Page 169 of 199 FirstFirst ... 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,225 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Yeah, because Australia is where I get all of the information that I use to form my opinions! Haha. Nah, they make some ok points.

It's all part of the Technological Adoption Lifecyle. Right now we are in the innovators and early adopters sections. These folks need to go out and buy their Teslas and Rivians for $100k+ so that I can get a 4wd electric self driving van that I can sleep and load a dirt bike into and it has a bar. I'm planning on this becoming available in about 10 years. Just in time for me to retire and hit the road.

it doesn’t have to be trickle down; i’m still waiting for that 30k mass car from air elon

Ain't that the truth

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    To be clear, the Toyotas are always using the electric motor, and the ICE supplements over whatever speed / power demand / charge.

But yeah, given your parameters the Tundra isn't what you're looking for. And I agree that it's fugly IRL (my neighbor has one). There are a lot of Rivians in my hood too, and they're not as cartoonish in person.
    Interesting. If it's using supplemental electric all the time I would assume the mpg would be significantly improved over their full ice version. I need to inquire with my kid.

The EPA rated difference is like 2 MPG which is both nothing and something when the truck starts with such shit MPG. The hybrid system is more for the power and grunt than the MPG. On some trims, the standard engine has better rated highway MPG by 1.

I know in the Rav4 the hybrid has 16 more HP than the non-hybrid, which is nice. But that also comes with a much better MPG. If they can get to that in the Tundra and Tacoma, I think people would be happy. 30 mpg and a decent power increase would be perfect.

I was going to put an order in for the hybrid Tundra and was even going look past how fucking ugly it is until I saw the mpg. They missed the mark for me at least. I’m sure those who measure dick size in horse power will buy it.

Yeah, I was really interested too, and TBH don't really care what it looks like, but my uses(s) just don't require that much torque, so it would just be money out the tailpipe. Plus, it's just too big for what I need.

MPG has been my biggest drawback to buying another full sized truck. Of course the Ford ecoboost gets great mileage but fuck Ford. So I sit here waiting...

Toyota has certainly made some head-scratching decisions as of late. I was reading a lean blog about Toyota factories (recommended for trouble sleeping) and the author referenced a cultural shift under Akio. Good or bad probably depends on the perspective but a shift away from some legacy ideals regardless.

The hybrid tundra has a 2 speed transfer case, right? How does that work with the their hybrid motor? Is their motor turbo? Is it’s normal driving mode awd or 2wd (rear axle). The hybrid rav4 has the electric/ice hybrid motor that powers the front wheels and an electric motor that powers the rear wheel drive

It's an in-line hybrid system. Different than Toyota's other systems. Different goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    If it's using supplemental electric all the time I would assume the mpg would be significantly improved over their full ice version.
    The Tundra hybrid is really to create more power while retaining (or slightly improving) mpg.

But I was wrong about the engineering. I'm very familiar with other Toyota hybrids, which have a two AC motor/generator system that connects through a planetary, so that MG2 is always spinning when the car is moving. The Tundra essentially has a clutch pack between the engine and transmission, so the single electric motor can be disengaged.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The hybrid tundra has a 2 speed transfer case, right? How does that work with the their hybrid motor? Is their motor turbo? Is it’s normal driving mode awd or 2wd (rear axle). The hybrid rav4 has the electric/ice hybrid motor that powers the front wheels and an electric motor that powers the rear wheel drive
    All Tundra submodels have the same (Otto cycle) twin turbo 3.5L V6 bolted to the same 10spd auto transmission and 4wd transfer case. The hybrid just adds a single electric motor at the torque converter.

So it’s a method to improve torque of the new smaller turbo. Thanks. A hybrid with drastically improved mileage/gas consumption or an electric version would be a very different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    It's an in-line hybrid system. Different than Toyota's other systems. Different goals.

Their interiors have really gone to shit

Looks like the hybrid Tundra gains 2 mpg city, no change on hwy, an extra 48 hp and 104 lb-ft for another $3,200ish. If I "needed" those extra hp and torque numbers, I'd probably be looking at domestic 3/4 and 1 tons. Would have rather seen same power as non hybrid and gain 10 mpg or so. Maybe someday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Looks like the hybrid Tundra gains 2 mpg city, no change on hwy, an extra 48 hp and 104 lb-ft for another $3,200ish. If I "needed" those extra hp and torque numbers, I'd probably be looking at domestic 3/4 and 1 tons. Would have rather seen same power as non hybrid and gain 10 mpg or so. Maybe someday.
    It makes me wonder if that'll be the same goal with the new hybrid Tacoma. I'm the same as you, I'd rather see the Tacoma get 32mpg than gain power.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Their interiors have really gone to shit
    You hardly get one! I think the angle hides the steering column but it's like why even include the wheel.

Seems similar to the approach Chevrolet took with their hybrid pickup years ago

^ And similar MPG from what I recall.

"What's the least expensive way to hybridize the Tundra?"

Toyota execs, probably

I’m still pretty confused why we don’t see more plug-in hybrids especially in trucks that have payload capacity for a little more battery and would likely see a lot of in-town work use. Getting say 50 miles off an electric charge and then transitioning to the hybrid would be huge win for emissions plus allow you to still do a 500 mile weekend road trip towing with the hybrid mode.

If I could have my same truck with 50 mile fully electric range I’d be beyond stoked.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Why spend all that money developing a PHEV when you can just skip straight to tooling up for a fully electric fleet to meet the new regulations and demand?