Page 162 of 199 FirstFirst ... 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

I owned a CJ7 for many years. Loved that thing. Really learned a lot about working on vehicles from that thing.

The only car that I would avoid more than a JGC would be a Bronco, either model. Look at the list of recalls just up to this point. The fucking windshields are DETACHING, the engines are blowing up, the brakes, the suspension, the control arms, etc etc. WTF?!?! How big of a piece of shit does a vehicle have to be before people stop buying it? Ooooh, but it has lockers! Neat! This thing is a fucking PT Cruiser with bigger tires. hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    But in the offroad world, the only car that is better in terms of reliability is the 4Runner, which drives substantially worse both on and off road (it's still a very good off road car, to be fair, just not nearly as good as a Trailhawk Wrangler or GC.) All the others: Range Rover, Land Rover Disco, Bronco, Land Cruiser, MB G Class - they are all substantially worse for reliability.

I did some homework before purchase...
    This may be the only time I've ever seen a Jeep referred to as more reliable than a Land Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    However when Toyota does update the 4run and GX the engines will get smaller and the 4x4 systems will be neutered.
    Dealers are still charging over sticker for 4Runners, especially the TRD Off-road and Pro variants with locking rear diffs, because they are high-demand. The new Tundra got a rear locking diff that didn't exist on previous gens. On what are you basing smaller engines and neutered 4x4 systems?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    This may be the only time I've ever seen a Jeep referred to as more reliable than a Land Cruiser.
    That's GOTTA be a typo - perhaps he meant Land Rover?

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The Bronco Sport is front wheel drive based, transverse engine, isn't it? Just like the Maverick and Escape?
    Yes, but a different center diff than the Escape. (I have no idea whats in the Maverick.

I’m not trying to claim you can go rock crawling in a Bronco Sport, just that it is not the same drivetrain as an Escape.

Edit: I’m using the term “center diff” somewhat loosely here, because it’s not really in the center.

Another edit: if I were driving in snow I would rather be in a Bronco Sport than an Escape. That’s the point I am trying to make.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

AFAIK none of those variants have a true transfer case. I'm having difficulty picturing a center differential in any FWD based crossover.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

AFAIK none of those variants have a true transfer case. I'm having difficulty picturing a center differential in any FWD based crossover.
    How do you think power gets to the back wheels ?

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    On what are you basing smaller engines and neutered 4x4 systems?
    All vehicles recently. A recent example is the Toyota Tundra and Sequoia. They went from a naturally aspirated 5.7L V8 to a turbo 3.5L V6. I’m all for smaller turbo engines on daily drivers, but not on a truck/SUV used for towing/hauling. And the Sequoia lost its mechanical center diff (Torsen). The reliable v8 and “full time” mechanical four wheel are the reasons I bought a Sequoia a few years ago.

It’s only a matter time before the “downsizers” come for the beloved 4Runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I

The only car that I would avoid more than a JGC would be a Bronco, either model. Look at the list of recalls just up to this point. The fucking windshields are DETACHING, the engines are blowing up, the brakes, the suspension, the control arms, etc etc. WTF?!?! How big of a piece of shit does a vehicle have to be before people stop buying it? Ooooh, but it has lockers! Neat! This thing is a fucking PT Cruiser with bigger tires. hahaha.
    If you are going to buy a vehicle in its first year of production you better go in eyes wide open. With that said, I’ve had no issues with mine in the 10,000 miles I’ve had it. If it was my only vehicle or if I had 25 mile commute instead of 3 it might be a different story, but no complaints from me. And if you need an off road capable vehicle that you take the top off of, you are pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    How do you think power gets to the back wheels ?

Driveshaft out of the FWD transaxle, computer controlled viscous coupling. No transfer case. No mechanical 50/50 lock front/rear.

This is all fine for the AWD inclement weather usage they are all intended for.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Actually that's kinda correct. I actually didn't want to have Land Cruiser on the list at all, either bad or good, since it's no longer being sold in North America. Shouldn't be on either the good or bad list. Meant to have it say land rover, typed it wrong twice by mistake, and only fixed one of them.

Blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's GOTTA be a typo - perhaps he meant Land Rover?

Trucks.

Can one mod a MDX with all terrain tires and suspension and get a reliable, off road machine?

All vehicles recently. A recent example is the Toyota Tundra and Sequoia. They went from a naturally aspirated 5.7L V8 to a turbo 3.5L V6. I’m all for smaller turbo engines on daily drivers, but not on a truck/SUV used for towing/hauling. And the Sequoia lost its mechanical center diff (Torsen). The reliable v8 and “full time” mechanical four wheel are the reasons I bought a Sequoia a few years ago.

Toyota is following the market. The market for Sequoia and Tundra is a daily driver. If you tow/haul every day get a 1 ton.

What no diesel? Pretty sure the smaller motors are going to do the job just fine.

I didn’t pay too much attention to bronco sport reviews but I recall a competent site that said the badlands version really reset his prejudices & was best in this category when it came to off-road.

Quick Google lead to this , pretty legit for this unibody CUV category

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Trucks.

Driveshaft out of the FWD transaxle, computer controlled viscous coupling.
    This is not correct on the Bronco Sport Badlands. It uses a dual-clutch , not a viscous coupling.

That’s my whole point. Far superior to any of its competitors.

No transfer case.
    Yeah, OK. :rollseyes:

No mechanical 50/50 lock front/rear.
    By this definition, almost zero full size 4x4 pickup trucks sold in North America have transfer cases. Anything with a 4A setting uses dual-clutch, not mechanical lock. And just about all pickups sold today, other than stripped down base models, have the 4A setting.

This is all fine for the AWD inclement weather usage they are all intended for.
    Agree. But I’m standing by my statement that the Bronco Sport is far better than it’s competitors in these conditions. The statement that started this was that the Bronco Sport was the exact same as the Escape, and that is just not true.

Note: I’m no Bronco fanboy. Ford has been fucking me over on my reservation for a full size Bronco for over 2 years now. And they are telling me it may be another year until I get mine. But I’ve had time to study up on Broncos during those 2 years, and I’m really impressed with the Bronco Sport.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Dude, they didn't even glue the windshields in right. The motors are exploding. The brakes and suspension are all fucked up. If I was on a wait list for one of these I'd take my money and run and count my blessings that I didn't end up with one. How the fuck are you still waiting for one of these pieces of shit? You "Studied up"? WTF? Study up on all the ways that they fucked up the production.

Who gives a damn about the off road performance of a Bronco Sport? No way would I trust that thing off road.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220801_181356-01.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	422892
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Dude, they didn't even glue the windshields in right. The motors are exploding. The brakes and suspension are all fucked up. If I was on a wait list for one of these I'd take my money and run and count my blessings that I didn't end up with one. How the fuck are you still waiting for one of these pieces of shit? You "Studied up"? WTF? Study up on all the ways that they fucked up the production.

Who gives a damn about the off road performance of a Bronco Sport? No way would I trust that thing off road.
    What do you trust? Toyota. Period?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What do you trust? Toyota. Period?
    I mean, yeah, pretty much. Like I said before, I'd buy a jeep if it was just for fun and I had money to throw at it.

Look, everything sucks. Not a great time to buy either. I've been shopping for vans and trucks all year. Really trying to hold off a few years till the Hybrid stuff works it's way into this segment of the industry a little more.

I keep coming back to the fact that everything is a compromise, because every single vehicle has downsides. But I'm big on reliability. I don't care much about power, or MPGs, or bells and whistles. So yeah, Toyota. Maybe Nissan, Honda, Acura, etc if I wasn't shopping for a full sized truck.

OTOH, I am still leaning towards just biting the bullet and getting a Chevy Silverado for a work truck. But god damn that's a tough thing to do.

Trucks.

I mean, yeah, pretty much. Like I said before, I'd buy a jeep if it was just for fun and I had money to throw at it.

Look, everything sucks. Not a great time to buy either. I've been shopping for vans and trucks all year. Really trying to hold off a few years till the Hybrid stuff works it's way into this segment of the industry a little more.

I keep coming back to the fact that everything is a compromise, because every single vehicle has downsides. But I'm big on reliability. I don't care much about power, or MPGs, or bells and whistles. So yeah, Toyota. Maybe Nissan, Honda, Acura, etc if I wasn't shopping for a full sized truck.

OTOH, I am still leaning towards just biting the bullet and getting a Chevy Silverado for a work truck. But god damn that's a tough thing to do.
    Toyota Tundra before Silverado. You know what’s right. For now and resale.

I bet every brand is building their trucks with zip ties and duct tape these days. Instead of a ECU they just hand you an Iphone 4s

The question was about the next gen 4Runner and GX and anything about them is speculation at this point. The new Sequoia has a part-time 4WD system with optional rear locker. It's a more traditional design than the previous gen. Neophobes should love it.

It sounds like the bugs may be worked out by the time Harry gets his.

Who’s talking about off-roading in a Bronco Sport ? I’m talking about driving in inclement weather.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums