Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Is that chocolate? looks awesome whatever it is.
    Yep --

Ingredients:

50g rye-based unfed starter + 80g bread flour + 20g rye + 100g water for levain
    400g water
    475g white + 25g dark rye
    40g cocoa
    12g salt
    130g chocolate chips
    tsp of vanilla extract
    40g of dark molasses

Recipe:

Produce levain overnight
    1hr autolyse (levain + 380 water + flour + cocoa powder)
    Add salt + 20g water + molasses + vanilla. Mix.
    Stretch and fold (a la FWSY) method, 4? folds over 3 hrs. Adding chips before 3rd fold.
    Bulk ferment ~6hr at room temp.
    Shape, relatively quick 2nd prove (40min). Baked in cast iron @475 for 32min with lid on, 10min lid off.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Funny, I also ended up with a bag of bleached white generic flour and baked with it a couple days ago. I can't say that I got no oven spring, and I did over proof a little but it's definitely not as active as the good flour I've been using. Luckily, some friends were at Costco a couple days ago and they were back in stock with the 2 pack 10# bag of Organic Unbleached AP Flour that I've been using. At roughly $0.50/# it's affordable and produces good results.

I did run out of Rye flour though so I'm going to have to run to the grocery store sooner rather than later. While I'm there I'm hoping that I can find some good quality bread flour. My daughter requested baguettes (after I bought one at a local bakery) so my next mission is to figure out how to make a good petite baguette. They've always intimidated me.

Also, no that I'm probably going to be stuck at home for another month, I'm hoping to practice my scoring technique. This video was pretty impressive. I don't see myself going crazy like this but some extra decoration can't hurt.

Beautiful^^^

Saw this in the high end store yesterday, figured WTF.

Anyone care to gave a yey or ney?

Red Star Instant Sourdough?

Name:  41lSNNXesDL.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  18.3 KB
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

hi!

I made a full 1/2 kg boule yesterday and got no ovenspring. It was about an inch high. I tossed the whole thing. I hope that is because I overproofed and not what I can expect to see from the 25 lb bag of generic kroger flour Ann bought because it was literally the only flour at the grocery. If so, I'm gonna have to toss that whole bag and kill someone for some King Arthur. I think that was the first full loaf I did with the generic. I did find a regular bag of KA wheat flour this morning at Kroger, so maybe there is hope.
    Funny, I also ended up with a bag of bleached white generic flour and baked with it a couple days ago. I can't say that I got no oven spring, and I did over proof a little but it's definitely not as active as the good flour I've been using. Luckily, some friends were at Costco a couple days ago and they were back in stock with the 2 pack 10# bag of Organic Unbleached AP Flour that I've been using. At roughly $0.50/# it's affordable and produces good results.

I did run out of Rye flour though so I'm going to have to run to the grocery store sooner rather than later. While I'm there I'm hoping that I can find some good quality bread flour. My daughter requested baguettes (after I bought one at a local bakery) so my next mission is to figure out how to make a good petite baguette. They've always intimidated me. I'm thinking I'll use a high protein bread flour and bake on the steel with a lasagna pan as a lid for first half of the bake.

Also, now that I'm probably going to be stuck at home for another month, I'm hoping to practice my scoring technique. This video was pretty impressive. I don't see myself going crazy like this but some extra decoration can't hurt.

I've had some success with this method for baguettes from the Tartine book.

Put stone in oven, preheat to 500 for at least 30 minutes. While oven is preheating, put a rimmed baking sheet in there into which you have placed soaked (wet) kitchen towels. This builds up a lot of steam in the oven. Bake baguettes on the stone for about 20 minutes turning oven down to 475 when you put them in. After 20 minutes take the baking tray out because towels are probably dry or close to it. Cook for another 10-20 minutes checking every few minutes when you get to 10.

That baguette recipe uses a poolish too. So mix that up, let it go for 3-4 hours, then mix with leaven and flour to make your basic dough.

I scored 2 5-lb bags of King Arthur all purpose white last weekend so good to go for a while.

I've had some success with this method for baguettes from the Tartine book.

Put stone in oven, preheat to 500 for at least 30 minutes. While oven is preheating, put a rimmed baking sheet in there into which you have placed soaked (wet) kitchen towels. This builds up a lot of steam in the oven. Bake baguettes on the stone for about 20 minutes turning oven down to 475 when you put them in. After 20 minutes take the baking tray out because towels are probably dry or close to it. Cook for another 10-20 minutes checking every few minutes when you get to 10.

That baguette recipe uses a poolish too. So mix that up, let it go for 3-4 hours, then mix with leaven and flour to make your basic dough.

I scored 2 5-lb bags of King Arthur all purpose white last weekend so good to go for a while.
    Nice, I'll give that method a try. What do you use for hydration percentages and flour for baguettes? My copy of Tartine had to go back to the library...

I have 10 pounds of organic APF on hand but I’m trying to stretch it and try something new

and since my usual sources were out of my usual flour I bought 5# of barley flour and 5# of spelt flour because they were the cheapest organic options

I probably won’t get too scientific with my ratios and I’m sure The Beast will thrive

I might even try selling a few loaves here in my small isolated mountain town

I wanted to do a community sourdough event - give away starter and teach how to use it, but that will have to be an online course now I guess
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Nice, I'll give that method a try. What do you use for hydration percentages and flour for baguettes? My copy of Tartine had to go back to the library...
    Full recipe is 400g leaven, 500g water, 400g poolish, 650g all purpose, 350g bread flour, 24g salt. I made a 1/3 of that recipe last week and got 4 9-10 inch baguettes out of of it.

Quarantine bread - 1st attempt at a sourdough...

Followed the "recipe" below except where we couldn't. No dutch oven = large cast iron pan with a SS mixing bowl over the top, and a baking stone on the rack above/no bread flour = AP flour + a little extra gluten... etc.

Perfect Loaf - Beginner's Sourdough/

Very chewy crust, overall delicious.

Pics may have to wait, can't seem to add attachments at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Quarantine bread - 1st attempt at a sourdough...

Followed the "recipe" below except where we couldn't. No dutch oven = large cast iron pan with a SS mixing bowl over the top, and a baking stone on the rack above/no bread flour = AP flour + a little extra gluten... etc.

Perfect Loaf - Beginner's Sourdough/

Very chewy crust, overall delicious.

Pics may have to wait, can't seem to add attachments at the moment.
    A+ for creativity. I would have been skeptical that the mixing bowl would hold the heat/steam adequately, but glad it did the job.

We also did a pan of boiling water in the oven just to humidify the air in general. Pulled the water and the bowl/lid at 20 minutes.

Pic uploads seem to be working now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200405_161407.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	324231

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Beautiful^^^

Saw this in the high end store yesterday, figured WTF.

Anyone care to gave a yey or ney?

Red Star Instant Sourdough?

Name:  41lSNNXesDL.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  18.3 KB
    Looks like the only complaints on Amazon is price. Lots of rave reviews for the product.

Let us know how it turns out.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    We also did a pan of boiling water in the oven just to humidify the air in general. Pulled the water and the bowl/lid at 20 minutes.

Pic uploads seem to be working now!

Name:	IMG_20200405_161407.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	324231
    That looks great!

From a local farm (they farm just a little over 2 acres with horses)

Hayshaker Farm

Here’s an idea of what to make with some of the things you got in your box this week: spinach and goat cheese galettes. Galette is crêpe’s savory sister, traditionally made with 100% buckwheat flour it is naturally gluten free. There are a variety of different recipes out there, but you can basically make traditional galettes by just mixing buckwheat flour, salt and water. I like to add a couple of eggs, and use beer and milk as part of the liquid, you can also add a little oil or melted butter.

I usually eye ball all measurements and make batter by feel, but here’s a good basic recipe for ratios:
    2 c. flour
    1 tsp salt
    4 1/2 c. water/milk/beer mix
    1 Tbsp melted butter
    (If using egg, sub as part of your liquid)

Mix flour, salt, eggs until smooth and gradually add your liquid while mixing to avoid getting any lumps, mix well. Add melted butter. You can always add a little extra liquid if batter is to thick, depending on your flour, only way to know is to try frying one! Fry them in a hot pan brushed with a little vegetable oil or melted butter, poor a small amount of batter in the center (1/4c for a 9”pan) and swirl it around to cover the pan, fry about 1min on each side.
    Filling is made of sautéed spinach, shallots and peppers, add fresh goat cheese and a fried egg on top.

Bon app’! ��

I went ahead and gave baguettes a go this weekend. I used the wet towel method to produce steam that Mike mentioned. I've got a lot to improve on. I followed the 32hr sourdough baguette recipe from thefreshloaf (http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/198...know-one-bread).

They kind of collapsed in the oven instead of springing up (maybe overproofed, or maybe it's that crappy bleached AP flour that I'm trying to get rid of).

My kids came running in when they came out of the oven and we ended up eating an entire demi-baguette within 10 minutes of the things coming out of the oven. Then my 9 year old asked if I could make these everytime we run out. At the rate that they eat I'll be making them every 2 days. Needless to say, the flavor was good. Of course, being under COVID lockdown, I guess I can make them everyday.

I think I'll try the Tartine recipe/method next.

Name:	IMG_20200405_133904860.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	324301

Name:	IMG_20200405_134018500.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	324302

those look pretty damned good to me. Do you ship?

those look pretty damned good to me. Do you ship?
    Hah, the pics are deceiving. They kind of collapsed in the oven so they're a little flat like you see in the cut section. Flavor was good though and the process in that recipe was brain dead simple. Just do a 12 hour autolyse in the fridge overnight while the levain build and gets ripe. Mix together in the morning and do a few stretch and folds for a few hours while you cook breakfast/eat/clean up and then throw it in the fridge. The next day you pull it out, let it warm up on the counter for a couple horus and then shape it and let it rest for an hour to get the final proof. It was really hands off and with the dough spending so much time in the fridge there's a lot of opportunity to adjust the timing.

When things go back to normal and I have less time to bake I'll probably start experimenting with putting the dough in the fridge to help fit things into my schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Hah, the pics are deceiving. They kind of collapsed in the oven so they're a little flat like you see in the cut section.
    Just start referring to them as mini-ciabatti.

Here's another baguette recipe to try/glean from if you're interested:

Authentic Baguettes at Home
    Makes 4 baguettes (Each 15 inches long)

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

For a homemade baguette that rivals the best from Parisian boulangeries, we took a trip to France to learn firsthand what it takes. The problem with most published recipes, we discovered, is that all the small details that matter are glossed over. For an authentic wheaty flavor, we add a bit of whole-wheat flour (sifted to remove some of the larger pieces of bran that would otherwise add bitterness and make the loaf dense) to the white flour. We also added (optional) diastatic malt, an enzyme naturally present in flour that converts starches to sugars and is often added to long-fermented doughs to ensure a caramelized, well-browned crust. Mixing the dough in a machine and then using a series of gentle folds to develop the dough creates the perfect tender, irregular internal crumb. Next we employ a long, slow rise in the refrigerator, which delivers the complex flavor of fermentation while making the recipe flexible, since we can bake the loaves anytime within a three-day window. To shape the loaves perfectly without overworking the dough, we employ a multistep approach that gradually transforms them into baguettes. Finally, we ensure a crispy, crackly crust by moistening the couche, the pleated linen cloth that holds the loaves as they proof, and by starting the loaves beneath a pair of upturned disposable roasting pans to trap steam as it evaporates from the exterior of the dough.

INGREDIENTS

¼ cup (1 1/3 ounces)
    whole-wheat flour

3 cups (15 ounces) King Arthur
    all-purpose flour

1 ½ teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast

1 teaspoon diastatic malt powder (optional)

1 ½ cups (12 ounces) room-temperature water

2 (16 by 12-inch) disposable aluminum roasting pans

BEFORE YOU BEGIN
    If you can’t find King Arthur all-purpose flour, substitute bread flour. For best results, weigh your ingredients. This recipe makes enough dough for four loaves, which can be baked anytime during the 24- to 72-hour window after placing the dough in the fridge.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Sift whole-wheat flour through fine-mesh strainer into bowl of stand mixer; discard bran remaining in strainer. Add all-purpose flour, salt, yeast, and malt powder, if using, to mixer bowl. Fit stand mixer with dough hook, add water, and knead on low speed until cohesive dough forms and no dry flour remains, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer dough to lightly oiled large bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Holding edge of dough with your fingertips, fold dough over itself by gently lifting and folding edge of dough toward center. Turn bowl 45 degrees; fold again. Turn bowl and fold dough 6 more times (total of 8 folds). Cover with plastic and let rise for 30 minutes. Repeat folding and rising every 30 minutes, 3 more times. After fourth set of folds, cover bowl tightly with plastic and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 72 hours.

3. Transfer dough to lightly floured counter, pat into 8-inch square (do not deflate), and divide in half. Return 1 piece of dough to container, wrap tightly with plastic, and refrigerate (dough can be shaped and baked anytime within 72-hour window). Divide remaining dough in half crosswise, transfer to lightly floured rimmed baking sheet, and cover loosely with plastic. Let rest for 45 minutes.

4. On lightly floured counter, roll each piece of dough into loose 3- to 4-inch-long cylinder; return to floured baking sheet and cover with plastic. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.

5. Lightly mist underside of couche with water, drape over inverted baking sheet, and dust with flour. Gently press 1 piece of dough into 6 by 4-inch rectangle on lightly floured counter, with long edge facing you. Fold upper quarter of dough toward center and press gently to seal. Rotate dough 180 degrees and repeat folding step to form 8 by 2-inch rectangle.

6. Fold dough in half toward you, using thumb of your other hand to create crease along center of dough, sealing with heel of your hand as you work your way along the loaf. Without pressing down on loaf, use heel of your hand to reinforce seal (do not seal ends of loaf).

7. Cup your hand over center of dough and roll dough back and forth gently to tighten (it should form dog-bone shape).

8. Starting at center of dough and working toward ends, gently and evenly roll and stretch dough until it measures 15 inches long by 1 1/4 inches wide. Moving your hands in opposite directions, use back and forth motion to roll ends of loaf under your palms to form sharp points.

9. Transfer dough to floured couche, seam side up. On either side of loaf, pinch edges of couche into pleat, then cover loosely with large plastic garbage bag.

10. Repeat steps 4 through 9 with second piece of dough and place on opposite side of pleat. Fold edges of couche over loaves to cover completely, then carefully place sheet inside bag, and tie or fold under to enclose.

11. Let stand until loaves have nearly doubled in size and dough springs back minimally when poked gently with your fingertip, 45 to 60 minutes. While bread rises, adjust oven rack to middle position, place baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 500 degrees.

12. Line pizza peel with 16 by 12-inch piece of parchment paper with long edge perpendicular to handle. Unfold couche, pulling from ends to remove pleats. Gently pushing with side of flipping board, roll 1 loaf over, away from other loaf, so it is seam side down. Using your hand, hold long edge of flipping board between loaf and couche at 45-degree angle, then lift couche with your other hand and flip loaf seam side up onto board.

13. Invert loaf onto parchment-lined peel, seam side down, about 2 inches from long edge of parchment, then use flipping board to straighten loaf. Repeat with remaining loaf, leaving at least 3 inches between loaves.

14. Holding lame concave side up at 30-degree angle to loaf, make series of three 4-inch long, 1/2-inch-deep slashes along length of loaf, using swift, fluid motion, overlapping each slash slightly. Repeat with second loaf.

15. Transfer loaves, on parchment, to baking stone, cover with stacked inverted disposable pans, and bake for 5 minutes. Carefully remove pans and bake until loaves are evenly browned, 12 to 15 minutes longer, rotating parchment halfway through baking. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Consume within 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Looks like the only complaints on Amazon is price. Lots of rave reviews for the product.

Let us know how it turns out.

Couldn't figure that one out. It was $ 1.59 at the yuppie store and like 5 buck on Amazon.

Finishing up a loaf of Zucchini bread before I have a try with that stuff, let ya know.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Woot! Scored 10 lbs of Bob's Organic AP flour at the store today! Made the hassle of it all worth it (kind of).

TODAY at 11am PT / 2pm ET on Facebook Live, don't miss The Isolation Baking Show with Gesine and Jeffrey! This week, Jeffrey Hamelman will be baking Vermont Sourdough and Gesine Bullock-Prado will be making Sourdough Crumpets.

Follow along with the recipes, and we'll see you when we go live!
    https://bakewith.us/kslfw
    https://bakewith.us/zykef

I have been baking my sourdough loafs in a Dutch oven and and am interested in trying to make some baguettes but do not have a baking stone. Any suggestions or should I hold off?
    Last edited by John_B; 04-10-2020 at 12:45 PM.