Page 6 of 199 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks.

Go 235.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

wrong direction mang.

edit: 285 is the right size for that truck imo. it will just look square and beefy, not lifted and overbuilt

What is your rim, 16 I would imagine?

It's roughly a 33". But skinny and cuts. Would fit without a lift.

Right direction.

yeah 16

235 85 r16

But what do I know, I drive an '87 chevy 5/4 ton.

But my old Ford loved them.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    What is your rim, 16 I would imagine?

It's roughly a 33". But skinny and cuts. Would fit without a lift.

Right direction.
    hrm. Worth thinking about, def. better for snow. I'll kick that around.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    235 85 r16
    Yeah I misunderstood at first, now I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah I misunderstood at first, now I get it.
    In jeans. ;7)

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I'll just throw out that I have an 04 4Runner for sale once I get the CEL fixed ( hopefully just an 02sensor). 110k, $12500 mag deal. Less if someone wants to troubleshoot the CEL.
    Is it a V8?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Ice, unless you plan on doing a bunch of offroading, with the wheels articulating a bunch, you should be fine. The really big lifts have the potential of maxing out your shock, so they bottom out on the top end.

That is how I've always understood it. If you look on the OME website, they have a pretty good breakdown of what shock you need with what size lift. Might be nice to get new shocks though. They are relatively cheap, and really easy to change out.

So I want to put 285's on my '04 Silverado 2500 HD. The current 265's are shot and have always looked a notch small. Fitting 285's requires lifting the front end a little, I can buy the torsion keys from Rough Country for $99 and it's supposed to be an easy job. Do I have to buy new front shocks? I spent almost 5 whole minutes on another forum trying to figure this out and I got bored so help me out.
    You'll need new wheels for 285/75 tires on that truck, if you currently have the stock 16 X 6.5" wheels. Even 265/75 are too wide - they'll wear faster down the center, unless you run low pressure, which defeats the purpose of a 2500 truck.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

They're not the stock wheels, they're a little wider, I think 16 x 8 although I bought them 10 years ago so I'm not positive on that. I wonder if it says the dimension on the wheels somewhere? Maybe I can find the paperwork from when I bought them.

They're likely stickered or stamped on the inside of the wheel but one may have to be pulled off to find out. Sometimes the stamp is on the hub mating surface.

235 pizza cutters would kill it on snow assuming proper tire tread. You trade in some dry road cornering traction, however. But as pointed out the narrow tire will have less of an issue rubbing. Lots of opinions on pizza cutter vs wide tires out there.

So I want to put 285's on my '04 Silverado 2500 HD. The current 265's are shot and have always looked a notch small. Fitting 285's requires lifting the front end a little, I can buy the torsion keys from Rough Country for $99 and it's supposed to be an easy job. Do I have to buy new front shocks? I spent almost 5 whole minutes on another forum trying to figure this out and I got bored so help me out.
    I'll double check, but when I put new rubber on the Silverado last year, I put Michelin 285s with a slight lift in the front end.

Edit: 265 Michelin LTX.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

They're not the stock wheels, they're a little wider, I think 16 x 8 although I bought them 10 years ago so I'm not positive on that. I wonder if it says the dimension on the wheels somewhere? Maybe I can find the paperwork from when I bought them.
    16x8 will work fine on 265/75 or 285/75. 9" width would probably give a bit better tread wear, but that's less common, and I wouldn't go to the expense of changing wheels just for that. 10" width leaves the wheel a little too exposed to damage offroad, with a 285 section width tire.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I had an '03 2500 Duramax. I ran 285/75 R16s on the factory wheels. 10-ply load range. Without torsion keys I had to trim the corners of the air dam to avoid rubbing at full lock. Then I tore it off on a rut in some blast rock, and didn't have to worry about that anymore.

When I added the torsion keys, I also put blocks in the rear. I also had to replace the shocks at that time because they were toast(240km). No pics of it with the level and blocks.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

With both blocks and the level didn't it still end up ass-up? I'd like mine to end up flat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	175335

'04 2500hd with 295/75/16's on 16x9 wheels. Torsion key leveling, about 1.5" lift, rubbed a little bit on the mud flaps under just the right conditions. Stock shocks, handled and drove fine considering the load that was on it, either two sleds or two quads.

With both blocks and the level didn't it still end up ass-up? I'd like mine to end up flat.
    Level was about 2", and the blocks were only 1". I carried a dry box full of heavy shit, so it sat pretty much level.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

285s are perfect for those trucks, they will rub a bit at full lock (at least they did on the SAR truck I used to drive a lot). I run em on my f250 too and the handling difference vs 235s when its dry is noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayHarder View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo2.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	175335

'04 2500hd with 295/75/16's on 16x9 wheels. Torsion key leveling, about 1.5" lift, rubbed a little bit on the mud flaps under just the right conditions. Stock shocks, handled and drove fine considering the load that was on it, either two sleds or two quads.
    It's not the load you have to worry about with the shocks. It is the other direction. If the shock maxes out on the way up, the tire doesn't stay on the ground. That is why you need longer shocks with a big lift.

Do not fuck with the t-bars, unless you like replacing front end components.

285 should be fine on that truck unless you are off roading it, which it doesn't sound like you are. As stated you will have some rub at full lock but it is a non-issue. We've had 285 duratracs on the suburban for a couple years, they are good in snow.

Supposedly the torsion keys keep the stock suspension geometry and don't stress things but that's just what I read somewhere. I tried 285's on there when I bought the current 265's and they rubbed pretty bad. Even with the 265's I ended up taking a little bit of the air dam off with a sawzall, it's not really visible unless you look closely but it had a little lip on the back corner that was hitting so I just sliced it off.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    It's not the load you have to worry about with the shocks. It is the other direction. If the shock maxes out on the way up, the tire doesn't stay on the ground. That is why you need longer shocks with a big lift.
    Haha, don't think the $99 dollar leveling kit Ice is looking at qualifies as a big lift requiring extra shock.