Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    ^^ wow, that ear looks wild puregravity!

i wish i had those ingredients on-hand, would totally try that recipe.

Nicely done PG

Here is one of my favorite things for SD bread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCF4B2B0-32F0-4662-8982-7F641C7B982A.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	333023
    Last edited by SB; 06-29-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    ^^ wow, that ear looks wild puregravity!

i wish i had those ingredients on-hand, would totally try that recipe.
    Thanks. Most of my loaves are a fail. Much rejoicing when it turns out good.

I made a video of the rise, 35X speed to about half the bake.

https://i.imgur.com/HDOHie3.gif

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Nicely done PG

Here is one of my favorite things for SD bread.

Name:	DCF4B2B0-32F0-4662-8982-7F641C7B982A.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	632.4 KB 
ID:	333023
    That looks tasty!

I

Name:	394542FB-41F8-4116-A9FF-4F3D06C03CA2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	811.5 KB 
ID:	335142

Name:	5BA876CA-43A5-435E-BB8D-9026F766EE8E.jpg 
Size:	809.6 KB 
ID:	335143

It’s hot AF so I decided to bake SD.

The last loaf over proofed and stuck really bad so wanted another at bat.

Back on track.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post

Name:	394542FB-41F8-4116-A9FF-4F3D06C03CA2.jpg 
Size:	811.5 KB 
ID:	335142

Name:	5BA876CA-43A5-435E-BB8D-9026F766EE8E.jpg 
Size:	809.6 KB 
ID:	335143

It’s hot AF so I decided to bake SD.

The last loaf over proofed and stuck really bad so wanted another at bat.

Back on track.
    Yummy! That second pic looks like the head of a horned toad

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I've got a batch of heirloom whole wheat + rye sourdough dough that has autolysed for 4 days in the fridge.
    I inoculated it 1.5 days ago ... and then immediately put it back in the fridge.
    Just haven't had time to bake.
    It hasn't grown yet ...
    It could still be good!

Wow. Amazing dough. Just took it out of the fridge, perfect gluten, smells sweet and flavorful!

15% Rye
    20% Spelt
    20% Coarse Whole Wheat
    45% Heirloom Wheat
    80% hydration (including starter)
    Switched milk for water in the dough.

Cut it into two loaves, balled it up and put it in bowls to rise 6 hours.
    Didn't even do any folds after the previous days innoculation (1 set of folds) and salting (1 set of folds).
    So far this one has the best texture of any I've made.
    It feels very soft and holds a shape very well.
    I'm optimistic.

In other news - starter.
    The combination of 20% organic whole grain rye and 80% organic whole grain Heirloom Wheat is making a very healthy starter.
    After mixing, in first 6 hours it tripled in size.
    Then I stirred it down, and in the next 3 hours it doubled in size again.
    Then I stirred it down, put it in the fridge, and in the morning (15 hours more), it doubled in size again.
    My regular 20% rye, 20% whole wheat doesn't even rise noticeably in the fridge at all - and usually all I get is tripling with maybe 1.5 times rise after a stirdown.
    This heirloom wheat whole grain must have steroids in it.
    I'm starting to think that baking is actually keeping me sane in these covid times.

Beware of SPELT. All 6 of my loaves today looked more like pieces of rock that fell off comet Neowise ... than the usual somewhat risen sourdough I've expected! It was 15% rye and 20% spelt. 80% Hydration. I haven't cut them open yet. This one is loaded with dried figs and walnuts. The others were plain. These are 700 gram rocks (TBD but sure looks dense!). Probably OK toasted with butter. I'm no chef ... but I make good rocks!

Cooking schedule:
    500F for 30 minutes with steam (pan and spray), then 450F for 15 minutes with steam (pan and spray), then 450F for 20 minutes DRY for crust.

Last edited by puregravity; 07-21-2020 at 08:28 PM.

edit:
    Just made first open face with cabbage, dijon,cheese and ham.
    Hydration is spot-on. Very dense, but very tasty and great for deli sandwiches or soup dipping.
    I'm esp looking forward to the dried fig and walnut loaf.
    Not fluff, I tell you! Packed with figs and walnuts, this loaf weighs 2 pounds.

Last edited by puregravity; 07-21-2020 at 08:26 PM.

Had my first fail yesterday, trying out a new recipe for an olive loaf. Everything seemed good until I made the cuts, and the the dough just deflated. Ended up with two dense but flavourful pancake shaped loaves.

Really not sure what happened, except that the dough seemed really active during bulk fermentation, so maybe it went too long?

Can't post a picture yet as the server still seems to be struggling.

Good to read that everyone is still going strong with the bread baking!

PG - thanks for info on Spelt. Please keep us updated on future experiments.

Sb - yeah sounds like you overproofed. Hate it when that happens! I keep a digital thermometer on the counter next to my fermenting tub. It has helped a lot esp. in the warmer months when rise time is considerably shorter.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

What are you looking for temp wise kq? I’ve baked a couple of pancakes recently and it’s effin hot here now. I think I handle the heat and humidity which I have never liked less well as I age. Maybe just more crotchety in general

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    What are you looking for temp wise kq? I’ve baked a couple of pancakes recently and it’s effin hot here now. I think I handle the heat and humidity which I have never liked less well as I age. Maybe just more crotchety in general
    68 degrees works well for me. 72 dramatically shortens my rise time. That's room temp on the counter by the tub. For dough temp I have the best luck when I'm at the the low end of Forkish's range.

We've been in triple digits here. So horrible esp. given that my AC is on the fritz (oy vey!). Yesterday and today have been mid-80s and tomorrow is supposed to be the last cool day for a while so I'm planning to bake a couple loaves. I will be getting up early to get going but I anticipate a short rise time.

Hey Mike, here's my TR from today:

As I mentioned the AC is on the fritz so the house is pretty much the same as outside. Not too hot today, low humidity (21%). Temp in the kitchen when I started was 72.

When the dough (Forkish Saturday white with 10% whole wheat) was mixed and set aside to rise the dough temp was 77 and the kitchen was 73.

Rise was rapid right off the bat. Forkish estimates a 5 hour rise to triple bulk. It was going so fast today I cut an hour off the initial rise and half an hour of the proofing stage after dividing and shaping. Might have been able to shorten that more if I wanted. When I put the dough in the preheated Dutch oven/baker they were a little puffier/lighter that I'd hoped.

My oven runs hot so baking time was 20 mins covered, 12 mins uncovered. (Forkish calls for 30 mins covered/20 mins uncovered).

First time I've ever had a loaf stick to the Dutch oven (Le Crueset). The loaf in the Emil Henry baker did not stick.

Loaves were crackling like crazy when I turned then out to cool.

Here is the result. Look normal for my loaves. Sorry, no crumb shot yet.

Name:	20200725_170647.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	335440

Looking good!

Sad, flat, tasty pancakes...

Name:	IMG_20200722_104230[1].jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	335572[

Look tasty though!

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Sad, flat, tasty pancakes...

Name:	IMG_20200722_104230[1].jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	335572[
    Lately I too have had a few pancake loaves. Until KQ mentioned it, I hadnt considered the temps. House seems comfortable so bread should be good? Nope...overproofed falls flat as soon as I move to bake. Over weekend I watched much closer, rise times for sure shortened due to temps. Didn't take pics, but it was not a pancake this time. Just gotta think a bit more and pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Lately I too have had a few pancake loaves. Until KQ mentioned it, I hadnt considered the temps. House seems comfortable so bread should be good? Nope...overproofed falls flat as soon as I move to bake. Over weekend I watched much closer, rise times for sure shortened due to temps. Didn't take pics, but it was not a pancake this time. Just gotta think a bit more and pay attention.
    I can confirm that I've noticed a trend. When loaves don't rise well in the oven and come out flat they're usually overproofed. As a consequence I've been leaning toward underproofing. I think it just takes lots of experience to find the right balance. You also have to stay super attentive which can be challenging.

Also, I've found that spelt flour is a lot more sensitive to proof time. Spelt flour dough will seem like it's going along just fine and then collapse without warning. I think it's extra important to keep a close eye on spelt dough during the bulk ferment and do your shaping and final proof earlier rather than later.

Of course, this could all be totally bad advice. It's just some observations that I've made from dinking around.

On a side note, my wife has banned me from using the oven until we have more mild weather so my bread baking, cracker making, and general sourdough tomfoolery is on hold.

Crumb shot - turned out pretty fine. LOL @ the sad face! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200728_101409.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	335595

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I can confirm that I've noticed a trend. When loaves don't rise well in the oven and come out flat they're usually overproofed. As a consequence I've been leaning toward underproofing. I think it just takes lots of experience to find the right balance. You also have to stay super attentive which can be challenging.

Also, I've found that spelt flour is a lot more sensitive to proof time. Spelt flour dough will seem like it's going along just fine and then collapse without warning. I think it's extra important to keep a close eye on spelt dough during the bulk ferment and do your shaping and final proof earlier rather than later.

Of course, this could all be totally bad advice. It's just some observations that I've made from dinking around.

On a side note, my wife has banned me from using the oven until we have more mild weather so my bread baking, cracker making, and general sourdough tomfoolery is on hold.
    I'm gonna try and underproof from now on. But then part of me says "Dam it wait till it gets bigger!". Just need to remember than less is more.

Discovered that the sourdough ciabatta recipe works really well if you let the final "full" proof happen in the fridge overnight, then split the dough in the morning and let the loaves proof for a bit before tossing them in the oven.

Forgot to turn down the oven at the 1/2 way point, so the crust was a wee bit darker than usual.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sourdough-ciabatti-8.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	335803  

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Discovered that the sourdough ciabatta recipe works really well if you let the final "full" proof happen in the fridge overnight, then split the dough in the morning and let the loaves proof for a bit before tossing them in the oven.

Forgot to turn down the oven at the 1/2 way point, so the crust was a wee bit darker than usual.
    pffffffffffffffttttttt! that ain't dark.

Yes, overnight proof in the fridge for the win with sourdough but I divide and shape then put in the fridge.

These are the steps I take for sourdough bread:

DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE DOUGH: Using bench scraper or chef's knife, divide dough in half, each piece weighing about 1 1/2 pounds. Form each half into rough ball, cover loosely with plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel, and let rest 15 minutes. To shape dough, use one hand to push dough against unfloured work surface, using other hand as guide. Goal is to make taught ball without ripping surface. Pinch bottom seam and set each round, seam side down, on separate sheets of parchment paper on dinner plates, rimless cookie sheets, or inverted rimmed baking sheets.

REFRIGERATE THE ROUNDS OVERNIGHT: Spray rounds lightly with nonstick cooking spray and cover loosely but completely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight 8 to 12 hours.

PROOF AND SLASH THE ROUNDS: Remove rounds from refrigerator and gently slide onto room-temperature surface where they can rise undisturbed for several hours; space them at least 6 inches apart. Loosen plastic wrap to allow rounds to rise; let rise until at least doubled in bulk and dough barely springs back when poked with your knuckle, 3 to 4 hours. Meanwhile, after about 2 hours, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Working one at a time, carefully slide rounds on parchment onto baking peel, rimless cookie sheet, or inverted rimmed baking sheet. Using sharp razor blade or knife held at 45-degree angle to work surface, slash surface of rounds 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep.

BAKE THE BREAD: Working quickly, spray loaves with water, slide onto baking stone, and immediately reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees. During first 5 minutes of baking, spray loaves with water 2 additional times; bake until deep golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaves registers about 210 degrees, about 30 minutes total. Transfer loaves to wire rack, discard parchment, and cool loaves to room temperature on wire rack, about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    pffffffffffffffttttttt! that ain't dark.

Yes, overnight proof in the fridge for the win with sourdough but I divide and shape then put in the fridge.

These are the steps I take for sourdough bread:

DIVIDE AND SHAPE THE DOUGH: Using bench scraper or chef's knife, divide dough in half, each piece weighing about 1 1/2 pounds. Form each half into rough ball, cover loosely with plastic wrap or damp kitchen towel, and let rest 15 minutes. To shape dough, use one hand to push dough against unfloured work surface, using other hand as guide. Goal is to make taught ball without ripping surface. Pinch bottom seam and set each round, seam side down, on separate sheets of parchment paper on dinner plates, rimless cookie sheets, or inverted rimmed baking sheets.

REFRIGERATE THE ROUNDS OVERNIGHT: Spray rounds lightly with nonstick cooking spray and cover loosely but completely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight 8 to 12 hours.

PROOF AND SLASH THE ROUNDS: Remove rounds from refrigerator and gently slide onto room-temperature surface where they can rise undisturbed for several hours; space them at least 6 inches apart. Loosen plastic wrap to allow rounds to rise; let rise until at least doubled in bulk and dough barely springs back when poked with your knuckle, 3 to 4 hours. Meanwhile, after about 2 hours, adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees. Working one at a time, carefully slide rounds on parchment onto baking peel, rimless cookie sheet, or inverted rimmed baking sheet. Using sharp razor blade or knife held at 45-degree angle to work surface, slash surface of rounds 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep.

BAKE THE BREAD: Working quickly, spray loaves with water, slide onto baking stone, and immediately reduce oven temperature to 450 degrees. During first 5 minutes of baking, spray loaves with water 2 additional times; bake until deep golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted into center of loaves registers about 210 degrees, about 30 minutes total. Transfer loaves to wire rack, discard parchment, and cool loaves to room temperature on wire rack, about 2 hours.
    This may be why I have concentrated on the ciabatti - yours sounds like a LOT of work.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    This may be why I have concentrated on the ciabatti - yours sounds like a LOT of work.
    Just a lot of explanation. The actual work is not a lot.