Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Nice!
    watch out for snakes

"We’re almost out of flour again. This is whole wheat, AP, Bread flour sourdough."
    __________________________________________________ ______

Looks great. I sent a text to 3-4 friends who live nearby but don't bake and have them keeping an eye out for flour whenever they shop. That's working out pretty well. I've baked a loaf for 2 of them who were able to purchase flour.

Made my first batch of discard SD pancakes, turned out pretty good.

1 cup discard, 1 cup bisquik, 1 egg.

Also used my cast iron griddle for first time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D26A7559-C329-4CB7-A5E4-29181782D485.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	328039
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dafuq you talking about? I made them all last night through the final proof, then stuck 'em in the fridge overnight. Got up at 7am, boiled, baked, done by about 8:30.

I don't get up at 3:30am for ANYTHING.
    I meant as a profession. Those dudes wake up early to make bagels.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Yesterday's attempts.

Name:	IMG_20200509_114108.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	328041

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Made my first batch of discard SD pancakes, turned out pretty good.

1 cup discard, 1 cup bisquik, 1 egg.

Also used my cast iron griddle for first time.

Name:	D26A7559-C329-4CB7-A5E4-29181782D485.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	692.4 KB 
ID:	328039
    curious as to why you didn't use the KA recipe? I just finished my discard SD waffles with fresh raspberries - yummy!

Classic Sourdough Waffles or Pancakes

BTW - you can cut the above recipe in half. Half a recipe will make six waffles. I can only eat three so I freeze the rest after letting them cool on a wire rack. I place a piece of parchment between the waffles and put them in a ziplock bag. Re-heat in a 250/300 degree oven for about 8mins.

I've never tried to freeze pancakes. Half a recipe makes maybe a dozen pancakes.
    Last edited by KQ; 05-10-2020 at 01:05 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Shooting from the hip as usual.

Need me one of them nu fangledy waffle makers.

Got a panini gadget but no waffle inserts.

Might try’er next time. Thanks for the recipe.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Shooting from the hip as usual.

Need me one of them nu fangledy waffle makers.

Got a panini gadget but no waffle inserts.

Might try’er next time. Thanks for the recipe.
    I have this iron: VillaWare V3100 Classic Waffler Heart Shaped

Notice that the rating isn't very high - haven't gone through the reviews but I can tell you I've had mine for 20yrs and it works great.

When I'm making the waffles I put the cooked ones in a 250° oven to dry them out a tad otherwise they get really mushy NTTIAWWT just my preference to have them a little firmer for when I put syrup and fruit on them. That said, I've been known to eat them plain right off the iron. Soooooooooo good!

LOL!! Just noticed that the iron I linked is not made anymore and selling for $230! Uhhhh no, good but not that good. Anyhoo, gives you an idea of size. Half that batter recipe makes 6 waffles on this iron.

Here's a snowflake iron: Snowflake Waffle Maker- Non-Stick Winter Holiday Waffler Iron Griddle w Adjustable Browning Control

Last edited by KQ; 05-10-2020 at 03:03 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dafuq you talking about? I made them all last night through the final proof, then stuck 'em in the fridge overnight. Got up at 7am, boiled, baked, done by about 8:30.

I don't get up at 3:30am for ANYTHING.
    So you piss the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yesterday's attempts.

Name:	IMG_20200509_114108.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	328041

Maple syrup, coffee, and wild turkey. Sounds tasty

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Maple syrup, coffee, and wild turkey. Sounds tasty
    and Ritz crackers! Everything tastes great when it sits on a Ritz!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    and Ritz crackers! Everything tastes great when it sits on a Ritz!

Bet you never thought you'd post this 2 times in a day in different threads. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Bet you never thought you'd post this 2 times in a day in different threads. Lol

I know. Weird right? I had to go back to the first one to see if I was replying to the same person but nope. That made it all the more strange. Haven't had a Ritz myself in probably a decade or more.

I know. Weird right? I had to go back to the first one to see if I was replying to the same person but nope. That made it all the more strange. Haven't had a Ritz myself in probably a decade or more.
    I prefer regular old saltines. I can eat a sleeve easy in a sitting. The kids dig the Ritz, but that box has been sitting there for a bit...hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So you piss the bed?
    Not since I was 3yo, Mr. BladderTheSizeOfAWalnut.

curious as to why you didn't use the KA recipe? I just finished my discard SD waffles with fresh raspberries - yummy!

Classic Sourdough Waffles or Pancakes
    Made these yesterday morning - really nice waffles. Quite a bit chewier than the usual Belgian style waffles I make. Nice and crispy on the outside. I approve.

<snip> I freeze the rest after letting them cool on a wire rack.
    Freezing waffles is so easy and makes for easy kid-school-day-breakfasts. I usually cool mine on wire racks, then stick them directly in the freezer for about an hour after cooled. Once frozen, stick them in Ziploc bags (no parchment paper required).

ETA - also made easy sourdough naan for dinner last night: https://thegingeredwhisk.com/sourdough-naan/ Two thumbs up.

so stoked i can finally contribute to this thread - baked my first loaf of sourdough bread this morning - didn't turn out perfect (no oven spring/the ear is pretty flat), but i'm still stoked. smells delicious.

Name:	IMG_20200512_100942.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	328248

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    so stoked i can finally contribute to this thread - baked my first loaf of sourdough bread this morning - didn't turn out perfect (no oven spring/the ear is pretty flat), but i'm still stoked. smells delicious.

Name:	IMG_20200512_100942.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	328248
    Nice and welcome!

KA flour is too difficult to find, so I've been using Italian flour, called "Tipo 00" and it's resulted in the most amazing sourdough bread I've ever made.
    I use the discard all the time, mostly for Scallion Pancakes (the sauce is Tamari, Chili Oil, Garlic, Ginger):

Name:	E1320AC9-DC85-4243-AD69-49433C3B9FFB_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	789.2 KB 
ID:	328523

Here's yesterday's loaf of 100% Italian flour:

Name:	IMG_1287.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	328524

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    KA flour is too difficult to find, so I've been using Italian flour, called "Typo 00" and it's resulted in the most amazing sourdough bread I've ever made.
    I use the discard all the time, mostly for Scallion Pancakes (the sauce is Tamari, Chili Oil, Garlic, Ginger):

Name:	E1320AC9-DC85-4243-AD69-49433C3B9FFB_1_201_a.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	789.2 KB 
ID:	328523

Here's yesterday's loaf of 100% Italian flour:

Name:	IMG_1287.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	328524
    No kidding! I just picked up a 5# thing of 00 flour for an online Italian cooking class we're taking. Now I want to make a loaf with it - yours looks gorgeous!

thanks tgapp - here's how it looks in a grilled cheddar & avocado sandwich (this loaf had 20% King Arthur whole wheat flour with 80% Tipo 00).

Name:	IMG_1282.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	550.6 KB 
ID:	328533
    Last edited by yogachik; 05-14-2020 at 10:56 AM.

Working from home has meant that I can be more consistent about making bread. Costco has been carrying a 2x10# bag of Central Milling Organic AP Flour for about $13 (~$0.65/#!!!). That seems like a super bargain to me and it's been the base for most of the bread that I've made for the last year or so. It's not always available but I've been making sure that I try replace it whenever I have a chance even if I don't need it since it may not be available next time and I'm avoiding Costco as much as possible. I've also been scrounging random specialty things when I see it at the store.

I've made a couple of loaves with spelt. I loosely followed a recipe from Tartine #3 that is something like 70% spelt, 30% regular flour. Some of the spelt is sifted to remove most of the bran, and some of it is left as whole grain spelt. In my first attempt I followed the recipe which called for something like 80% hydration. It tasted good but was super flat. In my second attempt I dialed the water back to something more normal and viola, I got better results. My kids said something like, "this is the best bread ever" when they first tried it. So, I'll take that as a win. I don't know quite how to describe the spelt loaf. It has a light nutty flavor. It's kind of "soft". It goes really well with butter and a small pinch of salt. It might be one of my favorites yet. It's on par with my normal loaf which has something like 10-15% rye and 10-15% whole wheat.

Name:	Spelt_1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	328612

Yesterday, I made a semolina loaf. It's 70% semolina, 30% AP flour. It turned out really good. The semolina gives it a tighter crumb and it's soft with a nice yellowish color like pasta. The flavor is more interesting than something made with just plain AP flour but it's not overpowering. It's a nice plainish bread. It would make a nice grilled cheese sandwich or maybe even good french toast.

Name:	Semolina 1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	328613

Name:	Semolina 2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	328614

goddamn u guys make beautiful loaves, puts me to shame

I have officially become a flour hoarder. If I see it on the shelf when I'm at the store I buy it. Currently I've got 4 5lb bags of Bob's organic AP white stashed away plus a bag of his organic WW and a bag of KA white WW flour.

Grocery store has a one bag limit. One bag of flour period. Not one of each kind of flour.