TR: Tahoe's Gem – Mount Tallac

Date: Sunday, January 10, 2015

Skiers: UCL, Enginerd & Mike

Photos: As Noted

Synopsis: While every day out in the mountains with friends is a day well spent, every once in a while a day will come across that literally just makes you stop, look around and deeply appreciate your surroundings. Sunday was one of those days for me.

The Tahoe Basin is unsurpassed in natural beauty in both Summer and Winter, and from a skiing perspective it offers an amazing abundance of every type of terrain that one could desire. I had not skied Mount Tallac in several years, as the approach in the past low slow years is comprised mostly Type II Fun wading through Manzanita brush. With an "average" snowpack finally on us, I was looking forward to getting out for a day on Mount Tallac.

The day started out like any other, skinning up through a Winter wonderland, pondering whether the cloud cover would actually burn off the Sierra Crest as was forecasted. Photo: Enginerd

As we worked up the typical approach, the clouds began to part ways and offer a glimpse of what potentially was to come. Photo: UCL

Working our way up the skin track, we evaluated stability and wondered at the unconsolidated, winter snow remaining in the trees covered with a glistening surface hoar reflecting the light. While our minds were focused on trying to find similar weak layers buried in the snow, what lay above offered a surreal picture. Ultimately feeling comfortable with stability, we dropped in through the trees, beginning what would end up an unbelievable day. Photo: UCL

The snow was light, unconsolidated and skiing extremely well. Cold temperatures in Tahoe this season have really offered unbelievable skiing – "Cold Smoke" as they say in Montana. Photos: Enginerd

The summit proper had continued to remain hidden behind a veil of clouds, offering us debate about whether to take another 2,000ft run through the Northeastern Trees, or head up with the hope that the North Bowl would break through the clouds. Photo: Enginerd

As the clouds depart, our spirits continue to rise. Photo: UCL

We continue to head up to the Summit, eagerly anticipating a look further into Desolation Wilderness for future trips to come. Photo: Enginerd

The Alpine Equation that adds up every time…. Wind + Snow = Rime. Photo: Enginerd

The views en route to the summit of Mount Tallac are arguably the best in the Tahoe Basin. I, for one, would agree. Photo: UCL

UCL pondering the conditions we would find up at the entrance to the North Bowl. Photo: Mike

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy: "When you ponder too much and take in the view, fall you shall for Mike to view." Photo: Mike

After a good laugh, we headed around up towards the summit after about 5 minutes at pondering at the expansive scope of Desolation Wilderness and plotting future trips. Photos: Mike

Although the entrance remains a bit thin, the main North Bowl offered some great turns before heading back down into the trees. Photo: UCL

In each day, I find there is a turning point – more specifically, the time when a good day becomes great. Perhaps this is just hindsight, when you focus on the more recent events. However, our last run was truly special and I would easily put it as my best single run of the entire season thus far. As I worked down, I thought about my wife, pregnant with twins, and how one day I can't wait to share experiences like this with them in the mountains. Really, just an incredible day. Photos: UCL

Moving down through the terrain, Lake views always in the forefront. Photo: Enginerd

Wide open spaces, broad turns in deep snow. Photos: UCL

Mike clearly enjoying the day, recognizing it as having past the tipping point into "Great". Photo: Enginerd

Importantly, despite my grimace, I am feeling pure joy inside. (I don't know why I do that…. But THAT is definitely my "Pow Face" ☺). Photo: Enginerd

Mount Tallac – The Gem of Tahoe!

Well done! Thx for sharing!

Tahoe's still got it!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

You're killing it this year. Never done Tallac...

good stuff

Awesome! Can't wait to get out there. I do miss Montucky "cold smoke"

Boom!!!!

and congrats!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Sick. Thanks.

Classic TR... Pay attention, rookies!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

fantastic...thanks!
    Corner store junkies giving advice

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Classic TR... Pay attention, rookies!
    Seriously! Awesome TR (except for that Mike guy) and sick pics.

ETA: pregnant with twins! Damn son, congrats. Get those Tallac days in while it's easy! I've got twin 3 year olds skiing already - happy to share beta on the longest and most schwack-filled and glory-topped expedition of your life.

It's back baby.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Yeesssss.

Thanks. I remember that view

Schwing!

doughboyshredder Guest
    Good stuff and congrats on the pregnancy. Success!