Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast
    I got back in the baking game Wednesday after a couple of weeks off. I've been cheating because a really good local bakery is now supplying the local Whole Foods. Good loaf. Just had a ham sammie with a homegrown orange tomato and some white cheddar.

Good loaf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bread july 2020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	335916

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I got back in the baking game Wednesday after a couple of weeks off. I've been cheating because a really good local bakery is now supplying the local Whole Foods. Good loaf. Just had a ham sammie with a homegrown orange tomato and some white cheddar.

Good loaf.

Name:	bread july 2020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	335916
    I'd been known to do that in the hotter months. That place you, Ann and I ate at made a nice SD loaf. Unfortunately they went out of business.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I'd been known to do that in the hotter months. That place you, Ann and I ate at made a nice SD loaf. Unfortunately they went out of business.
    Too bad. I’ve seen some beloveds Covid killed locally too. Shame.

My italian next door neighbor eats this for breakfast 7 days a week. He eats the whole pan including about 6ozs of olive oil. Dips a giant loaf of bread in it to sop up all the oil.

Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Olive oil
    Eggs
    Salt
    Pepper

How they guy has made it past 80 amazes me.

Omg how did I not see this? Sourdough is always happening at my house!!! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2264.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	336177

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    My italian next door neighbor eats this for breakfast 7 days a week. He eats the whole pan including about 6ozs of olive oil. Dips a giant loaf of bread in it to sop up all the oil.

Tomatoes
    Jalapenos
    Olive oil
    Eggs
    Salt
    Pepper

How they guy has made it past 80 amazes me.
    I don't know how the guy made it past 80 either, but I'm going to give that breakfast a try.

Name:	34AA6B6F-70A2-4472-A781-FBF3CFB117BC.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	878.2 KB 
ID:	336221
    watch out for snakes

There isn't anywhere close to 6 ounces of olive oil in that pan unless those are ostrich eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    There isn't anywhere close to 6 ounces of olive oil in that pan unless those are ostrich eggs.
    i think the olive oil is on the side, like they do in some italian joints.

Back in the groove with my tried and true recipe. Also been digging some semi local flour that our supermarket carries. Smells so good and fresh. Tastes divine.

Name:	IMG_20200811_154451.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	336951

Getting better at shaping up, and using way less flour. Seems to make a more consistent loaf.

Had to go to Sacramento today (113F on the freeway, I did not spend the night) and stopped by my favorite lunch place, Juno's, for a Bahn Mi sandwich. Mark the owner makes his own fantastic whole wheat sourdough. I mentioned I was trying to learn to bake SD and they gave me some starter. Cool place. Anxious to see how it compares to the starter I have. After it cools down enough to bake bread. In the meantime I think I'll put a brisket in the smoker, put the smoker in the sun, and not bother to light the thing. Meat should be cooked in about 8 hours I figure.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Had to go to Sacramento today (113F on the freeway, I did not spend the night) and stopped by my favorite lunch place, Juno's, for a Bahn Mi sandwich. Mark the owner makes his own fantastic whole wheat sourdough. I mentioned I was trying to learn to bake SD and they gave me some starter. Cool place. Anxious to see how it compares to the starter I have. After it cools down enough to bake bread. In the meantime I think I'll put a brisket in the smoker, put the smoker in the sun, and not bother to light the thing. Meat should be cooked in about 8 hours I figure.
    Juno’s pastrami....now I’m hungry
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Juno’s pastrami....now I’m hungry
    They had to make the bahn mi out of chicken, out of pork. Still good. But you could put a sponge in Juno's bread and have a good sandwich.

Just in time for Fall!

Sourdough Pumpkin Spice Bread
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

The temps have cooled so it's bread baking day! So excited to have some good bread again.

During the heat wave I had no energy or desire to bake so I picked up a loaf of "San Francison Sour Dough" at a local bread company DT. Ugh. I don't usually buy bread from this bakery so I'm not sure if they just overproofed it or if that was they way they make it but it was all air and no substance. The chew was more like a French bread than Sourdough and I had to cut the slices 2+ inches thick just to get any bread. Had holes the size of ping pong balls.

Really looking forward to my more rustic loaf.

I also baked a loaf of bread for the first time in roughly a month now that things have gotten back to more reasonable temps.

I had some spelt and rye in the pantry so I just winged it and threw this together. It's 55% AP Flour, 15% Rye Flour, and 30% spelt. I also put in a little Wheat Germ. It's not too bad. A little denser than the real airy loaves that you get with higher percentages of AP flour. The Spelt and Rye give it a bit of a sour funk that's not unpleasant. I also used a somewhat over-ripe starter so that could have contributed to it. Overall I'm happy with it but I think I'll do something different with the next loaf. It was also probably a little under proofed, given how it cracked weird, or maybe I just needed to score it more to give it room to expand.

Name:	IMG_20200826_074512388.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	338278

Name:	IMG_20200826_074559235.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	338280

The temps have cooled so it's bread baking day! So excited to have some good bread again.

During the heat wave I had no energy or desire to bake so I picked up a loaf of "San Francison Sour Dough" at a local bread company DT. Ugh. I don't usually buy bread from this bakery so I'm not sure if they just overproofed it or if that was they way they make it but it was all air and no substance. The chew was more like a French bread than Sourdough and I had to cut the slices 2+ inches thick just to get any bread. Had holes the size of ping pong balls.

Really looking forward to my more rustic loaf.
    I hate it when whatever sauce I put on my sandwich winds up in my lap.

Name:	IMG_3638.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	599.0 KB 
ID:	338357
    This heat had me making bread at night but I got this one baked this morning and now I'm waiting for it to finish steaming a bit... I hate waiting for it though.

and, yeah, I don't understand when bread has holes the size of ping pong balls - I want to eat bread not air...

and another thing - Sourdough Pancakes/Waffles! Yum!

Classic Sourdough Waffles or Pancakes

YIELD
    1 dozen 8" waffles or about 2 dozen medium pancakes

Overnight Sponge

2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 cup sourdough starter, unfed

Waffle or pancake batter

all of the overnight sponge
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda

Directions

To make the overnight sponge, stir down your refrigerated starter, and remove 1 cup.
    In a large mixing bowl, stir together the 1 cup starter, flour, sugar, and buttermilk.
    Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight.

In a small bowl or mixing cup, beat together the eggs, and oil or butter. Add to the overnight sponge.
    Add the salt and baking soda, stirring to combine. The batter will bubble.

Pour batter onto your preheated, greased waffle iron, and bake according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    Serve waffles immediately, to ensure crispness. Or hold in a warm oven till ready to serve.

Name:	IMG_3673.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	338375

Name:	IMG_3691.JPG 
Size:	660.1 KB 
ID:	338376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	338377

OKAY - KQ this waffle recipe is solid.
    I didn't have buttermilk so I used regular whole milk, but they came out delicious.
    Topped it with some strawberry yogurt.
    Thanks for sharing! This is the best sourdough waffle recipe I've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhyturn View Post

Name:	IMG_3673.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	338375

Name:	IMG_3691.JPG 
Size:	660.1 KB 
ID:	338376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3693.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	338377

OKAY - KQ this waffle recipe is solid.
    I didn't have buttermilk so I used regular whole milk, but they came out delicious.
    Topped it with some strawberry yogurt.
    Thanks for sharing! This is the best sourdough waffle recipe I've ever had.
    Wow - those are pretty! Did I mention you can easily halve the recipe and that they freeze nicely?

Wow - those are pretty! Did I mention you can easily halve the recipe and that they freeze nicely?
    These will be perfect to freeze cuz there's no way I can eat that many waffles! 🤣🤣🤣
    Do you just reheat them in the toaster?
    (Again: they're sooooo yummy!)

I microwave on low power to thaw/heat, then finish up in the toaster to get 'em crispy

Quote Originally Posted by mrswhyturn View Post
    These will be perfect to freeze cuz there's no way I can eat that many waffles! ������
    Do you just reheat them in the toaster?
    (Again: they're sooooo yummy!)
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I microwave on low power to thaw/heat, then finish up in the toaster to get 'em crispy
    I warm them in the oven at 250° until they are how I want them - sorry, I never time it, just throw them in then make my coffee.

For freezing I cool them on racks, place parcement between them and seal them in a zip lock. Someone here said they freeze them in a single layer then put them in ziplocks. All depends on what you've got around the kitchen and how much space you have in your freezer but both methods work well.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Oh that sounds perfect!

Bread Baking (sourdough)

I warm them in the oven at 250° until they are how I want them - sorry, I never time it, just throw them in then make my coffee.

For freezing I cool them on racks, place parcement between them and seal them in a zip lock. Someone here said they freeze them in a single layer then put them in ziplocks. All depends on what you've got around the kitchen and how much space you have in your freezer but both methods work well.
    Good point about the parchment /or freeze separately before bagging. I do that when I freeze fruit from the garden so it doesn't turn into a giant block... forgot I would need to do that for these so thank you!