Page 85 of 199 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

is there an advantage of 20 inch wheel over 18 inch wheel? same gvwr on sticker
    off your knees Louie

Despite the fact I think 20s are stupid, I'd just look into tire prices/availability. When I bought new rims for my truck I switched from 17 to 16 due to prices/availability. I also like more sidewall but that's only an issue if you're offroading more.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    is there an advantage of 20 inch wheel over 18 inch wheel? same gvwr on sticker
    The tires cost more so its good for the tire store
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The 20" OEM truck wheel needs to die.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Like many here, I once owned that truck. Took a rollover like a champ and never cost me a dime in 100k miles. I still see it around town.
    A dark green ‘93 22RE was my first new vehicle purchase. Was the shit on FS roads but driving hundreds of miles to the E Sierra as it struggled to maintain 65 mph (or 60 on a windy day) got old fast...hey I was a Seattle transplant, didn’t understand what was needed for high desert driving :lol:

Sacrilege ^^ ! These thing are now fucking ancient but people are still coming all over their screens at the pictures

I put a bunch of hard kms on a 1990 with V6 which I liked driving but it still broke down
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    A dark green ‘93 22RE was my first new vehicle purchase. Was the shit on FS roads but driving hundreds of miles to the E Sierra as it struggled to maintain 65 mph (or 60 on a windy day) got old fast...hey I was a Seattle transplant, didn’t understand what was needed for high desert driving :lol:
    Same here. Went with the 22RE and it turned out to be just a wee bit under powered when doing anything at all.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I remember letting a friend drive my 88 4Runner up sherwin grade, and she kept shifting it into 4th after getting pretty high in 3rd. It’d slow down and bog down, and she’d shift back into 3rd and repeat the process. After the 3rd or 4th try, she was like, “wtf is wrong with your engine?” We talked about it a bit and then she just kept it in 3rd and in the slow lane until we got near the top of the summit. I think the highest it got on pavement was red mtn pass. It was fine and just took the right frame of mind from the driver. Kinda like driving a vanagan.

Tell me this isn’t a stock grill on a 2009 f150?

Name:  88A173CF-6C88-49F9-BDA5-9C0F82847D9F.jpeg
Views: 1456
Size:  18.7 KB

Edit just scrolled through a bunch of images, looks like ford made about 4 different grills, that’s not one of them. Wondernif the guy just wanted more bling or if he wrecked the first one.
    Last edited by Rideski; 08-18-2020 at 08:21 AM.

Heh, the old 22R and RE did not like to lug. At all. It sounded bad to keep it at 4000+rpm, but that was were the powerband was on those little 4bangers. Other than a timingchain tearing out a cover due to plastic slack adjuster failure, one old 22RE went over 450000km of hard bush road before the CVSE demanded the body and frame get inspected. Oh well.

I would buy a new 85 x-cab toyota with solid front axle and 22RE tomorrow if they were still made. 260k km in the bush on the 2003 taco with the 3.4l, and no signs of stopping yet. The newer tacos (2016 and newer) in the work fleet aren't holding up quite so well, but comparable to the half-ton chevy and fords if a smaller bush truck is your desire.

Had an '84 Toyota P/U and made the stupid promise to my wife that I wouldn't buy a new truck until it croaked. Boy that was stupid. Great surf mobile, it finally got so ratty looking she relented. It's probably still running somewhere.

Speaking of Nikola, it looks like someone made a bullet point list of all my gut reactions upon first learning about the company and their CEO (prompted by this thread in February). No idea how accurate it is, but getting some attention on the street this morning.

https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Tell me this isn’t a stock grill on a 2009 f150?

Name:  88A173CF-6C88-49F9-BDA5-9C0F82847D9F.jpeg
Views: 1456
Size:  18.7 KB

Edit just scrolled through a bunch of images, looks like ford made about 4 different grills, that’s not one of them. Wondernif the guy just wanted more bling or if he wrecked the first one.
    I am toying with the idea of making a new grill for our 1995 Bronco project.
    I am thinking of templating it off the new Bronco grill, but in chrome.
    Could look pretty cool. I will have to mess with it in photoshop before I commit to all that work.

Since there seems to be a lot of Toyota truck knowledge here I'm gonna do some info mining. The motor in my car grenaded about a month ago and I'm not sure I want to spend what it's going to cost to solve the problem so I'm looking around trying to figure out what to do and I'm finding a bunch of 4Runners and Landcruisers at what seem to be good prices. Late 90's Cruisers with mid 100k mileage for $5-7k is typical with mid 'aughts for $6-10k and 03-09 4Runners for $3-10k. There's one (4R) in particular that piqued my interest, it's an 03 Sport with the 4.7 and 135k for $6k and a 94 Cruiser with 149k, tastefully modded, at a dealer for $12,9 which does seem top of the market but it looks like a garage queen from someones weekend/summer house by the beach.

I know both vehicles sort of because I had older versions so have a fair idea of what I'm getting into (I think). Is the Sport with the 4.7 a common find? Almost everything else I've seen is the V6. What are some of the things to look out for on these, typical problems or scheduled maintenance that should be done by this mileage? While I like the Cruiser I'm not sold on needing a full size rig for 95% of the time but if y'all convince me that it's worth the effort I could be swayed.

What's rust like there? I'd think a 90's LC would have some pretty active metal termites in that climate.

That's what is putting my 06 Durango out of commission. It can get pretty terrible here. Of course I'd spend some time crawling around under anything I'd get and hopefully I'd see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I wonder if there are any motors, or batteries in that thing? It is a nice looking rig though. Maybe they will actually produce it.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

The v8 4runners need a timing belt change every 7 years. It's a big job and involves a lot of work. Can do it yourself if you're handy but it's not something I'd advise unless you're confident in your wrenching. Mine also wore out u joints pretty quickly for some reason.

They also get terrible mpg. I had one for 3 years and avg was 14 mpg. That being said, the truck was indestructible. I only sold it because I needed a minivan to fit two kids in car seats. Looking to buy another 4runner one day.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    The v8 4runners need a timing belt change every 7 years. It's a big job and involves a lot of work. Can do it yourself if you're handy but it's not something I'd advise unless you're confident in your wrenching. Mine also wore out u joints pretty quickly for some reason.

They also get terrible mpg. I had one for 3 years and avg was 14 mpg. That being said, the truck was indestructible. I only sold it because I needed a minivan to fit two kids in car seats. Looking to buy another 4runner one day.
    Perfect, thanks. I'll remember to follow up on that when I'm looking at these things. My 91 SR5 ate up u joints also. If gas stays cheap for a few more years it won't bother me too badly dealing with with shitty mpg's, my hope is to be in something full electric within 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    It's a 100k miles timing belt.

As I now own a V8 4Runner and paid to have it replaced; I'm fine with the cost given what I get in return and the trouble-free nature of the truck.

Trucks.

There’s a thread (mostly) dedicated to the 90’s 80-series land cruiser

80 series land cruiser futures
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=312424

Suggest also adding the Lexus LX (land cruiser equivalent) and the GX (similar to a 4Runner) to your list.

I have been looking at those the last few days. They often seem to be in better shape than the Toyota versions and are cheaper too. I guess those owners are easier on their mall crawlers and probably do things like scheduled maintenance when they're supposed to. I think more of them were leased the first few years of their lives because they tend to have lower mileage on them also.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Since there seems to be a lot of Toyota truck knowledge here I'm gonna do some info mining. The motor in my car grenaded about a month ago and I'm not sure I want to spend what it's going to cost to solve the problem so I'm looking around trying to figure out what to do and I'm finding a bunch of 4Runners and Landcruisers at what seem to be good prices. Late 90's Cruisers with mid 100k mileage for $5-7k is typical with mid 'aughts for $6-10k and 03-09 4Runners for $3-10k. There's one (4R) in particular that piqued my interest, it's an 03 Sport with the 4.7 and 135k for $6k and a 94 Cruiser with 149k, tastefully modded, at a dealer for $12,9 which does seem top of the market but it looks like a garage queen from someones weekend/summer house by the beach.

I know both vehicles sort of because I had older versions so have a fair idea of what I'm getting into (I think). Is the Sport with the 4.7 a common find? Almost everything else I've seen is the V6. What are some of the things to look out for on these, typical problems or scheduled maintenance that should be done by this mileage? While I like the Cruiser I'm not sold on needing a full size rig for 95% of the time but if y'all convince me that it's worth the effort I could be swayed.
    If you're hunting for an early-00s v8 4R, you should also look at the Lexus GX. It's much easier to find one that's been babied

On those, you want to check that the rear airbags don't leak or are swapped for springs. The timing belt is every 90k on the 4.7, but it enjoys a reputation for extreme durability otherwise. The transfer case has an o ring that likes to leak gear oil, but that is a small nuisance if you don't mind crawling under the truck to top it off twice a year. Otherwise, it's a bitch of a repair. And check thoroughly for frame rust. That's the most likely life-ending injury for the truck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I browsed around at GX’s and didn’t see the cost to be any more desirable.
    Previous use or abuse is easy to hide.
    The latest one I looked at was flagged for frame rust but the dealer doesn’t want to talk about it.
    Not covered under the toyo frame recall I’m guessing?