Page 82 of 199 FirstFirst ... 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Meanwhile I think the pic of the actual Bronco 4 door looks pretty decent: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9hg4Qlh...ource=ig_embed

Looks great but has too many doors.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Municipalities who feel responsible for the tax payer's money. If I had known I could've gotten the same mileage with an F150 I would've bought 3 of those. And saved money not buying short handled shovels.
    The "who buys mid-size trucks" doesn't apply to gov't purchases. Bet you make it back on the tail end.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Looks great but has too many doors.
    So buy the 2 door version, which will have a shorter WB but be otherwise identical.

Edit to add pic of 2 door:

Name:  F0B0E00A-56B6-4DA2-B03E-D9AACFA60383.png
Views: 1767
Size:  804.1 KB
    Last edited by frorider; 03-10-2020 at 09:19 PM.

Shit happens really fast in winter with any short WB vehical and that would include most compact 4 door SUV's let alone a 2door
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post

Name:  F0B0E00A-56B6-4DA2-B03E-D9AACFA60383.png
Views: 1767
Size:  804.1 KB
    The rich step-brother

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land-rover-defender-.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	319833

Read through a number of pages of this thread in the hopes of not going over a topic that's been discussed 100 times and I didn't see anything, so here we go.

I'm debating between a 150 and 250 (or 1500/2500) pickup. My original thought was the 150 but I want to buy a pickup I can have for 10 years so I'm thinking into the future. I don't plan on towing anything heavy, the main reason for a bigger pickup would be an increased payload (pickup bed camper and getting firewood). Both of these reasons are "maybes" so I'm wondering how much more expensive is a 250/2500 to buy and operate? Seems like most costs would be pretty similar except gas mileage, initial cost (not sure how significant this is), and maybe parts being a little more spendy? Are these costs pretty significant or not really? I'd be looking to spend about $20k

Air bag a 1500 - best of both worlds. They can still tow a shit ton so you'd be fine savings some bucks.

IMHO comparing gas 1/2-ton to gas 3/4 or 1-ton, your biggest expense difference in ownership is going to be gas costs. The heavier truck will be thirstier. Diesel adds more costs in maintenance.

If you are going to put a camper in the truck, research this thoroughly and decide on your likely camper before buying the truck. While you can put some lighter campers in 1/2-ton trucks, you will have a lot more options in a heavier truck.

And "just put some airbags in it" does not turn a 1/2-ton into a heavier payload truck. The tires, brakes, frame, transmission, axles, etc, etc, are all stronger in the heavier truck.

Occasional firework hauling and towing a moderate camper trailer = 1/2-ton will ride and drive nicer the rest of the time, when the truck isn't burdened.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Diesel.

Oil changes less frequently, but about $80 at the dealer.
    Fuel mileage is comparable or maybe a little better. I get about 14 around town and mid to upper 20's on the highway. If I keep it under 75 and the turbo out of the picture, much better mileage. The best I have ever gotten, and it was about a 40 mile trip mostly downhill, was 36.5.
    DEF fluid is about $12-14 for 2 gallons.
    Fuel filters ever 20k miles.

If you get a 2500 with a 6.0 or 6.2 liter, mileage on the diesel is much better.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Diesel.

Oil changes less frequently, but about $80 at the dealer.
    Fuel mileage is comparable or maybe a little better. I get about 14 around town and mid to upper 20's on the highway. If I keep it under 75 and the turbo out of the picture, much better mileage. The best I have ever gotten, and it was about a 40 mile trip mostly downhill, was 36.5.
    Fuel filters ever 20k miles.

If you get a 2500 with a 6.0 or 6.2 liter, mileage on the diesel is much better.
    What's your oil change interval on the diesel? My '15 PSD was about every 8k, cost of oil and filter was $110 to do it in the driveway.
    Most modern v8's running synthetic oil have a 10k interval and full-service change is $69.

Mileage, particularly when hauling weight will go to the diesel, but only when your trip exceeds 50 miles. Otherwise, the truck will never get warm and additionally, it fucks up the exhaust system decreasing mileage and def consumption. In my experience, the big diesel never warmed up driving around town or down the canyon after a day of skiing, presumably not an issue in TN.

The cost of fuel is cheaper for gas. The initial purchase is almost always cheaper. Maintenance and repair is cheaper.

I did it for 4 years, the truck was great, but I find peace of mind with the gas v8.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    IMHO comparing gas 1/2-ton to gas 3/4 or 1-ton, your biggest expense difference in ownership is going to be gas costs. The heavier truck will be thirstier. Diesel adds more costs in maintenance.

If you are going to put a camper in the truck, research this thoroughly and decide on your likely camper before buying the truck. While you can put some lighter campers in 1/2-ton trucks, you will have a lot more options in a heavier truck.

And "just put some airbags in it" does not turn a 1/2-ton into a heavier payload truck. The tires, brakes, frame, transmission, axles, etc, etc, are all stronger in the heavier truck.

Occasional firework hauling and towing a moderate camper trailer = 1/2-ton will ride and drive nicer the rest of the time, when the truck isn't burdened.
    A lot of this. From the vehicle logs in the work fleet, if you can keep within the payload and towing capacity of a halfton, then do it. The 3/4 & 1ton trucks ride rough empty, and this affects not only wear on the passengers but the truck itself. Local loggers with 3/4 & 1tons with 700lbs+ in fuel and tools full-time have fewer issues than us with the beds running empty most of the time.

Usually about 14,000 on an oil change.

Yep, takes forever for them to warm up, especially with the typical heavy duty cooling system on them. My daily commute is 13 minutes, and it barely gets warm when I get to the office.

Pulling the boat, the gas 6.0 2500 got 7.5-8 mpg. The diesel will get 11-13. Both speed and terrain dependent.

By the time you add in DEF, I figure diesel is typically $.75 more expensive than gas.

Ride is significantly rougher than a 1/2 ton. Throw a few bags of sand in the back to help, or keep a big Yeti back there.

We have the NASCAR race here in Bristol. They always bring in a fleet of trucks to haul the drivers around and for the Chevy display. The last three I bought have been demo trucks with about 100 miles on them. Typically about a $12,000 discount, so at least not quite as bad as the sticker price. My last High Country diesel was $56,000.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Yeah no. Any savvy diesel owner I know gets DEF from a truck stop pump station. $2.80 / gal last week. Plus it’s from a pump, so topping up is easy, and it’s fresh urea.

I get around 1500 miles of mostly hiway driving per gal DEF. so the cost per mile is less than 2/10th of a penny.

Cat piss out of a pump? Egads!

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Cat piss out of a pump? Egads!
    Just bipassed the cat piss regeneration system on my 6.7. Mother of God.. Took a rocket ship and turned it into the speed of light. So far I've gone from about a 15.5 daily to 18mpg.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Was closing up our cabin then heading to catch the last ferry before the state went into full travel lockdown. Windy as hell and a large spruce fell across the road in the neighborhood. Pinched for time I decided to grab a strap and haul the tree out of the way- as opposed to going back to our place and getting the chainsaw. First pull moved it a bit, but truck wasn’t dealing well on the ice. Put it into 4 low aka “tank mode” and cleared the lane. One of those moments when you think he’ll yeah that’s why I have this big ass rig.

Only bummer was not having time to saw it up and throw in the back, would have been a easy firewood trip.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Just bipassed the cat piss regeneration system on my 6.7. Mother of God.. Took a rocket ship and turned it into the speed of light. So far I've gone from about a 15.5 daily to 18mpg.
    Things that amuse me. Duh.

Cummins developing cylinder deactivation for diesels: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...-deactivation/

I’m not a fan of this for GM gas engines, for the usual reasons, but it’s interesting to see this technology investment.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    The rich step-brother

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	land-rover-defender-.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	633.3 KB 
ID:	319833
    I cringe to think of what bling the morons will adding to an otherwise great 4x4 legacy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I saw a brand new Range Rover with a brand new plow blade on the front of it. It was pretty weird.

am looking for a daily driver that can carry a light weight camper. Looks like the 3.5L EcoBoost will do it. Do not plan to buy till fall thought I would start looking now. Anything else to look at it? Am I wrong to think it will work fine with a 2000lb camper? Hoping to find with less than 30000 mies for under $30000.
    off your knees Louie

I think it would "work" just fine based on ratings and all that. That is however, quite a bit of weight in a half ton. It will take its toll of the vehicle over its life. If you can deal with it on the daily, a 3/4 ton gasser in a more appropriate rig for the camper.

I don't know why the manufacturers stopped putting the smaller motors in the 3/4 tons. That used to be a pretty common set up for contractors. No zippyness, but good functionality.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    am looking for a daily driver that can carry a light weight camper. Looks like the 3.5L EcoBoost will do it. Do not plan to buy till fall thought I would start looking now. Anything else to look at it? Am I wrong to think it will work fine with a 2000lb camper? Hoping to find with less than 30000 mies for under $30000.
    Should be just fine.