Page 20 of 42 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Next attempt. 2 cups King Arthur bread flour. 1.5 cups King Arthur AP flour. 1.75cups warmish tap water. 1tbsp dry yeast, 3/4tbsp salt. Mix by hand, knead by hand. Rise at about 71degrees for 1hr45min. Punch/fold second rise same temp for 45 min. Baked cast iron Dutch oven 470ish 20 min cover on, 17min off. This batch rose much better I believe due to temps. Should be much airier.

Results.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200220_171505.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	316721

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Name:	69D4D8EF-77DB-43F7-9020-5546761ADBCA.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	316744

SD in mah craft beer chili with pearled barley, black angus beef and minor hot sauce additions of siratchi and sneaky heat.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Name:	69D4D8EF-77DB-43F7-9020-5546761ADBCA.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	635.4 KB 
ID:	316744

SD in mah craft beer chili with pearled barley, black angus beef and minor hot sauce additions of siratchi and sneaky heat.
    Looks delicious all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    More great knowledge
    Thanks for the awesome advice. Super helpful. We have the same Lodge dutch oven so glad to see a thumbs up on it. Good to know about the countertops too.

Really appreciate all the help!

Name:	7A9437B8-4904-4AE9-A668-49E44A881020.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	710.7 KB 
ID:	317366
    watch out for snakes

Made baguettes this weekend using a new to me technique. Pulled them out, plopped them on the counter, and the wife said "I've seen you pull a lot of things out of that oven, and most of them are beautiful. Those are not." I did not disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Made baguettes this weekend using a new to me technique. Pulled them out, plopped them on the counter, and the wife said "I've seen you pull a lot of things out of that oven, and most of them are beautiful. Those are not." I did not disagree.
    LOL! But did they taste good?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL! But did they taste good?
    they tasted better than they looked, but not great. Too fat, so not quite the right texture throughout. I think the dough was fine. It was a shaping problem.

Huh. Made multiple wrong turns making this bread and thought for sure it was going to be a total wasted effort but it actually turned out wonderfully.

It is a Forkish recipe called "the Saturday white bread." A make-in-a-day crusty white bread.

First I screwed up the autolyse by mixing all the ingredient at once. Then after shaping I over proofed it so much so that when I turned it out of the brotform prior to putting it into the preheated bread baker it deflated. The final nail in the coffin was that I put it in the baker seam side down. Said "whatever" and threw it in the oven cursing myself for multitasking instead of focusing more on my baking.

Despite myself it ending up coming out great. A very good basic white bread. Forkish mentions he sometimes uses 10% whole wheat for a deeper flavor profile. May try that next time.

I only made one loaf saving the other half for pizza dough to use tomorrow night. He says you can hold the dough in the fridge for 2 or 3 days for focaccia or pizza.

Name:	20200228_180839.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	318037
    Last edited by KQ; 02-28-2020 at 09:00 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Name:	60391439073__3CAF700C-1F2F-4A6D-8017-0E0C94BD0731.JPG 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	318044

Improving...

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post

Name:	60391439073__3CAF700C-1F2F-4A6D-8017-0E0C94BD0731.JPG 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	318044

Improving...
    Pretty!

I'm finally getting Forkish's bread making method down and baked another loaf of his "Saturday White Bread" yesterday. This time, per his suggestion, I substituted 10% of the white flour for WW. Turned out lovely. I'm surprised what a difference 10% WW made to the loaf. Def. a bit denser and darker.

The first loaf I baked with 100% white flour was delish and I will probably go that route again but the 10% WW is a nice alternative. I highly recommend this recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast

I'm finally getting Forkish's bread making method down and baked another loaf of his "Saturday White Bread" yesterday. This time, per his suggestion, I substituted 10% of the white flour for WW. Turned out lovely. I'm surprised what a difference 10% WW made to the loaf. Def. a bit denser and darker.

The first loaf I baked with 100% white flour was delish and I will probably go that route again but the 10% WW is a nice alternative. I highly recommend this recipe from Flour Water Salt Yeast
    Got a white loaf on it's second rise now. I'm at about a loaf a week lately. Having pasta tonight so...can't have pasta without bread.

Last edited by Skidog; 03-07-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Couldn't add to prior post so

Results of today's

Name:	Image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	319205

Nice
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Couldn't add to prior post so

Results of today's

Name:	Image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	319205

Peg leg! Nice, the owner is an acquaintance. Tried to go there for lunch yesterday but balked at the line. Good looking loaf too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Peg leg! Nice, the owner is an acquaintance. Tried to go there for lunch yesterday but balked at the line. Good looking loaf too.
    Thanks. The bourbon is delicious. The smokiness comes through. Wish I had a friend that made booze that good.

Here is some for the crowd who likes the inside. By far my best loaf of late. Mouthfeel was prefect. Just enough chew. Nice n soft. Great crisp crust. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_181328.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	319238

Thanks. The bourbon is delicious. The smokiness comes through. Wish I had a friend that made booze that good.

Here is some for the crowd who likes the inside. By far my best loaf of late. Mouthfeel was prefect. Just enough chew. Nice n soft. Great crisp crust. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200307_181328.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	319238
    That looks wonderful!

That looks wonderful!
    Thanks. I think I'm progressing. Want to get the basics nailed before I move to breads like cuban and challah.

I always imagined it being so much work/mess. Yeah it can be messy, but when doing 3 ingredients recipes it's not bad. Little elbow grease and time and you get bread better and fresher than anything at the store.

I enjoy it.

Great looking crumb!
    watch out for snakes

Attempting a honey white/wheat today.
    2 1/4 cups white bread flour, 3/4 whole wheat flour (both king). 1tbsp dry yeast, 1tbsp salt, 1/3cup honey.

Results later.

Attempting a honey white/wheat today.
    2 1/4 cups white bread flour, 3/4 whole wheat flour (both king). 1tbsp dry yeast, 1tbsp salt, 1/3cup honey.

Results later.

Substitute some of that flour for cornmeal, throw in some milk and you'd have Broa. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Re: your earlier post - no, bread isn't really hard and can be quick depending on what kind of results you want. No need for a bread machine either.

Here's a question for the bread collective: What kind of salt are you using? I've been using King Arthur's bread salt and am quite happy with it. Forkish recommends a very fine sea salt.

Substitute some of that flour for cornmeal, throw in some milk and you'd have Broa. Can't wait to see how this turns out for you. Re: your earlier post - no, bread isn't really hard and can be quick depending on what kind of results you want. No need for a bread machine either.

Here's a question for the bread collective: What kind of salt are you using? I've been using King Arthur's bread salt and am quite happy with it. Forkish recommends a very fine sea salt.
    Thanks.

In regards to salt. I've used iodized table, fine kosher, fine sea. To be honest can't tell much difference.

Loaf just went in oven. Pics Soon.

Ok so I believe this will turn out well. Puffier than most I've had, so I think I got a good rise. I also think the sugar effects cook times. They were shorter. I might turn the oven down when doing loaves like this.

Recipe above. 1st rise about 2 hours at roomish temp of 70. I usually rise in a warmer spot but it's nice and windows are open. Punch and fold over on corners a few times. Another 1hr rise, this time on stove top while oven preheats. Preheat oven to about 425 with cast iron Dutch oven inside. Loaf in seam up. 20min cover on, 13min cover off (mine are typically 20/20, sometimes 20/25. Inside results later.

Teaser.

Name:	IMG_20200309_151228.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	319533

Ok so I believe this will turn out well. Puffier than most I've had, so I think I got a good rise. I also think the sugar effects cook times. They were shorter. I might turn the oven down when doing loaves like this.

Recipe above. 1st rise about 2 hours at roomish temp of 70. I usually rise in a warmer spot but it's nice and windows are open. Punch and fold over on corners a few times. Another 1hr rise, this time on stove top while oven preheats. Preheat oven to about 425 with cast iron Dutch oven inside. Loaf in seam up. 20min cover on, 13min cover off (mine are typically 20/20, sometimes 20/25. Inside results later.

Teaser.

Name:	IMG_20200309_151228.jpeg 
Views:	55 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	319533
    Picture perfect outside