Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Bread turned out great yesterday! Really loving this 10% whole wheat white.

Attachment 320764
    Very nice

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wife was going to the store. “Get flour if they have any.” Returned with this and “this was all they had”.

Guess I can start bartering bread for toilet paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to resort to picking up a bag of Pillsbury bread flour.

Today's is still king Arthur and next few likely as I've got some stocked. Anyway here's today's. Added a spritz of water to the top and man is the crust crisp this time. Inside pics later maybe. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200319_163458.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	321124

nice
    watch out for snakes

that looks great. Let me know if you need a care package. I can probably spare a few lbs of flour. You have any TP to barter?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    that looks great. Let me know if you need a care package. I can probably spare a few lbs of flour. You have any TP to barter?
    It was indeed. And I might take you up on that but to supplies ain't what they used to be lol. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200319_181032.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	321320

Couple questions for the bread baking collective.

1. Yeast. Do you a use dry? Fresh from the refrigerator section (if your store has)? I been using dry. Red star. I get the small jar so I have it on hand. Well with the grocery stores slammed they were out of jars and didn't even have red star.

I made a loaf this am on request and used the packets of fleichmans I got. Wow the first rise was bigger than I've ever had. I know yeast strains are different, but with dry is there that much difference? The red star jar wasn't even 6 months old so I can't imagine it's bad, and it's dry yeast really shouldn't go "bad".

2. How do you all factor in the kneading flour used? Do you count it? I mean seems like for me it might be like an entire 1/4cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Couple questions for the bread baking collective.

1. Yeast. Do you a use dry? Fresh from the refrigerator section (if your store has)? I been using dry. Red star. I get the small jar so I have it on hand. Well with the grocery stores slammed they were out of jars and didn't even have red star.

I made a loaf this am on request and used the packets of fleichmans I got. Wow the first rise was bigger than I've ever had. I know yeast strains are different, but with dry is there that much difference? The red star jar wasn't even 6 months old so I can't imagine it's bad, and it's dry yeast really shouldn't go "bad".

2. How do you all factor in the kneading flour used? Do you count it? I mean seems like for me it might be like an entire 1/4cup.

I used to use the dry yeast that comes in the jar (Maybe Red Star, can't remember). Since getting sourdough dialed I haven't really needed yeast for anything.

No need to account for the flour used when kneading. In fact, I don't even really knead the dough, I just use the stretch and fold method with a long slow ferment (like most of the day). Using that method, I don't need to add any extra flour until I start the shaping process and then I keep the extra flour to a minimum.

For the loaf of bread that I typically bake, the process is based more on a sense of where things are at more than any specific time table. Ingredients are measure with a scale for consistency.

Here's a couple photos of the bread that I baked on Saturday (65% AP, 20% WW, 15% Rye).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200322_092923508.jpg 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	321841

Name:	IMG_20200322_094205360.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	321842

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I used to use the dry yeast that comes in the jar (Maybe Red Star, can't remember). Since getting sourdough dialed I haven't really needed yeast for anything.

No need to account for the flour used when kneading. In fact, I don't even really knead the dough, I just use the stretch and fold method with a long slow ferment (like most of the day). Using that method, I don't need to add any extra flour until I start the shaping process and then I keep the extra flour to a minimum.

For the loaf of bread that I typically bake, the process is based more on a sense of where things are at more than any specific time table. Ingredients are measure with a scale for consistency.

Here's a couple photos of the bread that I baked on Saturday (65% AP, 20% WW, 15% Rye).

Name:	IMG_20200322_092923508.jpg 
Size:	252.4 KB 
ID:	321841

Name:	IMG_20200322_094205360.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	321842
    Beautiful

(And last but not least, James Beard Award winning cookbook author Ken Forkish of Portland’s Ken’s Artisan Bakery and Ken’s Artisan Pizza will do an AMA next month on r/breadit, Reddit’s baking forum. Get those questions in now.)

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/two-of-portlands-most-celebrated-chefs-will-offer-free-online-cooking-tutorials-during-coronavirus-pandemic.html

Well, this WFH world made me finally get a sourdough starter going. Finally getting that tang.

Friend last night mentioned sourdough-starter discard pancakes as a nice breakfast options. First one today -- fried up with some olive oil, topped with mushrooms, asparagus, sesame seeds, lil soy sauce, and cream cheese.

Delish.

Name:  90800102_216443439426209_9095658873615810560_n.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  75.6 KB

I have ramped up the baking too. Used to be once per weekend assuming in town. Having been doing every other day since going to WFH last week.

I previously just kept starter in fridge and pulled it out a couple of days prior to baking to do a couple of refreshes. I've been feeding daily for about a week now.

Made a sandwich style loaf with polenta and pumpkin seeds last weekend, which turned out great. Have a big loaf of french country white proofing now that will go into the oven to have with tonight's tagine chicken.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

hi!

I made a full 1/2 kg boule yesterday and got no ovenspring. It was about an inch high. I tossed the whole thing. I hope that is because I overproofed and not what I can expect to see from the 25 lb bag of generic kroger flour Ann bought because it was literally the only flour at the grocery. If so, I'm gonna have to toss that whole bag and kill someone for some King Arthur. I think that was the first full loaf I did with the generic. I did find a regular bag of KA wheat flour this morning at Kroger, so maybe there is hope.

hi!

I made a full 1/2 kg boule yesterday and got no ovenspring. It was about an inch high. I tossed the whole thing. I hope that is because I overproofed and not what I can expect to see from the 25 lb bag of generic kroger flour Ann bought because it was literally the only flour at the grocery. If so, I'm gonna have to toss that whole bag and kill someone for some King Arthur. I think that was the first full loaf I did with the generic. I did find a regular bag of KA wheat flour this morning at Kroger, so maybe there is hope.
    Yup - shelves cleared out over here too. Even King Arthur online is cleared out or at least they were the other day. I've got a stash of Bob's Organic flour and a package of SAF yeast so not too bad there but I'm low on dried tart cherries that I put in bran muffins, cookies & scones. Probably need some more raisins, walnuts and baking soda too.

Last time I over proofed a loaf and thought for sure it was going to turn out awful/be a waste. It actually turned out great. Hope you have the same luck!
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

time for another batch
    watch out for snakes

King Arthur Flour

Since extra flour and yeast are scarce, it's the perfect time to try something new. We want to share an especially intriguing technique with you: yeast water starter.

It's an alternative to sourdough starter made with water, sugar, and dried fruit! Your yeast water starter lives in the fridge, and doesn’t require regular feedings of flour. It just needs a shake every once in a while, and is there to be baked with when you’re ready for some bread.

Share your baking with us by tagging @kingarthurflour and using #bakewithus

Baking bread with a yeast water starter

Interesting. Thanks KQ. I just found an extra 10 lb bag of KA whole wheat flour in the back of my pantry and was way happier than I should have been.

An Important Message From the Bob’s Red Mill Team

During this time of uncertainty, we want to take a minute to assure you that we are here for you. With many people stocking their pantries at this time, we have recently experienced an unprecedented surge in demand. As a result, some of our popular products may be temporarily unavailable. Rest assured that our employee-owners are working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to mill, mix, package and ship the Bob’s Red Mill products that you are looking for, and we appreciate your patience, trust and support at this time. Thank you for your patience and understanding, and we hope you stay safe and healthy.

Yup - shelves cleared out over here too. Even King Arthur online is cleared out or at least they were the other day. I've got a stash of Bob's Organic flour and a package of SAF yeast so not too bad there but I'm low on dried tart cherries that I put in bran muffins, cookies & scones. Probably need some more raisins, walnuts and baking soda too.

Last time I over proofed a loaf and thought for sure it was going to turn out awful/be a waste. It actually turned out great. Hope you have the same luck!
    got to the grocery early yesterday and scored 2 5 lb bags of King Arthur. I have a batch going to which I added polenta and toasted pumpkin seeds to make a sandwich style loaf for the week, and another batch going to make 3-4 small baguettes to eat for the next couple of nights.

Yesterday's starter, fed with the shit flour, didn't really start (leaven never floated), so I tossed most of it, fed with the KA I bought yesterday, and it was lively this morning, so optimistic that I'm back in business.

got to the grocery early yesterday and scored 2 5 lb bags of King Arthur. I have a batch going to which I added polenta and toasted pumpkin seeds to make a sandwich style loaf for the week, and another batch going to make 3-4 small baguettes to eat for the next couple of nights.

Yesterday's starter, fed with the shit flour, didn't really start (leaven never floated), so I tossed most of it, fed with the KA I bought yesterday, and it was lively this morning, so optimistic that I'm back in business.
    Ann is a lucky girl!

Ann is a lucky girl!
    Mike is lucky guy.

Kicking myself for not grabbing an a bag at Costco when I was there a week ago. Pickins were slim at the grocer today but I did get some rye to start feeding my starter. Morning sourdough discard pancakes been kicking ass. As did mixing the discard with a bit of dough and throwing it on the grill with olive oil and sea salt.

Gonna try a chocolate sourdough loaf for desert this week.

Name:	91238767_506980916855651_7708712331991056384_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	505.0 KB 
ID:	323167

Tasty as fuck with cream cheese this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Mike is lucky guy.

Kicking myself for not grabbing an a bag at Costco when I was there a week ago. Pickins were slim at the grocer today but I did get some rye to start feeding my starter. Morning sourdough discard pancakes been kicking ass. As did mixing the discard with a bit of dough and throwing it on the grill with olive oil and sea salt.

Gonna try a chocolate sourdough loaf for desert this week.
    At the local Adventist grocery yesterday all they had on the shelf were 50lb bags of flour from a local mill. I came *this* close to buying it but the logistics of storing it, keeping it fresh and using it all in good time were more than I could think about so I passed. Hoping Bob's, KA and the rest get on it soon!

Wheat in my fields is coming up nicely but yanno... going to be a while. Hopefully this will all be behind us by then.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

Name:	91238767_506980916855651_7708712331991056384_n.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	505.0 KB 
ID:	323167

Tasty as fuck with cream cheese this morning.

Lovely!

Is that chocolate? looks awesome whatever it is.