Page 89 of 199 FirstFirst ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    If you were in the market for a new truck...specifically, a 1/2 ton, extended cab (not crew cab), standard bed (6.5') that will not be used for towing but as a mountain commuter and a weekend camper (putting a topper on). I plan on doing a fair amount of dirt road driving and some off roading to get to remote areas, nothing super rowdy, though...what are you looking at?

Currently liking the Chevy Silverado Trail Boss, but also somewhat considering Ford F150. Chevy seems to be offering the best incentives (cash back, APR, accessories), but Dodge and Nissan are starting to throw some deals out there (Haven't really looked at Titan or at Ram.) I see a lot of love for Tundras, but Toyota is not offering great incentives, and I'm not sure I can justify spending THAT much more for a truck. Is the extra 5-10k worth it?

Not really sure what I'm looking for here, but feel free to throw in your 2 cents. Thanks!
    If not hauling or towing; why the need for a half-ton? Or do you need the 6.5' bed for sleeping and what not?

My Dad just picked up a 2018 Silverado 1500 crew cab with the standard bed. Nice truck but it is loooonnnggg.

Just got 2020 Ranger Lariat with 17K on odometer.
    Leveling kit, bigger tires, topper are on my list, just need to drive it from FL to UT...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just saw a 2000 land cruiser (4.7l engine) with over 400k miles (on single engine) for sale on a land cruiser fb market place page. Claimed to be well maintained and run well. It looked nice.

Seeing several f150’s around 2012-2014 came up for sale with the 5.0
    More concerned with gas mileage and durability vs towing power.
    Is that the coyote engine? Was it a dog? Is that a pun?

Its my understanding the 5L was really bomber
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Just saw a 2000 land cruiser (4.7l engine) with over 400k miles (on single engine) for sale on a land cruiser fb market place page. Claimed to be well maintained and run well. It looked nice.
    As all LC and LX owners would comment. 400k miles...just getting broken in.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    As all LC and LX owners would comment. 400k miles...just getting broken in.
    Yep. Just confirming as was being brought up in context of a tundra. For the 100-series, the engine may be running great after 400k miles, but you may not be able to role your windows up or down.

Show me a land cruiser with 400k and I'll show you a rich guy with a really liberal definition of "just regular maintenance".
    Live Free or Die

there is nothing cheap about a land cruiser.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    They are good trucks, after a lot of research I decided it was what I wanted to buy 2.5 years ago. I bought a 2012. My MPG isn't great but I have a tall topper, 3.73s (lowest gears available), 2" lift, and bigger E-rated tires. The lift and bigger tires were on it when I bought it so no frame of reference there.

The 5.0/6 speed auto combo doesn't seem to have a ton of problems overall. Its definitely not a dog, but obviously an ecoboost will be better at altitude, especially towing.

The platform does have some common issues (what car doesn't?) including leaking rear windows, cooling t-connector leaks, and IWE issues. I've had to fix all three on my truck. Read up on the IWEs- its a dumb system and I went round and round with a shop that couldn't get it fixed right for quite a while. It sounds like a leveling kit makes IWE issue more common, but again I don't know either way.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    there is nothing cheap about a land cruiser.
    I read a few weeks ago that the 300 series in the US will be less luxury, more off road oriented, and lower price point compared to the 100 and 200 series.

I read a few weeks ago that the 300 series in the US will be less luxury, more off road oriented, and lower price point compared to the 100 and 200 series.
    There is some conflicting info but consensus seems to be 2021 is the last year for the Land Cruiser in the US; that only the updated Lexus LX may use the 300 platform.
    Last edited by Mazderati; 12-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.

I have a 2011 supercab lariat with the 5.0. 170K miles, owned since new. MPG not great - average about 17 over the life. I don't tow much so not a great barometer here. I've had great luck with durability (knock on wood) - nothing major beyond routine oil changes, new shocks around 110K, brakes, fluid changes, tires etc. Some weird gremlins have been popping up lately but I chalk that up to a truck w 170K miles more than anything. I also baby the truck driving to and from my dental practice, so depending on use might have different results

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    There is some conflicting info but consensus seems to be 2021 is the last year for the Land Cruiser in the US; that only the updated Lexus LX may use the 300 platform.
    I’ve read that, too. So a new Lexus SUV that apparently is less luxury oriented and cheaper than the current model offering. Weird.

For an SUV/truck that seems to be designed and built for a very long useful life, with significant design changes occurring once a decade-ish, and the trend towards electric or hybrid vehicles, it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

Forgot about my question above, but since went in a new direction. Just put in an order for a Colorado ZR2....super excited, but have to wait 2 or 3 months for delivery. Cue Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by patg View Post
    I . I also baby the truck driving to and from my dental practice, so depending on use might have different results
    well played sir ^^

I heard the 5L maybe not as exciting as the 3.5 but can more easily pass a repair facility,

i drove a raptor on a fish shuttle, I never hot rod the trucks on shuttles but that truck was saying give it to me baby
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I’ve read that, too. So a new Lexus SUV that apparently is less luxury oriented and cheaper than the current model offering. Weird.

For an SUV/truck that seems to be designed and built for a very long useful life, with significant design changes occurring once a decade-ish, and the trend towards electric or hybrid vehicles, it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.
    Shit just in time to drive up the market for used LXs right when I’ll be shopping for one.

Thanks for the replies on the 5.0 I guess I’ll take a look. Thought the 5.4 was the only one to have. I’m guessing the 5.4 gets better mpg despite being bigger, and would obviously tow better if that were a concern for someone. But then again I hear its spark plugs drown on the regular.

Thanks for the replies on the 5.0 I guess I’ll take a look. Thought the 5.4 was the only one to have. I’m guessing the 5.4 gets better mpg despite being bigger, and would obviously tow better if that were a concern for someone. But then again I hear its spark plugs drown on the regular.
    The 5.4 is a problem-plagued engine and also makes less power than the 5.0. If towing is a big concern ecoboost is the way to go, although I did over 4k miles of towing my 22' travel trailer this summer just fine, leaves a little to be desired in the mountains though.

I helped a family member buy a new 2015 F-150 with the 5.0. Apart from a recall and shit-ass lug nuts that had to be replaced, it's gone 100k trouble-free miles to date. Some of the earlier years had issues with ovalized cylinders.

Re: New LX. The expectation is it will be every bit as luxury-oriented as the current model. Maybe more so and priced accordingly. The new LX is not assuming the LC's spot; it's just the US is not getting the new LC. The off-road market is super hot (think 4Runner, new Bronco, new Defender, Raptor) so it seems crazy for Toyota to drop the LC but they have a history of making some boneheaded decisions so it isn't totally out of line.

Thanks. And well I didn’t realize till now that they stopped using the 5.4 in f150’s in 2010 apparently lol. Seems they ran 4 more years in the expedition to 2014.

Trucks.

When I quit my job last year, I walked away from a company truck. I had the use of a company truck for the previous 18 years. When it came time for me to buy my own vehicle, my wife suggested I look at a truck since we had become so used to having a truck in our lives.
    Over the years I had used F150s, F250s, F350s, Duramaxii, Rams, and a Titan, so I was familiar with them.
    The Ford F150 was a decent truck, that didn't do anything all that well, but it wasn't bad at anything either. My initial thought was to get a 5.0 F150, but my last work truck dropped a valve on cylinder 8 at 120k km, and the guy at the dealership didn't seem surprised by this. I needed a crew cab truck, and the Fords are notorious for exploding their rear windows when the defrost is used, so Ford was out.
    The Ram was decent enough, but I couldn't find a nice used model that didn't smell like cigarettes or Axe.
    Newer Chevs still rust too much up here, and I couldn't justify getting an early '00s Duramax. The premium for a lower mileage diesel is crazy in Alberta.
    I liked the Titan I had, but they are overpriced for what you get, and I'm not sold on their long-term reliability.
    So that left me with Toyota. And after a year of ownership, the only complaint I have is the small gas tank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	354415
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Re: New LX. The expectation is it will be every bit as luxury-oriented as the current model. Maybe more so and priced accordingly. The new LX is not assuming the LC's spot; it's just the US is not getting the new LC. The off-road market is super hot (think 4Runner, new Bronco, new Defender, Raptor) so it seems crazy for Toyota to drop the LC but they have a history of making some boneheaded decisions so it isn't totally out of line.
    I’m not watching/reading much on this or keeping a close pulse on the media releases. Here’s the article that I read, which seems to differ (and possibly be wrong) from the other recent media that I just skimmed via google.

https://www.motor1.com/news/457449/t...er-2021-debut/

I also saw an article that said the 300-series will not come to the US, and Toyota will bring in an “LQ” model Lexus instead of the LX.

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

I couldn't find a nice used model that didn't smell like cigarettes or Axe.

My nightmare.
    Dropped my truck off at the shop for some help on the front axle this morning, riding my bike home could smell people’s cigarettes, laundry detergent, and axe coming out of vehicles as they passed me, gag. ( I don’t ride my bike on the road all that much so it was kinda shocking, cold out today maybe the heaters cranking amplified it. )

Thanks for the datapoints on the trucks, I guess I had sorta ruled out Toyota as I read their crash safety was fairly dated. Also thought they were many thousands higher then comparable f150. Would look at Chevy but there’s more Fords around here, and not sure if Chevy is still (or was in 2012-15) having that issue with the 4 cylinder shut down fuck up.

Guess I’ll look at some comps for other brands, I don’t have an allegence one way or the other. Only mandatories are 6.5 foot bed and 2 doors, not four. I wish there was enough room for ski boots behind the seats in a standard cab. Seems there is in some not in the others. Would be nicer to have the shorter wheelbase.