Page 121 of 199 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I was wondering the other day if I could just show up at local Toyota dealer and buy a tundra right off the lot. Tried calling down there twice and had no success. Conversation went something like

Me: i’d like to talk with someone in sales please

Her: “do you have someone in sales you’re working with?”

Me:no. I want to talk about buying a tundra

Her: OK hold on. After about 10 rounds of no answer and being transferred back to the operator I concluded that there was no one in sales that could answer the phone and I hung up.

So, does anyone know if it is indeed possible to show up at a Toyota dealer and go home with a new tundra?
    Co-worker did this a few months ago, but to buy a Tacoma. He was planning on buying a used one with about 25k miles on it. As he was talking to the salesman, a trailer load of Toyotas pulled into the dealership. There was a brand new, long bed TRD Tacoma on the trailer. He asked the salesman if that truck was available for sale. Quick check on the VIN, and my co-worker drove off in a brand new 4WD, grey TRD Tacoma.

So, maybe you just need to stake out a Toyota dealership and watch for new inventory to show up? Good luck.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’ve never used an 8-foot bed for fucking. Have I been missing out?
    Yes.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Depends on the size of the dudes you bring home.

Indeed you can walk into a Toyota dealer and drive a new Tundra off the lot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632965950.487818.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	387318

Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post

So, maybe you just need to stake out a Toyota dealership and watch for new inventory to show up? Good luck.
    i was in town today, rolled by Toyota dealership and asked to talk with a sales guy, to see what's possible these days... you know, to ask my question. He scoffed at the question - "If we had one, you could buy it, but these days the new ones are all spoken for". Apparently, the usual deal is to order a new one thru the dealer and wait 3-6mos for it to arrive.

He showed me a few used Tundras, and as we walked around the lot, waaaaayyyy in the corner was this black tundra just sitting all alone. What's up w that one? He's like, not sure what's up, but i'll go ask.

Well, the truck arrived on the lot today and had 2 miles on it! I test drove it for 5 more, considered the big picture and before you know it, i'm signed sealed and delivered, having bought my first 'new car' in 22 years. Crazy!!

Kindof on a whim, but i've been kicking around the idea of an upgrade for a while now and given the used market, i can sell my existing low miles Tundra for good money, so this purchase wasn't that outlandish i guess. ahhhh shit. trucks are expensive!!

I bought a new Corolla on Saturday, for a daily driver. I mentioned to the salesman that I had a 2011 Tundra, which I was keeping, and he damn near jumped in my lap trying to get me to sell. Hens teeth.

One of the managers at the local dealer has been pestering me to sell my 19 Tacoma back to them. Crazy times.

Market is crazy. I sold my Tundra and ordered a Chevy Crew Cab 2500. Didn't get to test drive one as they didn't have any. So the thing comes in and it is a beast. I drive it for 3 months, decide it is to big so I call the dealer and they buy it from me for $5000 more than I paid for it. Then I go out find a nice used 2006 2500 Chevy regular cab long bed with only 30k miles on it that meets all my truck needs without the feeling of driving a mack truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I used to have a Duramax with no muffler. I think this counts as me “maturing” or something.

Also, Alberta is changing these days. Those guys all went to Saskatchewan.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thank you for maturing. Honestly.

So Saskatchewan from Alberta is like how redneck Californians and Coloradoans move to Oregon? The great migration

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Indeed you can walk into a Toyota dealer and drive a new Tundra off the lot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1632965950.487818.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	387318
    Nice! Larry comes through for yet another mag.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

FYI, I saw a couple Tundras on the lot at Kendall Toyota in Bend this morning…

Bought a '19 Tundra Limited in '18 for $42k. Just went in for my last "free" oil change and the dealer offered me $46k trade w/30k on it towards a '21 Tundra. Said I was interested. Walked out to the lot and there were a couple stripped down service type models. Asked about ordering one and when I could take delivery. Sales guy said someday. So I still have my '19.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - except for the worthless fucking "bed" on it.

I mean the Rivian's tailgate hinges out so you get a 7 foot platform (while being 50 inches between the wheel arches). That should be plenty for most extracurricular activities unless you're trying to double up on a pro volleyball player.

But really aside from the people who seem to go get yards of mulch every weekend, I would imagine that a 4.5 bed that converts to a 7 foot platform would be enough for a lot of people. Particularly as this seems to be marketed as a vehicle an outdoor activity machine rather than a landscaping truck. It does fall short in ski storage though.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    , I would imagine that a 4.5 bed that converts to a 7 foot platform would be enough for a lot of people.
    Absolutely. People that don't need a pickup.

Also known as Tacoma drivers

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Alright, the new truck made it up to Brighton tonite. Gotta put a shell, cargo slide and some tires on it. In the meantime i put the moto rack on the back, threw all my shit in dry bags in the bed and setting off for Moab tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0484.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	387453

Yeah - except for the worthless fucking "bed" on it.

I mean, I drive a van with a maybe 42 inch cargo area behind the rear seats so I don't really have a horse in this race, but pickup folks seem to be very hung up on bed size. What do you really need a much bigger bed for? Not sheetgoods (second only to mulch in what is e-hauled), probably not mountain bikes. They can still go over the tailgate. Not motorcycles, they can sit in there with the bed down no problem. Dead deer fit. With most non-HD trucks, you'll run out of payload before you run out of bed space for gravel or stone. Topsoil I guess?

I grew up hauling big loads of hay in an old 8ft bed F250 (which we'd also use for big loads of gravel), but we used the smaller trucks, a golf cart with a trailer, and later a side by side with probably a 3 foot bed to carry stuff way more often than the old F250. I feel like there are lots of things that are useful to not have to put inside your vehicle that aren't gigantic. And the frunk on the new electric trucks kind of takes away some of the downsides of just having bed storage.

Now, for my needs, I'd be happier if they just covered the bed, opened it up to the cab, and made a van with a big rear cargo area, but I generally seem to be out of step with consumer preferences, so I won't hold out hope. ha

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

I mean, I drive a van with a maybe 42 inch cargo area behind the rear seats so I don't really have a horse in this race, but pickup folks seem to be very hung up on bed size. What do you really need a much bigger bed for? Not sheetgoods (second only to mulch in what is e-hauled), probably not mountain bikes. They can still go over the tailgate. Not motorcycles, they can sit in there with the bed down no problem. Dead deer fit. With most non-HD trucks, you'll run out of payload before you run out of bed space for gravel or stone. Topsoil I guess?
    I'll flip the question...why do people need a pickup with a mega back seat and a short bed? Me personally, I spend a lot of nights all seasons in the back of my truck under the topper. I'm 6' tall and my skis are 6+ feet tall. My bike fits in the back with me sleeping there. Two 125 qt coolers fit in there with me sleeping in it during elk season. We can fit two dry boxes lengthwise on big raft trips all under the topper, out of view, and locked up. I don't have to go all gotos to bring what I want without stuff hanging off all over the car. Four big dudes can fit in the cab for trips even though the back seat doesn't have room for Matumbo.

My Tundra is the same configuration as upthread.

Not that anyone should have to justify why they drive what they want to drive. Let us over compensate with bed length fella.

I agree. I love my new (to me) Silverado, but the backseat area is 11” longer than my old one, but the bed is still 5’8” or whatever. I wish it had the same size rear as the ‘13, but with a 6’ (or more) bed. The camping under the topper would be a little easier to manage, especially if I keep my bike in there with me. (I take the camper if it’s a family trip)
    OTOH, three bikes can fit in the rear seat area now with the pedals taken off, so that’s kinda cool for secure topper ‘camping’ in dubious spots.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I'll flip the question...why do people need a pickup with a mega back seat and a short bed?
    Towing
    Most crew cabs are short beds for this reason

But, I’m with you…I fit in my long bed/topper for overnight trips

Meh, longer vehicles tow better. They could beef a few parts of the big cab trucks to gain some capacity there on the top end of the range. Really, who are these people towing 11-12,000 pounds regularly on a half ton and do they really benefit from the few extra pounds saved in the truck by not putting and extra 1-1.5' on the bed?

Those mega cab short bed trucks are easier to park in urban areas. Urban areas being the market for those type of pickups. Do you buy a pickup to haul people in the cab or things in the back?

^^^ The main reason I have ever had a pickup is that I can fit me and a bike in the back to sleep, and tow a trailer when the wife wants to join me.

I'll flip the question...why do people need a pickup with a mega back seat and a short bed? Me personally, I spend a lot of nights all seasons in the back of my truck under the topper. I'm 6' tall and my skis are 6+ feet tall. My bike fits in the back with me sleeping there. Two 125 qt coolers fit in there with me sleeping in it during elk season. We can fit two dry boxes lengthwise on big raft trips all under the topper, out of view, and locked up. I don't have to go all gotos to bring what I want without stuff hanging off all over the car. Four big dudes can fit in the cab for trips even though the back seat doesn't have room for Matumbo.

My Tundra is the same configuration as upthread.

Not that anyone should have to justify why they drive what they want to drive. Let us over compensate with bed length fella.
    Ha part of the reason I got a van was that I wanted to sleep inside and at 6'3" with a flat on my back, toes pointed out sleeping position, I generally would need to sleep a bit diagonal even in 6'6" beds or have my head/feet bumping against the end of the topper. Sleeping inside is a good reason for a long bed I agree.

Meh, longer vehicles tow better. They could beef a few parts of the big cab trucks to gain some capacity there on the top end of the range. Really, who are these people towing 11-12,000 pounds regularly on a half ton and do they really benefit from the few extra pounds saved in the truck by not putting and extra 1-1.5' on the bed?

Those mega cab short bed trucks are easier to park in urban areas. Urban areas being the market for those type of pickups. Do you buy a pickup to haul people in the cab or things in the back?
    I think turning radius is the issue
    & the unsaid bit is that no one really hauls all that much in the bed anyway