching I wasn’t sure why till I saw him drive offf with 8 foot sticks diagonal past the cab out of his 5 foot bed. Crew cabs have ruined the truck market.
    In my local used truck listings there’s ~ 300 crew cabs, 25 extra cabs, and 3 regular cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    I was loading up some 10 foot lumber at Depot the other day. Dude was watching I wasn’t sure why till I saw him drive offf with 8 foot sticks diagonal past the cab out of his 5 foot bed. Crew cabs have ruined the truck market.
    In my local used truck listings there’s ~ 300 crew cabs, 25 extra cabs, and 3 regular cabs.
    Crew cab long box. Problem solved. Yeah, it's a bit long at times, but that's a problem I'm used to dealing with.

Just way too long turning radius and breakover for even moderate 4wd roads. And forget about parking garages at your new girlfriend’s place. Super markets are doable but not fun.

Edit although if I threw an aftermarket backup cam on mine (7’bed with xtra cab) I’m sure I’d like it better for where I live.

Definitely can't go everywhere, but it's bothered me less than I was worried it would. FS roads haven't been a problem so far, even with the camper on there, but I'm not out rock crawlin. If I could get the wife to want to drive a taco, we'd be set.

Oh, and the turning radius has been the least annoying thing, fwiw

Yeah I’ve had a quiver of vehicles forever. Seems stupid at times but makes sense lots of other times.
    Not crawling but certainly 4low high clearance rocks and super tight switchbacks. Occasional dead end turn arounds, etc. I’m sure lots of people do that in a crewcablongbed but meh. I’ve had a Jeep forever so just seems weird. Like the extra space of a truck though.
    Thinking I’ll end up with something like a highlander to pack on the city miles and a regular cab 7/8 foot bed with topper for camping and various truck stuff.
    Maybe a pop up down the road a bit.

Also to answer one of my own question from way back before I started researching. I was asking why there’s all those extra parts and pieces around the rear axle on a Tahoe vs 1500/expedition vs 150. Hadn’t occurred to me about independent rear suspension. Totally kills the clearance. Expedition quite a bit worse than Tahoe. Clearance also killed one of my other thoughts of a full size van, even though they might have solid rear axle. Just too low for off-road.
    Along those lines, not seeing the logic in taking a Sienna and lifting it. The you’d just have a Sequioa without the tough chassis/suspension.

Don't get me wrong. I do my fair share of popping into reverse to clear corners in parking lots. Can't say I've ever had to on FS roads, but I've only been on 3 or 4 in this rig. Either way, the reversing/adjusting didn't end up bothering me as much as I thought it might.

If I didn't have a kid to legally transport, a regular cab with a camper would be sweet (as long as the storage situation in the camper was good... We can fit a metric fuck ton of extra gear in the cab, and prefer the heavy stuff in there for COG during sketchy mountain driving).

Yep, wife's speed is more like Highlander for all our other travel. Took a hard look at that, but an even harder look at telluride/palisade and ended up shocked at the bang for buck. Telluride made in USA to boot.

Yeah I’ve had a quiver of vehicles forever. Seems stupid at times but makes sense lots of other times.
    Not crawling but certainly 4low high clearance rocks and super tight switchbacks. Occasional dead end turn arounds, etc. I’m sure lots of people do that in a crewcablongbed but meh. I’ve had a Jeep forever so just seems weird. Like the extra space of a truck though.
    Thinking I’ll end up with something like a highlander to pack on the city miles and a regular cab 7/8 foot bed with topper for camping and various truck stuff.
    Maybe a pop up down the road a bit.

Also to answer one of my own question from way back before I started researching. I was asking why there’s all those extra parts and pieces around the rear axle on a Tahoe vs 1500/expedition vs 150. Hadn’t occurred to me about independent rear suspension. Totally kills the clearance. Expedition quite a bit worse than Tahoe. Clearance also killed one of my other thoughts of a full size van, even though they might have solid rear axle. Just too low for off-road.
    Along those lines, not seeing the logic in taking a Sienna and lifting it. The you’d just have a Sequioa without the tough chassis/suspension.
    I saw a lifted sienna the other day in a building supply parking lot. Stopped and talked to the owner. He’s put a ton of work into it and it looked pretty cool and clean. Agreed, though, not a practical way to get there.
    focus.

Re: telluride/palisade has never heard of those, never touched a Hyundai I don’t think. But just from initial scan I’ll voice another annoyance, third row seat. Fuck what a waste of space. More the arm rests and vents for heated air in the back really. Seats could be taken out with a wrench, the arm rest stuff will be harder. Anyway back to trucks. Market needs more regular cabs in a high trim level. Maybe I should look at a mall crawler owner’s raptor. Most of the trucks I see used are work trucks beat, or mega mega cab.

Quote Originally Posted by mattig View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I do my fair share of popping into reverse to clear corners in parking lots. Can't say I've ever had to on FS roads, but I've only been on 3 or 4 in this rig. Either way, the reversing/adjusting didn't end up bothering me as much as I thought it might.

If I didn't have a kid to legally transport, a regular cab with a camper would be sweet (as long as the storage situation in the camper was good... We can fit a metric fuck ton of extra gear in the cab, and prefer the heavy stuff in there for COG during sketchy mountain driving).

Yep, wife's speed is more like Highlander for all our other travel. Took a hard look at that, but an even harder look at telluride/palisade and ended up shocked at the bang for buck. Telluride made in USA to boot.
    A friend of mine got a Telluride, I agree lots of bang for the buck, throw a Benz/Audi/BMW badge on it and they could get 15/20k more for it.
    Really nice family rig, if I was in the market it would get a hard look.

Gotta say KIA/Hyundai has really stepped up their game as of late.

Sorry, back to actual trucks please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah people are treating the Telluride as essentially a Range Rover but with decent reliability . And dealers are asking 5k over sticker as result....and sometimes getting it, supposedly.

Last I checked a longbed crewcab had nearly 60 ft turning radius. Pretty much out of the question for the dirt roads I end up on & have to execute an about face when I hit the first deep snowdrift or downed tree. But awesome for hiway road trips.

I have driven our full size extended cab longbed truck with camper on a bunch of USFS roads, including ones where I thought halfway that this was a bad idea. Stock suspension and tires. Drags the bike rack sometimes, but it's mounted on a step extension so is quite far out the back.

I honestly thought it would suck off road. It doesn't. It helps to have a casual attitude about scraping branches though. And a spotter for backing up too - no backup camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I have the feeling that the EV truck market isn't into long bed (8') trucks. But 5' is probably for the suburban/urban cowboy who wants to take it up to the hill or campground for a weekend, not as a work truck. Still, can't they even add 12 extra inches?

I just wonder about the viability of some of these EV startups. Go and spend $70k-$80k on an EV truck and then in 2 years they are out of biz, and you can't get parts or service....
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Also concerned about viability in the EV truck market. Hoping that the EV market takes off with fleet vehicles....

The guy with 4xoverland YouTube channel (lives in Perth) is building an interesting new 70-series land cruiser double cab with the idea of selling the extended wheelbase version through Toyota dealers in Western Australia. Interesting concept in relation to long beds for recreation or work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ADF8E857-C697-4287-9F87-F47E7CBF2DEA.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	315638

That's on the parking attendants.

At Alta, the attendants use a CCLB Chevy as a gauge to space the lines of cars.

A 6’ bed is sure more useful than a 4 or 5, but after about a year with a single cab long box idk how I could adjust to anything else.

I was mildly annoyed at having my sheets of plywood stick out 2ft out my bed today. Stupid 6ft bed. I have to drive 80ish miles to the nearest lumberyard. I dont miss driving my old work truck that was a mid 90s crew cab long box towing a 30ft office. Actually I dont mind being chained up trying to back that thing up a "s" turn driveway with a 8% grade.....good times. But yeah fuck 5.5ft beds.

Y’all wouldn’t have plywood problems with a minivan.... #vanlife

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all wouldn’t have plywood problems with a minivan.... #vanlife
    Truth. There's a retired contractor in town I've been very fortunate to engage in a few house projects. He drives a 3/4ton van that can fit 8'plywood, 12ft lumber or 14ft moulding/pipe/etc fully enclosed, with all his tools.

But he can't fit my 3.2m sled, though my '03 taco x-cab with beefed rear springpack and a 1.9m bed manages the 'doo beautifully.

Also to answer one of my own question from way back before I started researching. I was asking why there’s all those extra parts and pieces around the rear axle on a Tahoe vs 1500/expedition vs 150. Hadn’t occurred to me about independent rear suspension. Totally kills the clearance. Expedition quite a bit worse than Tahoe.
    Yeah, no shit! Always knew about it but wasn't an issue til last weekend when I got my Expedition stuck resting up on plow debris on those low hanging rear control arms. Hour and half of digging followed by a quick pull from a real HD truck.
    FWIW Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon not IRS until next (2021) model year which is why expedition worse than current GM models.
    Superior ride quality worth it in a truckish non-truck suv though imho.

The truck length struggle is real. Several months ago I pulled the trigger on an F-150 Platinum with a Super Crew cab (I have three kids) and 5.5 foot bed. I love it but god damn sometimes parking lots are a real bitch. I can only imagine going with a 6.5 foot bed and how much harder that would be. I don't mind the shorter bed, I have an extender rack and it does the trick when I need.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 02-14-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Recently I pulled into a spot with my Durango and while I was in the store two quad cab longbeds beds pulled in on either side of me and one directly behind with a 6 foot bed. I had to wait for 2 of them to come out before I could leave because no matter how many moves I made I couldn't get out. I think we have some of the worst designed lots around here that I've ever seen and every time they repaint them the spaces get smaller and the rows get narrower so they can add more spaces. With the overabundance of huge pickups and Transits/Sprinters it really sux. Even when I'm driving my small car it's sketchy because I can't see past them or SUV's and I've had way too many close calls. Time to segregate parking lots with different size vehicle areas.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The truck length struggle is real. Several months ago I pulled the trigger on an F-150 Platinum with a Super Crew cab (I have three kids) and 5 foot bed. I love it but god damn sometimes parking lots are a real bitch. I can only imagine going with a 6 foot bed and how much harder that would be. I don't mind the shorter bed, I have an extender rack and it does the trick when I need.
    You get used to it. I have an f150 supercrew with the 6.5 bed. I feel like I have more situations where width matters than length. With that being said, I don't do much true city driving/parking at all.

2017 F350 Crew Cab 6.7L with 8' bed here...might be an aircraft carrier but that wheelbase and weight makes for smooth, easy driving on long road trips and a great snow/ice vehicle. That said, it's easier living in a rural area. I've taken it to both SF and PDX and it was an absolute nightmare.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The truck length struggle is real. Several months ago I pulled the trigger on an F-150 Platinum with a Super Crew cab (I have three kids) and 5 foot bed. I love it but god damn sometimes parking lots are a real bitch. I can only imagine going with a 6 foot bed and how much harder that would be. I don't mind the shorter bed, I have an extender rack and it does the trick when I need.
    I drive our Taco as little as possible around town and can't understand how Ms Boissal uses it as a daily driver. It's a double cab long bed, always has a bike rack on, and she has to maneuver it daily in a tight parking garage at her job. I've tried to convince her to get a used Leaf for 10k and leave the truck at home but she's not having it.
    When I'm driving it I park at the very end of any parking lot and walk, it's never worth trying to squeeze between 2 other cars. So far we've had people run into the back of the truck a couple times when pulling out of their spots. I'm terrified when I have the bikes on the rack and I have to park somewhere.
    It's been great on FS roads though. I've dragged the bike rack a few times, did some 1000-point U-turns, and have scratched the living shit out of the sides navigating junipers but it's a minor inconvenience overall.