Page 115 of 199 FirstFirst ... 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    The quantity of brand new gigantic 1 ton trucks towing huge RV trailers I've recently seen in all the RV parks we stopped at on my recent 3 week (rented) rv trip to Idaho, Wyoming and Utah was astonishing.
    I recently did 2500 miles through ID, OR, NV and agree. The ginormous RV trailers with new trucks driving around everywhere in the West are massive and jawdropping. Newly retired or people with 6 kids maybe?

I also was coming to the realization as I drove around, seeing sketchy campers everywhere, that a ton of used lower-to-mid end campers have been recently taken off the market by the new homeless class of America, which is driving up prices on POS campers due to scarcity and making others who would be buying used, consider new. I don't think #vanlifers are taking the majority of the used market anymore, but I have no numbers to back this up. Just an idle thought while bored out of my mind driving.

At least they're driving a vehicle designed for pulling big trailers. I've see too many small SUV or Tacos pulling way too big of a trailer or camper this summer. Kind of freaks me out when I see them coming with their front bumper up in the air and tail of the trailer wagging around.

^^I see that every day. It's fun in a scary kinda way watching them struggle up some of the hills here with the front wheel slipping and screeching as the traction control gets busy. There's usually a couple of trailers in the empty lot next to Aamco and some insufficient tow vehicles waiting on parts next to them.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^I see that every day. It's fun in a scary kinda way watching them struggle up some of the hills here with the front wheel slipping and screeching as the traction control gets busy. There's usually a couple of trailers in the empty lot next to Aamco and some insufficient tow vehicles waiting on parts next to them.
    Scarier yet is watching them snake down steep hills. Was behind a Tacoma towing a large camper today going down Galena Pass and that trailer was all over the road to the point that an oncoming truck smashed his horn at him.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Had a call earlier this summer of a little truck towing a big trailer pulled over coming down the pass potentially on fire. Upon arrival the dude had fans/leaf blowers plugged into a generator cooling his brakes, wife had 4 spray bottles set up and was rotating around putting water on them, and he was walking around with a digital thermometer checking temps. It was like ohhhhh, this isn't the first time you've done this, perhaps get a more appropriate towing set up.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    It's true. My 2012 F150 has been the oldest truck in our loop several times this summer, not to mention my 1988 trailer.
    My parents went to stay in an RV park a couple years ago, and because their truck/trailer were over 5 years old, they had to send photos to the management company to ensure it was up to snuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    My parents went to stay in an RV park a couple years ago, and because their truck/trailer were over 5 years old, they had to send photos to the management company to ensure it was up to snuff.
    10 year cutoff is pretty common. Hell there is a place in fucking hillbilly Montrose, CO with a 10 or 15 year rule.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Had a call earlier this summer of a little truck towing a big trailer pulled over coming down the pass potentially on fire. Upon arrival the dude had fans/leaf blowers plugged into a generator cooling his brakes, wife had 4 spray bottles set up and was rotating around putting water on them, and he was walking around with a digital thermometer checking temps. It was like ohhhhh, this isn't the first time you've done this, perhaps get a more appropriate towing set up.
    That's fucking amazing.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Name:  20210731_163032.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  60.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Name:  20210731_163032.jpeg
Views: 489
Size:  60.5 KB
    I've always thought a baja with a shell would be a bitchin' dog hauler/DD. There's a guy in my neighborhood that has a black one with a mid-rise shell, it's like a mini-me of my truck.

So, I’m a little Dodge-Curious. (2019 1500) I always thought they were a little too ‘maga-Bro’, but there are some things that are appealing, like the interior, the fuel mileage, and the towing capacity. And supposedly ride quality.
    Any jeers from the peanut gallery?

And yes, I am looking to expand my options.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I’m a little Dodge-Curious. (2019 1500) I always thought they were a little too ‘maga-Bro’, but there are some things that are appealing, like the interior, the fuel mileage, and the towing capacity. And supposedly ride quality.
    Any jeers from the peanut gallery?

And yes, I am looking to expand my options.
    I've ridden in my friend's 1500 on a couple of moto trips. It's comfy like a car. The 3l diesel seems great (I think he's at like 100k by now) and the mileage is incredible. He drove us non stop from Carson to Boise one time and it didn't even need a fill up. He tows a smallish travel trailer with it with motos in the bed and says it does well. To me they don't scream maga any more than another truck. Don't install a lift and giant wheels or drive like an asshole and people will just assume you're another of the millions who buy trucks when a regular car would do the job better.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The ride quality on the Rams really is pretty plush. I had a 1500 with low gears and the Hemi and it sounded amazing and hauled People of Walmart sized ass.

Like any FCA product, it will fall apart by 100k but it will be pretty nice until then. Resale without a diesel is the worst of the big 3, but still strong because truck.

It also seems to be the ride of choice in Jackson and East Idaho so parts are plentiful. Rocky Mountain Yeti are shiesters though so meh.

PS you have any bites from the local dealers buying your rig?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    <snip>

Like any FCA product, it will fall apart by 100k
    Is this *still* the case? You'd think FCA would have this sorted by now.

Oh, wait.

The ride quality on the Rams really is pretty plush. I had a 1500 with low gears and the Hemi and it sounded amazing and hauled People of Walmart sized ass.

Like any FCA product, it will fall apart by 100k but it will be pretty nice until then. Resale without a diesel is the worst of the big 3, but still strong because truck.

It also seems to be the ride of choice in Jackson and East Idaho so parts are plentiful. Rocky Mountain Yeti are shiesters though so meh.
    I continually hear they self implode at 100K, I am on my 3rd one - the first 2 went over 200K with no major issues. I think the worst incident for me was a blown water pump in the middle of the night in the middle of no where (my fault because I heard the tell tale rattle and thought it would make it home. I drive like a bat out of hell, tow frequently and haul all kinds of shit in it. I am an N of 1 so take it for what its worth. By the way I freaking love the hemi, good gas mileage and power to spare when I need it.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Is this *still* the case? You'd think FCA would have this sorted by now.

Oh, wait.

It's Stellantis now, at least until the next owner comes along...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I continually hear they self implode at 100K, I am on my 3rd one - the first 2 went over 200K with no major issues. I think the worst incident for me was a blown water pump in the middle of the night in the middle of no where (my fault because I heard the tell tale rattle and thought it would make it home. I drive like a bat out of hell, tow frequently and haul all kinds of shit in it. I am an N of 1 so take it for what its worth. By the way I freaking love the hemi, good gas mileage and power to spare when I need it.
    My jeep has been run hard and put away wet, and it still will start everyday and drive over mountains but the interior is falling apart and the exterior plastics are fading away to nothing and I'm at 95k.

The transmissions used to be the real failure point but I do believe they at least fixed those.
    Live Free or Die

3L diesel with the 8spd auto fits together pretty nicely, imo. Enough torque to get you going but enough gearing to keep the rpms in an economical range most of the time.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

PS you have any bites from the local dealers buying your rig?
    Sold it to Carmax for $18k and change. Not bad for a whooped truck with a few engine problems and 140k miles of hard use. Pretty happy overall, paid 30k for it in ‘16. I’m not easy on trucks.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Which yrs of the 3 L ecodiesel Ram have the EGR issue? I’ve heard nightmare stories of dealers telling customers it’ll be xx months before the warranty parts arrive.

The mpg and ride quality are good IME.

Put 20k on my '14 1500 w/ the 3.6 and 8spd tranny.
    Empty it gets >20mpg highway.
    Often it's loaded with a 2500# trailer, 4 people, and the bed w/ cap loaded to the gills, and I'll get ~16 mpg.
    It shit out an alternator at 60k. The battery died and when I jumped it, it wouldn't let me shift out of park w/ the dumb electronic gear shift knob. I had to disconnect the battery/reset the ECU. Also, if you're getting it towed, you can't just put it in neutral and turn the key. It automatically goes back into park.

Other than that, it's been pretty good. Reasonably priced compared to other trucks on the market. Hopefully it doesn't implode at 100k.

Hello Mags! So I’m back in the truck world. I traded in my 2015 Outback with 104k on it for a 2015 Tacoma with 60k on it. Both have had one minor fender bender repair. Pretty psyched with my new ride. Not my main commuter but my work horse! I went extended cab, because there is something about double cab that’s just a little too hybrid for me. I am also just now learning that with the Tundras and Tacoma’s frame rust is the thing to watch after. Everything points towards fluid film.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3542.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	252.3 KB 
ID:	381366

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I'll have beta on that soon enough as my bro-in-law takes delivery in April of his 110.

He also likes to live dangerously.
    Search assisted throwback! How does your BIL like his 110 so far?

Can we talk tonneau covers? I'm looking for the Tacoma. What do you have? Are you against them? Hard or soft? Roll or Flip? Does it leak or sag?

I got a TonnoPro Hard Tri Fold for my older model Tacoma for winter season. It has been perfect - good balance of function, looks, and cost (~$500). Comes off once paddling season starts (rack goes on). I treat it like a tool not a jewel and it's not falling apart. But nice to know I can buy parts if I need to.

tl;dr - good, cost-effective option.