Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Grow op. Duh.
    LOL!!! Would need some serious rewiring - still has knob and tube <shutter>

Gear swap
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    (the "silver palace" sits back further (north) and to the west).
    I believe he referred to it as Sliver Palace, not Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Your area is becoming a serious wine destination. Restoration would add charm winos want. But, I'm wondering how having the fancy modern barn affects the aesthetic value of a restored barn on the same property?

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    I believe he referred to it as Sliver Palace, not Silver.
    LOL! Slivers it is but I was thinking of how the wood had weathered.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Your area is becoming a serious wine destination. Restoration would add charm winos want. But, I'm wondering how having the fancy modern barn affects the aesthetic value of a restored barn on the same property?
    Again they are not that close and the old one has other outbuildings/a home around it. Two different properties per lot lines but absent fences yeah, looks like one (started with 20 acres then bought 2 10s and another 20 that abut the original land purchase).

Saving the barn would be like preserving the area history as most of the original farm land has been parceled off 10 acres at time and each now has single family home on it. I've rec'd quite a few "thank-you's" from old time locals who are happy to see someone bringing the land back together for farming rather than chopping it up.

Down the road from me there was a HUGE old barn of some architectural significance that was in bad need of repair. I use to dream of restoring it and turning it into a winery but the owners tore it down and sold it for old barn wood. Made me sad in the pants.
    Last edited by KQ; 01-11-2016 at 03:03 PM.

i'm guessing the kind of romantic notion of a barn restoration probably costs double of what a functional rehab might

or

just square the structure with cable bracing or sheathing in strategic locations and re-side it
    and make sure the post foundations are safe and intact (like steepconcrete's comment abv)

I think old buildings are cool in part because it's a way to remember where we came from and gives a cultural identity.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Summer and winter strip clubs

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i'm guessing the kind of romantic notion of a barn restoration probably costs double of what a functional rehab might

or

just square the structure with cable bracing or sheathing in strategic locations and re-side it
    and make sure the post foundations are safe and intact (like steepconcrete's comment abv)
    Yeah, just got off the phone with my contractor. He's going to come out and look at it again and see what, if anything, we should do to make sure the structure is sound until the next grant cycle rolls around in 2017. I'd hate to have it fall down before then but I guess even that wouldn't disqualify me from getting funds.

I think old buildings are cool in part because it's a way to remember where we came from and gives a cultural identity.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Def. be nippy this time of year.

How's Bluewood skiing?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

land baron...

How's Bluewood skiing?
    Oh man - best year since 2008. Crazy amount of snow (for Bluewood)! So happy for them too, they really needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    land baron...

The real question is, do you paint it black or got with a funky pattern?
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Why paint it black of course

Looks like a shed to me. A nice sheep shed. It won't be worth any less if it falls down and barns/sheds fall slowly IME. And almost never fall if the roof and foundation are kept up. I had a different picture in my mind when I read "Barn" in your title and was going to suggest you add a door, some windows, power and plumbing and sell it to somebody as a house. That's what someone did with a barn built in 1842. Then they sold it to me my new bride.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    You can call the club "Ho down"

No expert on building stuff, but if the roof is sound and there are some good wood on the side- what about forgoing the matching grant, seeing what the shoring up of the foundation would be and think about options for either selling the existing wood off the sides (since it is in demand) and use that money towards the repairs and putting up new wood on the side(s) that need it... Could always try and match the walls of the new barn and just reuse the roof and timbers etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    i like the old ship camo jobs designed to break up the visual mass at a distance...always thought they were very cool & quirky

Restore it, make it a yoga retreat, crazy pants only.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Don't square the building unless you want to replace the roof. That tin won't handle being moved all the nail holes become bigger and it leaks

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Looks like a shed to me. A nice sheep shed. It won't be worth any less if it falls down and barns/sheds fall slowly IME. And almost never fall if the roof and foundation are kept up. I had a different picture in my mind when I read "Barn" in your title and was going to suggest you add a door, some windows, power and plumbing and sell it to somebody as a house. That's what someone did with a barn built in 1842. Then they sold it to me my new bride.

Well that's pretty darn cool - that pic looks old. Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Badda Bing!

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    No expert on building stuff, but if the roof is sound and there are some good wood on the side- what about forgoing the matching grant, seeing what the shoring up of the foundation would be and think about options for either selling the existing wood off the sides (since it is in demand) and use that money towards the repairs and putting up new wood on the side(s) that need it... Could always try and match the walls of the new barn and just reuse the roof and timbers etc.
    Interesting. See, this is something I wouldn't have thought of which is why I come here and pose these questions. You guys are a wealth of information and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    i like the old ship camo jobs designed to break up the visual mass at a distance...always thought they were very cool & quirky

I was just looking at some pics of all the ships they sunk in Mallows Bay and saw this kind of paint job for the first time - very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Restore it, make it a yoga retreat, crazy pants only.
    Don't think I haven't thought of building something that could double as a yoga studio.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Don't square the building unless you want to replace the roof. That tin won't handle being moved all the nail holes become bigger and it leaks
    Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    X2, it was probably not square when constructed and has had 100 years to assume its current position.

If its leaning hard, you can cable it to keep gravity from winning.

Otherwise, just shore up the foundation and keep the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    Pole Barn?

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I suspect you could put up a pretty serviceable shed/quonset for way less than the horse palace and probably less than fixing the old barn up. Plus you could likely realize some gains from wood salvage as mentioned. My sister built an awesome place and the main floor is all reclaimed and planed 100 year old elm barn board. That barn is old but beyond that I don't see any architectural uniqueness worth saving from that run down state. A cool unique barn maybe, a semi kept up barn too. i just don't seeing putting money into that.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Keep it, sheep yoga is the next thing.
    watch out for snakes