Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Final rise in the fridge aka retard? That should allow the second loaf to hold better. I do my usual two loaves overnight, and bake them about an hour apart. Don't notice any difference between 1st and 2nd loaf.
    It wasn't very nice to call him names.... J/k

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Final rise in the fridge aka retard? That should allow the second loaf to hold better. I do my usual two loaves overnight, and bake them about an hour apart. Don't notice any difference between 1st and 2nd loaf.
    What he said or buy yourself a couple bakers
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Yeah, I'm thinking to use the fridge for the second loaf. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Or maybe the different length of the final rise isn't an issue. Easy enough to try and find out. That's the nice thing about bread baking. The ingredients are cheap, and these days my time is extremely cheap.

Long cool rise develops more flavour, or so they say. Put them both in, rise overnight and then bake them off in the morning. If your time is a cheap as you say it is these days this scheme should work out OK for you.

Bread baking day! Saturday White with 10% Whole Wheat (Flour Water Salt Yeast — Ken's Artisan). I can't thank you enough Mr. Mike for turning me onto Ken Forkish and his bread baking ways.

Name:  10pW.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  239.1 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Long cool rise develops more flavour, or so they say. Put them both in, rise overnight and then bake them off in the morning. If your time is a cheap as you say it is these days this scheme should work out OK for you.
    The levain for my latest loaves overrose--in the fridge overnight. I've stopped worrying about finding a warm place to proof bread or to feed my starter, since I'm rarely on a deadline.
    And there doesn't to seem to be any difference in how the first and second loaves bake in a dutch oven with the second loaf left at room temperature--which is usually cool in my house, except on sunny winter days. One less thing to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The levain for my latest loaves overrose--in the fridge overnight. I've stopped worrying about finding a warm place to proof bread or to feed my starter, since I'm rarely on a deadline.
    And there doesn't to seem to be any difference in how the first and second loaves bake in a dutch oven with the second loaf left at room temperature--which is usually cool in my house, except on sunny winter days. One less thing to worry about.
    You can keep your starter in the fidge and feed it once a week.

If you're having issues with drafts or finding a warm spot you can get one of these

Hah! My whole house is a draft. I can see through the walls. Front wall is all single pane picture windows. 26 degrees outside the other morning but my bread did pretty well despite the overproofing. It good have been a little more open and rose more in the oven but no disaster. My wife wasn't so lucky--she proofed in a warm over. Her challah rose nicely and then collapsed when she baked. Overproofed I'm sure.
    I tried to buy one of those slow proofers a while back but they were sold out everywhere for a long time. I haven't tried lately because the beauty of slow cool or cold proofing for sourdough is that while it takes 2-3 days there's a lot of free time mixed in and the schedule is very flexible. Or maybe my bread would be better if I were more precise about it.

Yeah, my starter lives in the fridge and gets fed weekly, usually when I start a batch of bread. If the hooch is light instead of dark I might feed it once or twice extra before I bake. I like the bread as sour as I can get it.

Alright, forgive my ignorance. I've got a healthy starter in the fridge and I want to get a loaf of bread going.

How do I split the starter, what gets fed, what goes in the bread, what goes in the fridge?

Pretty sure I've been doing it "wrong", but pizza and bread has been coming out good.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Alright, forgive my ignorance. I've got a healthy starter in the fridge and I want to get a loaf of bread going.

How do I split the starter, what gets fed, what goes in the bread, what goes in the fridge?

Pretty sure I've been doing it "wrong", but pizza and bread has been coming out good.
    My feeding pattern is to save 4oz starter and add 4oz distilled water plus 4 oz flour. I save/use the discard for bread or pancakes/waffles or whatever else I feel like.

Have you visited King Arthur's site?

Another vote for the King Arthur site.

One thing I've been finding is that 6000 ft in the Sierra flour dries out. I have to add extra water to both bread and pie doughs. If I use the standard equal weight of water and flour starter recipe it's like nearly set concrete. I use equal volume water and flour which makes a pretty wet starter but the extra moisture helps the final dough, which is a pretty dry recipe from KA for extra tangy bread. (Maybe the starter was too wet the last time--that could explain the overproof of the levain.

It's super hard to find the course, whole meal flour. I like Irish style like Odlums for making real Irish brown bread (the less soda-y kind), like you'd find in all the pubs over there. People say this flour helps keep you more "regular", but I can't touch that. Maybe just more insoluble or soluble fibre? I tastes different too, more depth, I like it better.

Old Goat, I think King Arthur has a course flour, but I can't find it in Tahoe or Reno. I was hoping that new Raleys would have it. The healthfood stores said they would need to order a big box of them, you'd think they'd have that.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    It's super hard to find the course, whole meal flour. I like Irish style like Odlums for making real Irish brown bread (the less soda-y kind), like you'd find in all the pubs over there. People say this flour helps keep you more "regular", but I can't touch that. Maybe just more insoluble or soluble fibre? I tastes different too, more depth, I like it better.

Old Goat, I think King Arthur has a course flour, but I can't find it in Tahoe or Reno. I was hoping that new Raleys would have it. The healthfood stores said they would need to order a big box of them, you'd think they'd have that.
    you try New Moon in Truckee?--they have a lot of unique flours. some even have gluten.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post

Looks like you can order Odlums online.

You can buy from the KA site.

I really like Bob's Red Mill. I use their organic AP flour which keeps my starter happy (really noticed a diff when I switched to organic). KA makes an organic AP that is great for European hearth-style bread (protein 11.8) Stick to protein between 11 and 13.

Shepherd's grain low gluten flour is what Ken Forkish (Flour Water Salt Yeast) uses at his bakery for bread and pizza dough.

Bob's Red Mill

Unbleached White All Purpose Flour = 10-12% Protein

Organic Unbleached White All Purpose Flour = 10-12% Protein

Whole Wheat Flour = 13-15% Protein

Organic Whole Wheat Flour = 13-15% Protein

Unbleached White Fine Pastry Flour = 8-9% Protein

Whole Wheat Pastry Flour = 9-11% Protein

Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour = 9-11% Protein

Artisan Bread Flour = 12.5-13.5% Protein

Anybody bake on their grill? Tried ciabatta today and burned the bottoms...

Any hints/tips?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Anybody bake on their grill? Tried ciabatta today and burned the bottoms...

Any hints/tips?
    Insulatedl baking sheet. I bake oval loaves on a double wall baking sheet on second lowest rack in the oven (with a steam tray above) and the bottoms come out perfectly. The insulated sheet is great for cookies as well--the bottoms are the same as the tops. It's just 2 layers of metal with an airspace between.

Homemade Naan tonight. Easy as anything. Sugar, yeast, water flour, hog hurt and olive oil…Piping hot cast iron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DF6C0D8-0749-484C-820F-7C28A17CAC6F.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	604.1 KB 
ID:	377361
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I tried the skillet naan last week. Easy enough but kind of bland. Need a better recipe I guess. At restaurants I usually order onion kulcha instead of naan. Maybe I'll try making that instead.

Man... my starter is LOVING this summer for whatever reason. Supposed to cool off on Thursday, so I'm prep'ing to bake a shitload of ciabatti.
    Name:  sourdough4.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  115.1 KB

Man... my starter is LOVING this summer for whatever reason. Supposed to cool off on Thursday, so I'm prep'ing to bake a shitload of ciabatti.
    Name:  sourdough4.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  115.1 KB
    I'm about ready to start baking again myself. Highs in the mid-70s for the next couple of days. Woot!

(2nd best thread in the PR)

Holy shit. Made a double batch for some traveling loaves... and may be the best yet. I modified my technique a bit and MAN did these come out simply outstanding.

Name:  sourdough-ciabatti-13.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  150.3 KB

Holy shit. Made a double batch for some traveling loaves... and may be the best yet. I modified my technique a bit and MAN did these come out simply outstanding.

Name:  sourdough-ciabatti-13.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  150.3 KB
    Beautiful!

How to Revive Stale Bread
    Bread stales due to a process called retrogradation, but it can be reversed—temporarily.

The staling of bread and other starch-based foods is due to a process called retrogradation. In the bread-making process, water hydrates the starches in the flour and then, as the loaf bakes, the starches gelatinize and soften. Over time, the starches in that baked loaf crystallize and incorporate water into the crystalline structure, leading to an apparently dry, stale loaf. The good news is that the water doesn’t travel very far: Most of it remains trapped within the starch crystals. This proximity makes the retrogradation process reversible, at least for a little while.

Toasting slices of bread is one way to release water from the starch crystals and thus revive the bread. But what if you want to reverse the staling of an entire loaf? That requires a more gentle touch because in order to avoid water loss due to evaporation, you need to gradually heat the entire loaf to the gelation point (about 140 degrees)—but without heating it to the boiling point of water (212 degrees). In addition, with drier crusty breads like baguettes and boules, you also need to supply water to the exterior of the loaf to ensure that all the starches can properly soften.

HERE'S OUR METHOD: If the bread is crusty, briefly pass it under a running faucet of cold water (for softer loaves, skip this step). Wrap the loaf tightly with aluminum foil, place it on the middle rack of a cold oven, and set the temperature to 300 degrees. After about 30 minutes (15 to 20 minutes for small or narrow loaves like baguettes), remove the foil and return the loaf to the oven for about 5 more minutes to crisp up the crust.

But note that because reheating a stale loaf doesn’t free the starches to move around the way that they can in a just-baked loaf, they recrystallize much more quickly. The effect lasts for only a few hours or so, so make sure to serve or use your revived bread immediately.

The weather is starting to cool and I can resume my weekly baking of a loaf of bread.

This one is 70% AP, 15% Rye, 15% Spelt. I've found that spelt makes the loaf prone to collapsing if over proofed. Rye doesn't help, so I tried to focus on not letting this one proof too much. It still ended up with a bit of a weak structure when I shaped it prior to the final rise and the shape ended up a little wonky out of the oven but the flavor is perfect.

Name:	PXL_20210825_135015875.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	383510

Name:	PXL_20210825_140038753.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	383511
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	106 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	383508   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	383509  
    Last edited by Buke; 08-25-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Try to fix photo orientation

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    The weather is starting to cool and I can resume my weekly baking of a loaf of bread.

This one is 70% AP, 15% Rye, 15% Spelt. I've found that spelt makes the loaf prone to collapsing if over proofed. Rye doesn't help, so I tried to focus on not letting this one proof too much. It still ended up with a bit of a weak structure when I shaped it prior to the final rise and the shape ended up a little wonky out of the oven but the flavor is perfect.

Views:	152 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	383509

Views:	106 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	383508
    You are far too critical. That is a beautiful loaf.