Page 103 of 199 FirstFirst ... 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 4970

Thread: Trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Through all this, it sounds like you just wanna burn some cash, get a Taco and be a Toyota fanboy now. NTTAWWT.
    Is that what it sounds like to you? You seem very intuitive. Did a Toyota touch you inappropriately?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is that what it sounds like to you? You seem very intuitive. Did a Toyota touch you inappropriately?
    LOL, yes, that is what it sounds like. But i drive a 2005 Tundra which costs me very little to run and can't fathom the cash burn that comes with buying any sort of new (or used, for that matter!) truck right now. No offense intended, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I honestly prefer a trailer over truck bed in most situations. Yeah, finding a place to put a trailer can be a PITA and it's one more thing to keep up with but the lower load height and lack of concern for scratches and dents is nice.
    Trailers are great because they are easy to loan out and share with friends. Also, can load (overload) them up real good.

It's easy to find fanboys gushing about how great they look on insta- err... I mean how great the are, but I'll point out a few negs...

As mentioned, many people don't find the seats comfortable for longs drives. There are even mods/products out there to change the seating position. The same people similarly complain about the steering wheel not getting into the right place, and the roof being too low (and both top of door opening and top of windshield being too low).

The transmissions. The auto loves to shift - to the point that it can be annoying. People describe it as hunting for gears, but what it's really doing is keeping the rpm as low as possible for fuel economy. Final drive is higher as well (2.27 vs 3.05)

The 6 MT has a lower diff and 1st is lower (total 17.1 vs 14.1).

There's a known issue with the 3rd gear synchro. A lot of people on forums will say it's poor technique, but that's fan fiction. Also, the clutch pedal is unnecessarily heavy.

Just like mtb, Toyota can't seem to pick a wheel size to be a dick about, so think about how you're going to use it/what the best tires would be/price and availability in that size. Once you drive off the lot, that equation can get a lot more expensive.

Test drive it on the freeway. It's loud. The double cab is quieter than the access. Quieter still when someone is sitting back there, because the noise is coming through the poorly located vents on the back or the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    LOL, yes, that is what it sounds like. But i drive a 2005 Tundra which costs me very little to run and can't fathom the cash burn that comes with buying any sort of new (or used, for that matter!) truck right now. No offense intended, of course.
    I was able to negotiate 2% off MSRP, plus the $500 cash back from Toyota. I have to assume that’s more than what I would’ve paid a year ago for the same vehicle. But.....dealer in Poky offered me $3000 more for my trade than numbers I was getting a year ago when I was kicking tires. Again, I’m assuming that $3000 extra is more than I could’ve bargained off MSRP a year ago.

You’re able to fathom how you can leverage the high car prices in your favor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

You’re able to fathom how you can leverage the high car prices in your favor, right?
    indeed, last week i checked used car prices on my 2005 Tundra and it's worth (private retail) what i paid for it 50k miles and 6.5 years ago. Amazing.

Enjoy the Taco bro!
    Last edited by jmedslc; 05-23-2021 at 04:26 PM. Reason: edit to add 6.5 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    For levity and to make ALL of you feel better, our new Land Cruiser got 6 mpg towing our offroad camper 200 miles. Yes, you read that correctly....6 mpg.

Granted, crazy stout headwind on an interstate and then windy, steep FS roads for 30 miles, but still....6 mpg.
    115 miles this weekend making dump runs with that trailer posted upthread with the 4.7L cruiser. So about 55 miles loaded and 55 empty. Windy and steep pavement with a short stint on the highway. 8 mpg.

What did I learn recently from this thread? Nothing. Fanboys gonna fanboy. Everybody thinks what they have is the answer. Longbeds with toppers and lumberracks that you can sleep inside are doing it wrong. What I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    What did I learn recently from this thread? Nothing. Fanboys gonna fanboy. Everybody thinks what they have is the answer. Longbeds with toppers and lumberracks that you can sleep inside are doing it wrong. What I miss?
    Nobody likes to be wrong? It's worse than presidential voting.

I have an 8' bed with a cap. I'm like questioning my masculinity with these conflicting messages.
    Live Free or Die

Trucks 101:

1) If you don't haul anything bigger than bikes and suburban house stuff, buy any non truck vehicle that can tow a small trailer and just use it on the rare times you need to move big stuff.
    2) If you do 1) and actually drive on dirt roads tougher than Subaru level, buy a Tacoma/ Colorado/ Canyon/ Ranger.
    3) If you do 1) but drive on Subaru level roads, and want a nicer driving vehicle all around, buy a Ridgeline.
    4) If you tow something bigger (boat, bumper pull RV), buy a 1/2 ton, or a Suburban or Expedition.
    5) If you haul or tow something even bigger (camper, fifth wheel) than 4) buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.
    6) If you never haul or tow anything big and just like to drive around in gigantic vehicles, you're a douche. Buy a suitable compact car instead. Enjoy lower cost of purchase, maintenance, fuel, tires, and actually be able to park in normal parking spaces and garages.

Bonus 7) If you feel you fit in 2),4), or 5), but think lift or leveling kits are a good idea, you're really in 6). Making trucks less capable is douchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If toppers and lumberracks so you can sleep inside are doing it wrong, I don't want to be right

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usv.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	375474

(streetview blurs toyota, but not my dog's face. Great. Now I have to worry about someone stealing his identity)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    6) If you just like to drive around in gigantic vehicles, you could be a giant with back & neck issues from stupidly sized vehicles from the land of short people.
    i like to carry around big or wet/smelly things too, but just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i like to carry around big or wet/smelly things too, but just sayin
    Your mom?

(this thread needs a good argument or three...)
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Your mom?

(this thread needs a good argument or three...)
    they never like being told to get in the back
    so sometimes I just give er the thumb jerk movement & an eyebrow raise

everything is a compromise, you should know this if yer married
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've learned that this thread gives me serious truck buying anxiety. And I'm already a serial hand-wringer when it comes to any purchase that is 4 digits plus. Hell, I'd probably call and cancel the Tacoma order if I didn't think my wife would leave for for flip-flopping again.

Trucks 101:

1) If you don't haul anything bigger than bikes and suburban house stuff, buy any non truck vehicle that can tow a small trailer and just use it on the rare times you need to move big stuff.
    2) If you do 1) and actually drive on dirt roads tougher than Subaru level, buy a Tacoma/ Colorado/ Canyon/ Ranger.
    3) If you do 1) but drive on Subaru level roads, and want a nicer driving vehicle all around, buy a Ridgeline.
    4) If you tow something bigger (boat, bumper pull RV), buy a 1/2 ton, or a Suburban or Expedition.
    5) If you haul or tow something even bigger (camper, fifth wheel) than 4) buy a 3/4 or 1 ton.
    6) If you never haul or tow anything big and just like to drive around in gigantic vehicles, you're a douche. Buy a suitable compact car instead. Enjoy lower cost of purchase, maintenance, fuel, tires, and actually be able to park in normal parking spaces and garages.

Bonus 7) If you feel you fit in 2),4), or 5), but think lift or leveling kits are a good idea, you're really in 6). Making trucks less capable is douchy.
    ^^^^^^^for the win

What does the internet have to say about the 3.0L diesel in the gladiator? My jku is fairly gutless so I use the excursion to tow the utility trailer when I have to shuffle toys from one place to the next. Wondering if the diesel gladiator could replace them both.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

What lbs are you towing? Initially the diesel Gladiator was rated for 6500 lbs but shitty towing reviews like https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...st-review/amp/ may have been why google is now telling me the rating is only 4500 lbs.

:shrug:

I think google might be confusing the ratings. Gladiator should be 6500+ plus with automatic transmission, 4500 is the max if you opt for a manual transmission, which you can't even spec with the diesel.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think google might be confusing the ratings. Gladiator should be 6500+ plus with automatic transmission, 4500 is the max if you opt for a manual transmission, which you can't even spec with the diesel.
    Makes sense thx. So what’s the consensus on the poor towing real world performance I’ve heard more than once? Softish suspension even on non Rubicon version?

Have any of the diesels that have been offered in Jeeps had a solid reputation? The Liberty and Grand Cherokee ones were Italian engines by VM, and I think there was a Mercedes one briefly in the Grand also.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Makes sense thx. So what’s the consensus on the poor towing real world performance I’ve heard more than once? Softish suspension even on non Rubicon version?
    I'd be very concerned about braking with a vehicle that light.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I'd be very concerned about owning a Jeep.
    Fixed!