Page 4 of 199 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Trucks.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Oops facked my conversion. Make that 12 miles to the gallon with a possible 14-15/gallon w the intake and chip. Fkn 20 would b sweet
    07 tundra crewmax work truck 5.7L. I beat the shit out of it and drive with a lead foot. 13.8-14.1 average throughout its history. 227k miles with no major problems. New battery every 50k as the electrical system cooks them. Water pump bearing. Starter. That's it other than brakes and tires. Oh and the piece of shit grocery getter tailgate fell apart.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Russian redknecks . The ball cap gave it away

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    4.2L V8 S4. Picked it up from the shop yesterday (mega ouch on the price of a new alternator but crossing fingers on timing chain) and it was reading 8.7 mpg. Mechanic must have Buellered it.
    Ha nice. Bet that thing's a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Not a truck, but built like one... I'm looking to get back into the FJ80 game. King of the SUVs.
    Love those things but the stock straight six is a dog and bad milage too. A friend is putting a corvette engine in his. Gonna be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Oops facked my conversion. Make that 12 miles to the gallon with a possible 14-15/gallon w the intake and chip. Fkn 20 would b sweet
    Was gonna say, my '06 Tundra with the 4.7 only got about 14 real world. Could squeeze out 18 on the highway under ideal conditions but that was rare. Never felt it had an overabundance of power either, would downshift like crazy on the highway on moderate grades or in headwinds. That was one size over stock tires.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I would dig an older flatbed..

k30

Nice
    watch out for snakes

I've always wanted Marty's truck.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

2011 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab. 95k miles. Absolutely love this thing to death and it is really a no compromises activity vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    2011 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab. 95k miles. Absolutely love this thing to death and it is really a no compromises activity vehicle.
    Bit of a chore to park though, huh? That's my only complaint about my land yacht. Otherwise I love the power, the interior space, cargo capacity, etc...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Bit of a chore to park though, huh? That's my only complaint about my land yacht. Otherwise I love the power, the interior space, cargo capacity, etc...
    Yes. It isn't a city car, and not a daily driver. Now that I live in Boston, it spends its time at my inlaws (mostly because I don't have a place to park it in the city). Ultimately, will likely go back to Colorado to reside in Carbondale or traded in for a Sprinter Van here.

The power, space, gas mileage (for a big truck like that) cannot be beat. We put a decked storage system in which has been great for organizing all of the outdoor activity gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    I've always wanted Marty's truck.

I owned that truck. Loved it and it was bomber. I think it's still on the road.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I owned that truck. Loved it and it was bomber. I think it's still on the road.
    X1000
    Loved my 85 22RE x-cab right to the day it no longer could reasonably be patched up to pass the DOT roadblocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    A face only a mother beluga would love.

Meh- it has some classic lines to it. Looks much better in person, I think.

Classic Belugas:

It isn't a city car, and not a daily driver. Now that I live in Boston, it spends its time at my inlaws
    Nope, no compromises at all.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Let's talk reliable used budget-friendly options from the early 2000's era.

The roof on my Taco ('97, 148k) is starting to rust, so my plan is to cash out the value I have left in it and make a lateral move into something else. Based on what they're going for used around here I should be able to sell it for $5-6k. A larger back seat than you find in an extended cab compact pickup is also going to become necessary as my son gets older (just turned 6). We bought the wife a new car last year and then incurred a bunch of medical debt, so I can't afford to finance a whole lot.

I'm looking to spend no more than $8k and hopefully keep it under 150k miles. Real real hi/low 4x4 preferred but not a must. Been looking at Xterras pretty hard, but apparently the MPG isn't much better than a lot of full-size trucks. The SMOD issue also means automatic trannies must be avoided at all costs in the '05-'10 model years, and the MTs are a lot less common. Thoughts? Am I remembering correctly that the early 2000's were kind of the low point for quality/reliability from Detroit?

Dan, too bad you didn't spot that Cruiser basinbeater just scored in your area, that looks like it was a kickass deal.

Towards the end of the summer I got lucky and found an 06 Durango SXT with ~170k for $4k. The body was pretty good considering it's a ten year old American truck, of course I have messed it up a bit and it runs great. It has some Chrysler quirks but nothing I can't work around considering what I paid, it has enough power to keep up with traffic (4.7 liter not the notoriously unreliable hemi) and get itself up a big hill without choking and the gas mileage isn't horrible considering it's AWD. I'd say don't count it out if you can find a good one just stay away from the ones with the 5.7 Hemi they like to self destruct.
    Last edited by gravitylover; 01-19-2016 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Been looking at Xterras pretty hard, but apparently the MPG isn't much better than a lot of full-size trucks. The SMOD issue also means automatic trannies must be avoided at all costs in the '05-'10 model years, and the MTs are a lot less common. Thoughts?
    Mrs. C. has a 2010 Xterra, automatic trans, about 85K miles; she's had it since about 30K miles. No problems. Interior is holding up OK, reminds me of 1990s-era Toyota -- feels cheap, but nothing breaks, it just keeps running. Wear items: rear hatch struts went bad early on, shocks got bouncy & I replaced with Bilstein.

On the radiator/trans fluid issue: Nissan provided an extended warranty on this issue, 100% covered until 80K miles, then prorated for awhile afterwards. Based on what I read on various Nissan forums, I bypassed the radiator's built-in transmission cooler at ~ 80K miles, in order to avoid any problem with coolant mixing into the transmission. All of the automatic Xterras have both an internal transmission cooler (inside the radiator) and an external transmission cooler (separate unit). Arguably, the built-in-the-radiator transmission cooler should also assist in bringing the transmission fluid up to proper temp during cold weather -- but so far this winter, we have not noticed any negative effects of bypassing the built-in cooler.

Alternatively, replacement radiators are only $150 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I cant believe the mileage some of you guys are getting. My new midsize SUV with a piddly V6 is getting worse mileage than your work horses.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Ha nice. Bet that thing's a hoot.

When its on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

Classic Belugas:

Been having trouble with it? Looks sharp as hell still.

I cant believe the mileage some of you guys are getting. My new midsize SUV with a piddly V6 is getting worse mileage than your work horses.
    I glanced over that, I'm getting 14 around town and 17-20 highway depending on back road at ~55 or interstate at ~70.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Been having trouble with it? Looks sharp as hell still.
    I'm bitching but its been great. First failure outside of normal brakes, oil and tires. Alternator went out and I guess they dont really make em anymore so my guy had to order some shit from germany and machine a part. 2500 bucks later. Final got it back and a coolant hose he attached failed, so on the lift it went again. Its more beat up than it appears. He had just washed it for me since it was in his shop the day before the pic. Waiting for timing chain to go as its at 72K now. That'll be fun, buts its been paid off for awhile and has been good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Nope, no compromises at all.
    Ha! That is more of a product of living in the city than anything else. It still gets its love on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Let's talk reliable used budget-friendly options from the early 2000's era.

The roof on my Taco ('97, 148k) is starting to rust, so my plan is to cash out the value I have left in it and make a lateral move into something else. Based on what they're going for used around here I should be able to sell it for $5-6k. A larger back seat than you find in an extended cab compact pickup is also going to become necessary as my son gets older (just turned 6). We bought the wife a new car last year and then incurred a bunch of medical debt, so I can't afford to finance a whole lot.

I'm looking to spend no more than $8k and hopefully keep it under 150k miles. Real real hi/low 4x4 preferred but not a must. Been looking at Xterras pretty hard, but apparently the MPG isn't much better than a lot of full-size trucks. The SMOD issue also means automatic trannies must be avoided at all costs in the '05-'10 model years, and the MTs are a lot less common. Thoughts? Am I remembering correctly that the early 2000's were kind of the low point for quality/reliability from Detroit?
    Dollar for Dollar the best vehicle I ever owned was a 96 T100. They are basically the same size as the new Tacomas and probably the only Toyota you can get for less than $8k with <150k. Bigger extra cab that a tacoma.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    probably the only Toyota you can get for less than $8k with <150k.
    Yeah, that's why I'm looking at Nissans and domestics. It's crazy what Tacos/4Runners with >200k sell for around here.