Page 7 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks.

I'm kind of amazed that you can buy anything for a vehicle that actually does something for only $99, bargain. I know they're just two hunks of metal but still.

I'm just gonna leave the shocks on there and see how it goes, they're good heavy duty shocks and not worn out. I can always change them out later. Thanks for the help fellas.

Trucks.

Had to look to see what I had on my 2011 2500 -- an M+ S 265/70 r17, just barely bigger than allowed for using chains by Chevy, but the chains do clear the works just enough

Quote Originally Posted by benfjord View Post
    If I remember right the factory clutch might have been kinda crappy in the '06? Mine had been replaced by the first owner so I never had an issue, but I'd look into that.

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...ssion-problems
    Hmmm, I had heard a little about the clutch issues but based on that thread it was more widespread than I realized. Seems like they generally went before 50k though, so at 136k I'm guessing that this one has either been replaced already or may not be affected.

Is there any way to tell if a clutch has been replaced just by looking at the tranny while it's up on the lift?

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    Attachment 175335

'04 2500hd with 295/75/16's on 16x9 wheels. Torsion key leveling, about 1.5" lift, rubbed a little bit on the mud flaps under just the right conditions. Stock shocks, handled and drove fine considering the load that was on it, either two sleds or two quads.
    Nice truck.But ever think of helpers or another leaf in the back?

(not saying it needs it but that shit's heavy)
    Last edited by iceman; 01-21-2016 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Let's talk reliable used budget-friendly options from the early 2000's era.
    DTM I recommend a 05-06 Honda CRV awd with the 5 speed stick.
    Drives really nicely and does great in snow with studs. Wife think it's "zippy" and fun, has that famous buttery honda stick shift.
    In 2005 they improved the 4wd system and I believe it has better traction control than earlier models. Even has a built in picnic table in the back!
    You routinely see these going strong at 300K+ miles. Timing chain and it's a honda.
    We got a pretty nice 2005 last year, one owner, well-maintained with 105K on the clock for 10.5K and that was from a stealership, so you could do better. We're at 120K now and no issues whatsoever, hope to keep it a long time.
    That Xterra 6 speed sound like a good option though and it's a real 4wd.

I'm not really a fan of how the rear door opens sideways on those CRVs, especially when hitch bike racks are involved which is basically Mar-Nov. Plus, we have the "high clearance AWD station wagon" slot covered with our Rogue. I want this vehicle to be one that is more off-road capable.

At the risk of a thread jack, what should I be worried about with a 2000 F150 with the v8 and really low miles? Anyone know these trucks well enough to give advice?

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    At the risk of a thread jack, what should I be worried about with a 2000 F150 with the v8 and really low miles? Anyone know these trucks well enough to give advice?
    There was a recall on the cruise control, causing the steering wheel to catch fire. That got handled around 04 or 05. The 3-valve V-8's had some cylinder head issues, not sure if yours is one of those. Overall, that vintage was fairly bulletproof, it should last a long time.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I'm always wary of old cars with low miles.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

The V8's like to go though coil packs.

The exhaust manifolds also rust and can be a pain to replace.

Those are two issues my F-150 have had. It's an 01 with 280,000 km.

ICON makes really cool stuff.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Icon makes some of the most badass trucks around.

I also love most LC's coming out of Christo Slee's shop Slee Off-road. Super nice guy and arguably the best LC guy around.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post

QF Badassery
    watch out for snakes

^^^yeah but how much $$$ is that thing?

edit: answer: $179,000.00

I guess it's better than the $300,000 Dodge Truck

If you have to ask (your wife)...

Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Icon makes some of the most badass trucks around.

I also love most LC's coming out of Christo Slee's shop Slee Off-road. Super nice guy and arguably the best LC guy around.
    Awesome trucks.

Icon is like Singer. But for off road.

This guy a few blocks over who I swear is Gatsby picked up that exact Icon LC a year or so ago. Let me take an up close look at it. Really incredible. Nothing is skimped on.

I think Ice posted the Icon I was going to mention, that $300k Dodge Quad cab power wagon thing. Pretty cool big boy toy.
    I still call it The Jake.

Awesome trucks.

Icon is like Singer. But for off road.
    Agree, like Singer. I have mixed feelings about both. It's sorta like some rich douche selecting a 25 yr old GF and forcing her to get plastic surgery such that she comes out looking like an enhanced, younger version of Sophia Loren .

For OP: THIS is what you need...

^haha surprised that hasn't been posted yet.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Agree, like Singer. I have mixed feelings about both. It's sorta like some rich douche selecting a 25 yr old GF and forcing her to get plastic surgery such that she comes out looking like an enhanced, younger version of Sophia Loren .
    This.

300k…

Yea, no thanks. I could make something way cooler, myself, for a fraction of that.

If I had the means, I would own a Singer.

The bigger douche drives an Aventador or F12.

I would have a hard time spending 100k+ on a off road vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Hmmm, I had heard a little about the clutch issues but based on that thread it was more widespread than I realized. Seems like they generally went before 50k though, so at 136k I'm guessing that this one has either been replaced already or may not be affected.

Is there any way to tell if a clutch has been replaced just by looking at the tranny while it's up on the lift?
    Best way to "guess"is to remove a couple bellhousing bolts, the ones that hold the tranny to engine, and look for signs of dirt/grease/otherwise imperfectly clean bolt threads indicating that they were removed.

I would have a hard time spending 100k+ on a off road vehicle.
    Unless Earthroamer

Sports mobile is more better.