Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36
Results 876 to 894 of 894
  1. #876
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kootenays
    Posts
    1,398
    Final rise in the fridge aka retard? That should allow the second loaf to hold better. I do my usual two loaves overnight, and bake them about an hour apart. Don't notice any difference between 1st and 2nd loaf.

  2. #877
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    13,553
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Final rise in the fridge aka retard? That should allow the second loaf to hold better. I do my usual two loaves overnight, and bake them about an hour apart. Don't notice any difference between 1st and 2nd loaf.
    It wasn't very nice to call him names.... J/k

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  3. #878
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,822
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Final rise in the fridge aka retard? That should allow the second loaf to hold better. I do my usual two loaves overnight, and bake them about an hour apart. Don't notice any difference between 1st and 2nd loaf.
    What he said or buy yourself a couple bakers
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  4. #879
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Yeah, I'm thinking to use the fridge for the second loaf. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Or maybe the different length of the final rise isn't an issue. Easy enough to try and find out. That's the nice thing about bread baking. The ingredients are cheap, and these days my time is extremely cheap.

  5. #880
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kootenays
    Posts
    1,398
    Long cool rise develops more flavour, or so they say. Put them both in, rise overnight and then bake them off in the morning. If your time is a cheap as you say it is these days this scheme should work out OK for you.

  6. #881
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,822
    Bread baking day! Saturday White with 10% Whole Wheat (Flour Water Salt Yeast — Ken's Artisan). I can't thank you enough Mr. Mike for turning me onto Ken Forkish and his bread baking ways.

    Name:  10pW.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  239.1 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  7. #882
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Long cool rise develops more flavour, or so they say. Put them both in, rise overnight and then bake them off in the morning. If your time is a cheap as you say it is these days this scheme should work out OK for you.
    The levain for my latest loaves overrose--in the fridge overnight. I've stopped worrying about finding a warm place to proof bread or to feed my starter, since I'm rarely on a deadline.
    And there doesn't to seem to be any difference in how the first and second loaves bake in a dutch oven with the second loaf left at room temperature--which is usually cool in my house, except on sunny winter days. One less thing to worry about.

  8. #883
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,822
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The levain for my latest loaves overrose--in the fridge overnight. I've stopped worrying about finding a warm place to proof bread or to feed my starter, since I'm rarely on a deadline.
    And there doesn't to seem to be any difference in how the first and second loaves bake in a dutch oven with the second loaf left at room temperature--which is usually cool in my house, except on sunny winter days. One less thing to worry about.
    You can keep your starter in the fidge and feed it once a week.

    If you're having issues with drafts or finding a warm spot you can get one of these
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  9. #884
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Hah! My whole house is a draft. I can see through the walls. Front wall is all single pane picture windows. 26 degrees outside the other morning but my bread did pretty well despite the overproofing. It good have been a little more open and rose more in the oven but no disaster. My wife wasn't so lucky--she proofed in a warm over. Her challah rose nicely and then collapsed when she baked. Overproofed I'm sure.
    I tried to buy one of those slow proofers a while back but they were sold out everywhere for a long time. I haven't tried lately because the beauty of slow cool or cold proofing for sourdough is that while it takes 2-3 days there's a lot of free time mixed in and the schedule is very flexible. Or maybe my bread would be better if I were more precise about it.

    Yeah, my starter lives in the fridge and gets fed weekly, usually when I start a batch of bread. If the hooch is light instead of dark I might feed it once or twice extra before I bake. I like the bread as sour as I can get it.

  10. #885
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    So. VT
    Posts
    2,467
    Alright, forgive my ignorance. I've got a healthy starter in the fridge and I want to get a loaf of bread going.

    How do I split the starter, what gets fed, what goes in the bread, what goes in the fridge?

    Pretty sure I've been doing it "wrong", but pizza and bread has been coming out good.

  11. #886
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,822
    Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Alright, forgive my ignorance. I've got a healthy starter in the fridge and I want to get a loaf of bread going.

    How do I split the starter, what gets fed, what goes in the bread, what goes in the fridge?

    Pretty sure I've been doing it "wrong", but pizza and bread has been coming out good.
    My feeding pattern is to save 4oz starter and add 4oz distilled water plus 4 oz flour. I save/use the discard for bread or pancakes/waffles or whatever else I feel like.

    Have you visited King Arthur's site?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  12. #887
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Another vote for the King Arthur site.

    One thing I've been finding is that 6000 ft in the Sierra flour dries out. I have to add extra water to both bread and pie doughs. If I use the standard equal weight of water and flour starter recipe it's like nearly set concrete. I use equal volume water and flour which makes a pretty wet starter but the extra moisture helps the final dough, which is a pretty dry recipe from KA for extra tangy bread. (Maybe the starter was too wet the last time--that could explain the overproof of the levain.

  13. #888
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    305
    It's super hard to find the course, whole meal flour. I like Irish style like Odlums for making real Irish brown bread (the less soda-y kind), like you'd find in all the pubs over there. People say this flour helps keep you more "regular", but I can't touch that. Maybe just more insoluble or soluble fibre? I tastes different too, more depth, I like it better.

    Old Goat, I think King Arthur has a course flour, but I can't find it in Tahoe or Reno. I was hoping that new Raleys would have it. The healthfood stores said they would need to order a big box of them, you'd think they'd have that.

  14. #889
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    It's super hard to find the course, whole meal flour. I like Irish style like Odlums for making real Irish brown bread (the less soda-y kind), like you'd find in all the pubs over there. People say this flour helps keep you more "regular", but I can't touch that. Maybe just more insoluble or soluble fibre? I tastes different too, more depth, I like it better.

    Old Goat, I think King Arthur has a course flour, but I can't find it in Tahoe or Reno. I was hoping that new Raleys would have it. The healthfood stores said they would need to order a big box of them, you'd think they'd have that.
    you try New Moon in Truckee?--they have a lot of unique flours. some even have gluten.

  15. #890
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    19,822
    Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    It's super hard to find the course, whole meal flour. I like Irish style like Odlums for making real Irish brown bread (the less soda-y kind), like you'd find in all the pubs over there. People say this flour helps keep you more "regular", but I can't touch that. Maybe just more insoluble or soluble fibre? I tastes different too, more depth, I like it better.

    Old Goat, I think King Arthur has a course flour, but I can't find it in Tahoe or Reno. I was hoping that new Raleys would have it. The healthfood stores said they would need to order a big box of them, you'd think they'd have that.
    Looks like you can order Odlums online.

    You can buy from the KA site.

    I really like Bob's Red Mill. I use their organic AP flour which keeps my starter happy (really noticed a diff when I switched to organic). KA makes an organic AP that is great for European hearth-style bread (protein 11.8) Stick to protein between 11 and 13.

    Shepherd's grain low gluten flour is what Ken Forkish (Flour Water Salt Yeast) uses at his bakery for bread and pizza dough.



    Bob's Red Mill

    Unbleached White All Purpose Flour = 10-12% Protein

    Organic Unbleached White All Purpose Flour = 10-12% Protein

    Whole Wheat Flour = 13-15% Protein

    Organic Whole Wheat Flour = 13-15% Protein

    Unbleached White Fine Pastry Flour = 8-9% Protein

    Whole Wheat Pastry Flour = 9-11% Protein

    Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour = 9-11% Protein

    Artisan Bread Flour = 12.5-13.5% Protein
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  16. #891
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    7,623
    Anybody bake on their grill? Tried ciabatta today and burned the bottoms...

    Any hints/tips?

  17. #892
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Anybody bake on their grill? Tried ciabatta today and burned the bottoms...

    Any hints/tips?
    Insulatedl baking sheet. I bake oval loaves on a double wall baking sheet on second lowest rack in the oven (with a steam tray above) and the bottoms come out perfectly. The insulated sheet is great for cookies as well--the bottoms are the same as the tops. It's just 2 layers of metal with an airspace between.

  18. #893
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    11,100
    Homemade Naan tonight. Easy as anything. Sugar, yeast, water flour, hog hurt and olive oil…Piping hot cast iron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DF6C0D8-0749-484C-820F-7C28A17CAC6F.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	604.1 KB 
ID:	377361
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  19. #894
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    17,544
    I tried the skillet naan last week. Easy enough but kind of bland. Need a better recipe I guess. At restaurants I usually order onion kulcha instead of naan. Maybe I'll try making that instead.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •