Page 161 of 199 FirstFirst ... 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    Today in decisions my wife doesn't understand but is equally amused and annoyed by:
    Attachment 422784

'88 22re, 5-speed, 4x4 with 171k miles. Just getting some surface rust on the outer body panels, undercarriage has virtually no corrosion. Probably thanks to the generous anti-rust coating being automatically applied by a leaky main seal (at minimum).
    I really wanted one of those for quite a while, but the closest I came was a 91 2WD Pickup. I still drool a little when I see one that clean, but I'd feel bad bringing one to Maine.

As already noted, very nicely done.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Are you referring to the Bronco or the Bronco Sport? I've seen issue reports with the former, but not anything widespread on the latter (granted, I stopped lurking in the BS forums after we split up).

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    I purchased a new bronco sport for my daughter. 500 miles in the brakes started squeaking, dealer said that was normal. 6 months in the transmission failed, apparently that was normal too. My daughter now has a subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Thirded. We just went for the Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. Wanted a 4xe and waited almost a year for it but finally admitted they are vaporware and got gas. It’s my wife’s vehicle. She had an off-road optioned-up one years ago and loved it. Regretted giving it up everyday, and is now beyond thrilled to have one again.

The trailhawk model is shockingly capable off road. It blows everything else you are considering away in that respect. My lovely wife drives off road like a maniac so it’ll help for us.

It also drives very well on road. 5/5 would recommend. Happy to answer questions.
    I’ll check it out.

I think I’m down to the GC and 4Runner, because I want good highway drivability and while I want to love the Wrangler, the highway driving just sounds awful.

But I’m hearing and reading lots of complaints about 4Runner’s dated 5th generation vehicle; Obv good off-road and good on-road but overpriced and sluggish with horrible gas mileage and an uncomfortable interior. Fuck if I know….

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Are you referring to the Bronco or the Bronco Sport? I've seen issue reports with the former, but not anything widespread on the latter (granted, I stopped lurking in the BS forums after we split up).
    In the commercials I've seen the Bronco is always driven by guys, while the Bronco Sport is always driven by women. In this woke world we live in I can't believe nobody has called out Ford for obviously sexist marketing. Particularly when the Bronco should have serious off road capabilities, but the Bronco Sport is basically a mall crawling Ford Escape CUV with a different body.

Bronco Sport ad, all women:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMDlI7VCSOo

Bronco instructional video, all men:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dThtJTR_Y

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’ll check it out.

I think I’m down to the GC and 4Runner, because I want good highway drivability and while I want to love the Wrangler, the highway driving just sounds awful.

But I’m hearing and reading lots of complaints about 4Runner’s dated 5th generation vehicle; Obv good off-road and good on-road but overpriced and sluggish with horrible gas mileage and an uncomfortable interior. Fuck if I know….
    That's exactly why we didn't get a 4 runner. That's what I initially leaned toward, but you can't compare the 4 runners dated interior to the new 5th gen GC. The GC is as nice as an audi inside on the upper trims. The trailhawk is slightly less plush but not much. But I love the touch screen and tech inside the GC. Hell, it has a 10" screen on which you can watch pitch and roll diagrams of the car while you are driving off-road. Insane. You can also watch the suspension and differential on a diagram while you drive. The off road features are crazy: air suspension with 5 settings, and you can change height on the fly. Highest is super tall, lowest is like sedan height (automatically lowers on the highway to save gas.) You can actually disconnect the sway bars - we didn't find another vehicle that can do that - to keep you from bouncing around at low speeds over rocky stuff. Limited slip differential, etc. Also has this setting that is essentially off-road cruise control where the car will just creep along at a steady pace without you having to have your foot on the gas. Full 360 cameras all the way around so you can see at the ground level while you drive. It's awesome. And unlike the 4 Runner, it doesn't drive like a truck.

In the end we didn't have a choice. We wanted the same thing you are talking about and the only things that fit the bill were a GC or a Range Rover, and I just couldn't deal with the all the crap that comes with a range rover for car that, imo, is worse off road and has a lower chance of being reliable.

Hope that helps. And feel free to ask more either on the board or PM.

The place where i fix dry suits is right next to the dodge/jeep dealer, buddy tells me a new jeep spontaneously combusted
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Saw a brand new GC early morning last week that still had it's temporary plates and the rear lights were already not working

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    That's exactly why we didn't get a 4 runner. That's what I initially leaned toward, but you can't compare the 4 runners dated interior to the new 5th gen GC. The GC is as nice as an audi inside on the upper trims. The trailhawk is slightly less plush but not much. But I love the touch screen and tech inside the GC. Hell, it has a 10" screen on which you can watch pitch and roll diagrams of the car while you are driving off-road. Insane. You can also watch the suspension and differential on a diagram while you drive. The off road features are crazy: air suspension with 5 settings, and you can change height on the fly. Highest is super tall, lowest is like sedan height (automatically lowers on the highway to save gas.) You can actually disconnect the sway bars - we didn't find another vehicle that can do that - to keep you from bouncing around at low speeds over rocky stuff. Limited slip differential, etc. Also has this setting that is essentially off-road cruise control where the car will just creep along at a steady pace without you having to have your foot on the gas. Full 360 cameras all the way around so you can see at the ground level while you drive. It's awesome. And unlike the 4 Runner, it doesn't drive like a truck.

In the end we didn't have a choice. We wanted the same thing you are talking about and the only things that fit the bill were a GC or a Range Rover, and I just couldn't deal with the all the crap that comes with a range rover for car that, imo, is worse off road and has a lower chance of being reliable.

Hope that helps. And feel free to ask more either on the board or PM.
    Damn…I’m not even looking for all that tech but that sounds amazing. I’ll definitely go test drive.
    Of course my concern always comes back to reliability, per the snarky comments above

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Damn…I’m not even looking for all that tech but that sounds amazing. I’ll definitely go test drive.
    Of course my concern always comes back to reliability, per the snarky comments above
    If your concern is reliability...

No snark
    FactClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220727_112833137.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	422861

It’s a Jeep thing
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

My dad owned an AMF....errrrC Jeep GC yrs ago. Thing was sweet........when it ran

The pinnacle of Jeep was the XJ Cherokee with a 4.0 straight six, the AW4 Aisin transmission, and the NP242 transfer case (shift between 2WD, 4 full time, 4 high, and 4 low). Best rear axle option in that configuration was the Chrysler 8.25, which you got on the non- ABS ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Tuco - that looks like a Wagoneer, not a GC.
    Jeep has always been a love/hate vehicle, and always will be.
    My dad's business was 4x4 salvage parts, I learned to drive on a CJ5 field car, and my first real car was a 93 GC. I'll own a Jeep until I'm in the ground.

Current gen 4Runner is still made in Japan and is about as reliable a vehicle as you're likely to find. Being body on frame, it's not going to be as nice to drive as most unibody SUVs, but it's (generally speaking) burlier and more capable. Personally, I'm a fan. I don't mind the more sparse interior and lack of gadgets, and I didn't find it to be particularly uncomfortable, especially for a body on frame SUV. It is much nicer to drive than a current gen Tacoma, IME.

Ultimately, nobody buys a 4Runner or Tacoma because they want to experience the pinnacle of luxury.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    <snip>
    Ultimately, nobody buys a 4Runner or Tacoma because they want to experience the pinnacle of luxury.
    Similar to how nobody buys a Jeep because they want the pinnacle of reliability.

It is much nicer to drive than a current gen Tacoma, IME.
    So true. The not made in Japan-ness is really glaring on the 3rd gen Tacoma.
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Similar to how nobody buys a Jeep because they want the pinnacle of reliability.
    Yet they do think they'll somehow dodge the bullet. I've had the "Jeeps are shit" "Yeah but..." conversation so many times.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    It's a fair point. But in the offroad world, the only car that is better in terms of reliability is the 4Runner, which drives substantially worse both on and off road (it's still a very good off road car, to be fair, just not nearly as good as a Trailhawk Wrangler or GC.) All the others: Range Rover, Land Rover Disco, Bronco, MB G Class - they are all substantially worse for reliability.

So you either go super reliable but not so nice and capable (4Runner) or a step down in reliability but super nice and capable (GC.). Or you just get something that you really like and you have enough money to not care (the others.)

Also, if you look at consumer reports, each GC generation has steadily climbed the reliability ratings. The 4th gen was not superb, but was still pretty good. If this 5th gen goes up one more notch it will be a very reliable car. And this 5th gen has been out in the wild for 18 months with good reliability reports so far.

I did some homework before purchase...
    Last edited by EWG; 08-02-2022 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Tuco - that looks like a Wagoneer, not a GC.
    Jeep has always been a love/hate vehicle, and always will be.
    My dad's business was 4x4 salvage parts, I learned to drive on a CJ5 field car, and my first real car was a 93 GC. I'll own a Jeep until I'm in the ground.
    Yep, totally was GW.
    Still though.....
    Hate to get ganked smokin a spliff in my brand new ride because of some taillights

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    the Bronco Sport is basically a mall crawling Ford Escape CUV with a different 4WD system that is far superior to anything in its class.
    FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yep, totally was GW.
    Still though.....
    Hate to get ganked smokin a spliff in my brand new ride because of some taillights
    Yup. This^. I wouldn't buy a Jeep if you paid me. And I loved the older ones (CJ's, OG Cherokees, OG Wagoneers).
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    FIFY

Mmmmmm, no. Some models (Badland) have some more options like a locking rear diff. I certainly hope that helps with an essentially front wheel drive vehicle. I assume the Power Transfer Unit locks as well.

Luxury 4Runner is the Limited trim or the Lexus lx470. Those are still behind the times in terms of electronics. However when Toyota does update the 4run and GX the engines will get smaller and the 4x4 systems will be neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Mmmmmm, no. Some models (Badland) have some more options like a locking rear diff. I certainly hope that helps with an essentially front wheel drive vehicle. I assume the Power Transfer Unit locks as well.
    You are wrong.

The Bronco Sport with Badlands has not only a locking rear diff, but a locking center diff as well. Try to find a comparable CUV with anything remotely close. Even the base Bronco Sport is a significant upgrade from the Escape it is based on due to a far superior center diff.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    You are wrong.

The Bronco Sport with Badlands has not only a locking rear diff, but a locking center diff as well. Try to find a comparable CUV with anything remotely close. Even the base Bronco Sport is a significant upgrade from the Escape it is based on due to a far superior center diff.

The Bronco Sport is front wheel drive based, transverse engine, isn't it? Just like the Maverick and Escape?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.