Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
Results 476 to 500 of 574
  1. #476
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Looks great! How did it taste?

    The next bread I'm making from Flour Water Salt Yeast (Forkish) is going to be his Saturday White. It's from his section on "Straight Doughs." Total time is 5 hours. It's a recipe for someone who wants to make "good, crusty loaves of white bread from start to finish in one day." Also suitable for pizza and focaccia.

    I'm still enjoying the WW I baked the other day. Def. a hearty loaf! Great toasted with strawberry preserves. Yum.
    Tasted amazing.....i need to work on the rise a bit I think. Not getting the air pockets I desire...taste is on point and air pockets arent bad just not what I want to see or have seen with the no knead method. I assume the no knead does better as its got more time to rise.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  2. #477
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Next attempt. 2 cups King Arthur bread flour. 1.5 cups King Arthur AP flour. 1.75cups warmish tap water. 1tbsp dry yeast, 3/4tbsp salt. Mix by hand, knead by hand. Rise at about 71degrees for 1hr45min. Punch/fold second rise same temp for 45 min. Baked cast iron Dutch oven 470ish 20 min cover on, 17min off. This batch rose much better I believe due to temps. Should be much airier.

    Results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200220_171505.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	316721

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  3. #478
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,353
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69D4D8EF-77DB-43F7-9020-5546761ADBCA.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	316744

    SD in mah craft beer chili with pearled barley, black angus beef and minor hot sauce additions of siratchi and sneaky heat.
    watch out for snakes

  4. #479
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69D4D8EF-77DB-43F7-9020-5546761ADBCA.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	316744

    SD in mah craft beer chili with pearled barley, black angus beef and minor hot sauce additions of siratchi and sneaky heat.
    Looks delicious all around.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  5. #480
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    More great knowledge
    Thanks for the awesome advice. Super helpful. We have the same Lodge dutch oven so glad to see a thumbs up on it. Good to know about the countertops too.

    Really appreciate all the help!

  6. #481
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,353
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7A9437B8-4904-4AE9-A668-49E44A881020.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	710.7 KB 
ID:	317366
    watch out for snakes

  7. #482
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    620
    Made baguettes this weekend using a new to me technique. Pulled them out, plopped them on the counter, and the wife said "I've seen you pull a lot of things out of that oven, and most of them are beautiful. Those are not." I did not disagree.

  8. #483
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Made baguettes this weekend using a new to me technique. Pulled them out, plopped them on the counter, and the wife said "I've seen you pull a lot of things out of that oven, and most of them are beautiful. Those are not." I did not disagree.
    LOL! But did they taste good?
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  9. #484
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL! But did they taste good?
    they tasted better than they looked, but not great. Too fat, so not quite the right texture throughout. I think the dough was fine. It was a shaping problem.

  10. #485
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    Huh. Made multiple wrong turns making this bread and thought for sure it was going to be a total wasted effort but it actually turned out wonderfully.

    It is a Forkish recipe called "the Saturday white bread." A make-in-a-day crusty white bread.

    First I screwed up the autolyse by mixing all the ingredient at once. Then after shaping I over proofed it so much so that when I turned it out of the brotform prior to putting it into the preheated bread baker it deflated. The final nail in the coffin was that I put it in the baker seam side down. Said "whatever" and threw it in the oven cursing myself for multitasking instead of focusing more on my baking.

    Despite myself it ending up coming out great. A very good basic white bread. Forkish mentions he sometimes uses 10% whole wheat for a deeper flavor profile. May try that next time.

    I only made one loaf saving the other half for pizza dough to use tomorrow night. He says you can hold the dough in the fridge for 2 or 3 days for focaccia or pizza.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200228_180839.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	318037
    Last edited by KQ; 02-28-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  11. #486
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    56
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60391439073__3CAF700C-1F2F-4A6D-8017-0E0C94BD0731.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	318044

    Improving...

  12. #487
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60391439073__3CAF700C-1F2F-4A6D-8017-0E0C94BD0731.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	318044

    Improving...
    Pretty!
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  13. #488
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    I'm finally getting Forkish's bread making method down and baked another loaf of his "Saturday White Bread" yesterday. This time, per his suggestion, I substituted 10% of the white flour for WW. Turned out lovely. I'm surprised what a difference 10% WW made to the loaf. Def. a bit denser and darker.

    The first loaf I baked with 100% white flour was delish and I will probably go that route again but the 10% WW is a nice alternative. I highly recommend this recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  14. #489
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I'm finally getting Forkish's bread making method down and baked another loaf of his "Saturday White Bread" yesterday. This time, per his suggestion, I substituted 10% of the white flour for WW. Turned out lovely. I'm surprised what a difference 10% WW made to the loaf. Def. a bit denser and darker.

    The first loaf I baked with 100% white flour was delish and I will probably go that route again but the 10% WW is a nice alternative. I highly recommend this recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast
    Got a white loaf on it's second rise now. I'm at about a loaf a week lately. Having pasta tonight so...can't have pasta without bread.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Skidog; 03-07-2020 at 01:49 PM.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  15. #490
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Couldn't add to prior post so

    Results of today's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	319205

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  16. #491
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,353
    Nice
    watch out for snakes

  17. #492
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville TN
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Couldn't add to prior post so

    Results of today's
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	319205

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Peg leg! Nice, the owner is an acquaintance. Tried to go there for lunch yesterday but balked at the line. Good looking loaf too.

  18. #493
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Peg leg! Nice, the owner is an acquaintance. Tried to go there for lunch yesterday but balked at the line. Good looking loaf too.
    Thanks. The bourbon is delicious. The smokiness comes through. Wish I had a friend that made booze that good.

    Here is some for the crowd who likes the inside. By far my best loaf of late. Mouthfeel was prefect. Just enough chew. Nice n soft. Great crisp crust. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_181328.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	319238

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  19. #494
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thanks. The bourbon is delicious. The smokiness comes through. Wish I had a friend that made booze that good.

    Here is some for the crowd who likes the inside. By far my best loaf of late. Mouthfeel was prefect. Just enough chew. Nice n soft. Great crisp crust. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_181328.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	319238
    That looks wonderful!
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  20. #495
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    That looks wonderful!
    Thanks. I think I'm progressing. Want to get the basics nailed before I move to breads like cuban and challah.

    I always imagined it being so much work/mess. Yeah it can be messy, but when doing 3 ingredients recipes it's not bad. Little elbow grease and time and you get bread better and fresher than anything at the store.

    I enjoy it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  21. #496
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    16,353
    Great looking crumb!
    watch out for snakes

  22. #497
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Attempting a honey white/wheat today.
    2 1/4 cups white bread flour, 3/4 whole wheat flour (both king). 1tbsp dry yeast, 1tbsp salt, 1/3cup honey.

    Results later.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  23. #498
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    15,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Attempting a honey white/wheat today.
    2 1/4 cups white bread flour, 3/4 whole wheat flour (both king). 1tbsp dry yeast, 1tbsp salt, 1/3cup honey.

    Results later.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Substitute some of that flour for cornmeal, throw in some milk and you'd have Broa. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Re: your earlier post - no, bread isn't really hard and can be quick depending on what kind of results you want. No need for a bread machine either.

    Here's a question for the bread collective: What kind of salt are you using? I've been using King Arthur's bread salt and am quite happy with it. Forkish recommends a very fine sea salt.
    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  24. #499
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Substitute some of that flour for cornmeal, throw in some milk and you'd have Broa. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Re: your earlier post - no, bread isn't really hard and can be quick depending on what kind of results you want. No need for a bread machine either.

    Here's a question for the bread collective: What kind of salt are you using? I've been using King Arthur's bread salt and am quite happy with it. Forkish recommends a very fine sea salt.
    Thanks.

    In regards to salt. I've used iodized table, fine kosher, fine sea. To be honest can't tell much difference.

    Loaf just went in oven. Pics Soon.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  25. #500
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,736
    Ok so I believe this will turn out well. Puffier than most I've had, so I think I got a good rise. I also think the sugar effects cook times. They were shorter. I might turn the oven down when doing loaves like this.

    Recipe above. 1st rise about 2 hours at roomish temp of 70. I usually rise in a warmer spot but it's nice and windows are open. Punch and fold over on corners a few times. Another 1hr rise, this time on stove top while oven preheats. Preheat oven to about 425 with cast iron Dutch oven inside. Loaf in seam up. 20min cover on, 13min cover off (mine are typically 20/20, sometimes 20/25. Inside results later.

    Teaser.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200309_151228.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	319533

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •