Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Oh kewl, you just gave me something else to use my Lodge pot for besides chickin.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Something to think about if your starter isn’t working: your water. If your tap water is chlorinated it could be killing or inhibiting the yeastie beasties and bacteria you’re trying to encourage. I suggested this to my friend who’s starter was flat. She tried distilled water and it seemed to do the trick. You can also just let the tap water sit in a jar and gas off for a day. I know brewers who do this. I use the already boiled water in my tea kettle.

Happy baking!
    well shit, I wonder if this is my issue. gonna test!

thx

May have mentioned it before but in brewing we use yeast nutrients quite often. Any home brew store would have it, I get it off Amazon sometimes.

It should be of benefit to sourdough as well.

Bought my SO a Kitchenaid (600 pro) for xmas since she's been really getting into cookies and I want to support the habit.

Then it clicked, I can make my own bread. And I fucking love bread. First two attempts, neither of which needed the new mixer.

Time to read this whole thread and find a starter....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48426962_1949849955068146_140960345618382848_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	262448

Name:	49145526_344423599713638_2494183312327704576_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	262449

Looks great!

Be sure and check out King Arthur Flour for starter, recipes, tips and help (they have a hotline you can call or text). They also publish a magazine called "Sift." I got that for Christmas. Yay me!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yeah buddy!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Sunday morning sour dough waffles!

Name:	sdwaffles.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	263152
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Whoa!

Me need that.

an FB friend inherited the +50 yr old family starter from grandma just before she passed and has been obsessively baking ever since
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A friend told me a story the other day about a student at a culinary school in Napa who threw out a 100+ year old starter. Oops

I wonder what beers to pair them with sour dough.

Maybe a vanilla maple porter would work.

These look tasty and as a bonus they use unfed discard starter:

BUTTERY SOURDOUGH SANDWICH BISCUITS

These big, palm-sized biscuits are perfect for a breakfast sandwich. Their sourdough tang pairs nicely with egg, ham, sausage, or whatever you choose to stuff them with. Better yet — the recipe uses your "discard" sourdough, the extra starter you might otherwise throw away during the feeding process.

Inspired by this thread (and the watcha cookin thread), I picked up a bag of rye flour and set out to get a sourdough starter going from scratch (following the king arthur instructions).

Now, I have a bag of rye flour sitting in the cupboard so I decided to use it in my normal loaf. The recipe uses 75% AP, 15% Rye and 10% whole wheat. I guess that makes it similar to a traditional Pain de Campagne? Since I don't have a mature sourdough starter going I used regular old yeast but I hope to make similar loaves soon with the sourdough starter.

Anyway, it was pretty slow to rise and the final proof was also slower than I'm used to. I'm not sure if that's because there was more whole grain than I normally use or what. The loaf turned out a bit flatter than I like but the flavor is great and the crust is awesome.

Name:	IMG_20190411_063655436.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	278130

Name:	IMG_20190411_063734938.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	278128

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Inspired by this thread (and the watcha cookin thread), I picked up a bag of rye flour and set out to get a sourdough starter going from scratch (following the king arthur instructions).

Now, I have a bag of rye flour sitting in the cupboard so I decided to use it in my normal loaf. The recipe uses 75% AP, 15% Rye and 10% whole wheat. I guess that makes it similar to a traditional Pain de Campagne? Since I don't have a mature sourdough starter going I used regular old yeast but I hope to make similar loaves soon with the sourdough starter.

Anyway, it was pretty slow to rise and the final proof was also slower than I'm used to. I'm not sure if that's because there was more whole grain than I normally use or what. The loaf turned out a bit flatter than I like but the flavor is great and the crust is awesome.

Name:	IMG_20190411_063655436.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	278130

Name:	IMG_20190411_063734938.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	278128
    That looks great!

I'm thinking of trying the biscuits I posted above your post. I should have enough discard left over from when I feed on Saturday night and make my sponge for Sunday morning sourdough waffles.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That looks great!

I'm thinking of trying the biscuits I posted above your post. I should have enough discard left over from when I feed on Saturday night and make my sponge for Sunday morning sourdough waffles.
    Let me know how it turns out. Tonight will be the beginning of my "day 4 feeding" and based on how much bubbling action was going on last night after just 2 days I'm guessing that I'll be ready to use the discard by the end of the weekend. Biscuits might be the perfect thing to start with.

My only real problem in this venture is that my wife is "gluten sensitive". For her it's real hit and miss but in general gluten heavy dishes don't sit right with her. I've heard that some people who have trouble with gluten don't have issues with sourdough. If that's the case for my wife then we'll probably end up baking a couple times a week or more. If that's not the case then it will be really hard to keep going regularly because our meals just don't revolve around bread and the last thing that I need is to polish off a large loaf every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Let me know how it turns out. Tonight will be the beginning of my "day 4 feeding" and based on how much bubbling action was going on last night after just 2 days I'm guessing that I'll be ready to use the discard by the end of the weekend. Biscuits might be the perfect thing to start with.

My only real problem in this venture is that my wife is "gluten sensitive". For her it's real hit and miss but in general gluten heavy dishes don't sit right with her. I've heard that some people who have trouble with gluten don't have issues with sourdough. If that's the case for my wife then we'll probably end up baking a couple times a week or more. If that's not the case then it will be really hard to keep going regularly because our meals just don't revolve around bread and the last thing that I need is to polish off a large loaf every week.
    I too have read that sourdough can be the exception for some who suffer from gluten intolerance. *fingers crossed for your wife*

You can keep your starter in the fridge and only feed it once a week. I don't do a lot of bread baking in the summer so my only use of my starter is for Sunday pancakes/waffles which works out pretty well. Sometimes I save the discard in the fridge "just in case" but most of the time I just toss it. However, now that I've found that biscuit recipe I might use my discard more often.

Bread Baking (sourdough)

The Beast is settling into its new environment quite well.

Name:	IMG_9737.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	281941

I know it’s in good shape when it goes exploring.

The Beast is settling into its new environment quite well.

Name:	IMG_9737.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	281941

I know it’s in good shape when it goes exploring.

Yum!

EXTRA-TANGY SOURDOUGH BREAD

Any one else here using specific "bread salt" rather than table? Or using some other kind like Himalayan? I use this:

Bread Salt

Haven't tried this but it looks interesting:

Citric Acid (Sour Salt)

you continually make me horny

you continually make me horny

LOL!!!

Get a room you two.

Was in the grocery store the other day, wandered down the bread isle and found some Peperage Farm sourdough bread so I picked up a loaf since its been forevah since I had any.

Jeebus, its like white bread with some crappy flavoring on it. I am ordering a starter.
    watch out for snakes