Page 125 of 199 FirstFirst ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,125 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I wanted a Sienna AWD but the wife unit preferred the Odyssey. Great vehicle but it blows goats in the snow.
    Holy shit. I have a totally different experience with an Odyssey and snows. ^^

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I thought there was an awd hybrid sienna that no longer allows for a plywood sheet…?
    Hybrid but not plug in hybrid. For us plug in would mean we barely use gas other than ski trips. Work commute is 20 miles each way.

BC13, I’m sure the Odyssey is fine with winter tires but the pass requires awd or you have to put chains on. Fuck putting chains on.

Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Hybrid but not plug in hybrid. For us plug in would mean we barely use gas other than ski trips. Work commute is 20 miles each way.

BC13, I’m sure the Odyssey is fine with winter tires but the pass requires awd or you have to put chains on. Fuck putting chains on.
    Sry. I missed “plug in” in your post.

Living on the edge: Odyssey options could be those quick chain things where you have the attachment on the hubs and/or awd decal. The decal works on my sienna and it worked on my old Nissan Altima (the Altima was a blast with snow tires and the sienna is well behaved). I never got questioned by caltrans with those two vehicles. My matrix, which is actually awd, I get questioned all the time at caltrans chain control.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 10-04-2021 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Holy shit. I have a totally different experience with an Odyssey and snows. ^^

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Never run it with snows. With the factory all weather tires, the traction control made it hard to even get moving. It just sort of shut itself down. I just take the truck if there’s snow now.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Never run it with snows.
    Well there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Well there ya go.
    Honestly, never needed them around here. They were useful for trips up and down LCC and to quickly avoid disaster on I15 but are kind of a waste here. I’ve had plenty of FWD vehicles that did fine in the snow. Never driven a vehicle that just wouldn’t move. No wheel spin, no drama, just beeps and blurgh.

Honestly, never needed them around here. They were useful for trips up and down LCC and to quickly avoid disaster on I15 but are kind of a waste here. I’ve had plenty of FWD vehicles that did fine in the snow. Never driven a vehicle that just wouldn’t move. No wheel spin, no drama, just beeps and blurgh.
    Dunno about yours, but mine has a TCS button that turns that traction control nonsense off. But yeah - they suck in the snow with crappy tires.

It does turn off and that helps, and maybe it was some specific set of circumstances, but after barely making it out of the parking lot at the ski hill a few times, I quit trying and drove the truck instead. The traction control is actually pretty effective if it can get traction. I’m sure it would be solid with snows.

The review embargo for the Maverick lifted today. Sounds great to me as an all around utility vehicle. I just hope that they eventually do an AWD version of the hybrid. It wouldn't be great for skiing, but would seem to fit my other hobby needs well and the hybrid would make a great commuter. ~40mpg on a vehicle that can carry 1500lbs is pretty fantastic.

Historically in AWD vehicles I only turn off traction control to have fun in empty snowy parking lots, etc. Drifting, donuts, stupid fun shit for a few minutes.

If I'm really trying to travel through snow electronic traction control with AWD has always been my friend.

Traction control is useless when trying to get an already stuck vehicle unstuck, IME.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Traction control is useless when trying to get an already stuck vehicle unstuck, IME.
    Bingo. When I worked in the event industry pre covid, I'd spend countless hours at events with a skid loader pulling out the vehicles in our mudpit parking areas that couldn't turn off TC.

Won't disagree with this. But do think with AWD it is helpful in not getting stuck in the first place.

FWIW, no truck experience. All of my SUVs (Highlanders and the Grand Cherokee) have had 4wd options.
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 10-05-2021 at 05:51 PM.

I'd say it's substantially worse than that.

I also think there should be some sort of standardized process for disabling all nannies for the purpose of getting unstuck, since the odds of the stuck vehicle's owner knowing how to do so is slim, or they'd have been less likely to need help.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I'd say it's substantially worse than that.

I also think there should be some sort of standardized process for disabling all nannies for the purpose of getting unstuck, since the odds of the stuck vehicle's owner knowing how to do so is slim, or they'd have been less likely to need help.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Agreed. My f150 makes it quite simple- put 'er in 4low and it turns TC off. Well, I think it keeps some kind of stability control active, but it'll spin 2 tires (or 3 with the locker) at will.

#vanginalife. This is a "truck" pickup thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    #vanginalife. This is a "truck" pickup thread.
    FWIW, vaginas are tough as fuck. Those things pass huge baby heads through them and then still squeeze us well enough to get er done.

/mtngrlrant.

Minivan life is questionable, go for it. But I'm tired of vag/pussy meaning weak. Doesn't make sense.

Agreed. I have a buddy who is a door window rep and puts tens of thousands of miles a year in a minivan with samples and loves it. He gets a choice of company vehicle and he always picks the AWD minivan. He calls it the Vangina because his van crushes it. Now our circle of friends calls them all vanginas. We're probably judged a lot but we try not to hang out with people that would care or make assumptions.

Your interpretation of gina as weak is yours.

It's still a truck thread.

P.S. Pussy is about the only thing with an undefeated record.

Has the Ford Maverick been discussed in this thread?
    I really like this guy’s writing style.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-ford-m...l-o-1847802688
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Has the Ford Maverick been discussed in this thread?
    I really like this guy’s writing style.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-ford-m...l-o-1847802688
    I like it. It's like a cheaper, slightly smaller Ridgeline, which as we learned above is really what most people who think they need trucks should get instead. Look, you can even carry your beloved plywood!

Our next vehicle will be a minivan, though, and I'll keep driving my 1990 Toyota pickup until it dies, which will probably be never.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46de4a6b0af6c514d47bd6fbce3eeb74.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	388069
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The Maverick is on the short list for my wife's next vehicle in 3-5 years. Good mileage, a bed for bikes and smelly stuff, and a reasonable price. Ticks all the boxes for a DD. We will probably still have a full size truck for truck stuff and camper hauling though. I work from home so the full size mostly sits except for actual truck things

That guy had a point until he started talking about guns and Trump.

Same market.

I agree, but it's broader than that. White collar liberals drive shiny pickups too. So do moms of all political leanings.

And he didn't even touch on the chicken or egg angle. Do consumers really want pickups, or is it just the logical conclusion of the road warrior arms race, or is it that the big three don't make any other vehicles that aren't completely shit?

Nor did he mention the tax breaks that helped fuel the 'work truck that does no work' phenomenon. (quelle surprise)