Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Bright future for fat fucks

This year, scientists are planning to trial an unappetizing-sounding weight-loss method: 20 obese patients will be given a daily pill containing a couple of grams of someone else’s freeze-dried fecal matter.
    Researchers, led by Elaine Yu, an assistant professor and clinical researcher at Massachusetts General Hospital, will use the clinical trial to study whether fecal samples taken from healthy donors can help obese patients lose weight.

They should supply the patients with breath mints, too.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Is this the reason salad tossing gay men are always skinny ?

What's the thought, that it's a bacterial imbalance?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    There's plenty of shit (pun intended) in the literature about this topic:

http://www.nature.com/ajgsup/journal...sup20125a.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-fat-and-thin/
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Fat fucks eat so much shit they might as well eat actual shit.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    There's plenty of shit (pun intended) in the literature about this topic:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-fat-and-thin/
    Yup.

An early hint that gut microbes might play a role in obesity came from studies comparing intestinal bacteria in obese and lean individuals. In studies of twins who were both lean or both obese, researchers found that the gut community in lean people was like a rain forest brimming with many species but that the community in obese people was less diverse—more like a nutrient-overloaded pond where relatively few species dominate. Lean individuals, for example, tended to have a wider variety of Bacteroidetes, a large tribe of microbes that specialize in breaking down bulky plant starches and fibers into shorter molecules that the body can use as a source of energy.
    C-section deliveries, infant formula, highly processed foods....

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Good piece from The New Yorker from a year or so ago: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ent-experiment

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    C-section deliveries, infant formula, highly processed foods....
    Antibiotics, antibacterials in tons of products, handwashes (i.e. Purell)...and kids who barely go outside any more. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Antibiotics, antibacterials in tons of products, handwashes (i.e. Purell)...and kids who barely go outside any more. etc. etc.
    I wonder if the lack of anti-biotics I avoided having to take over the years has allowed me to maintain a Amazon rainforest of diversity in my intestines. I seem to be able to eat whatever the hell I want and I sit at a desk all day and yet I maintain a weight of 185lbs (+/-2 pounds, additionally I'm 6'4").
    My colon evacuates its contents every morning between 8:45 and 9:15. Often, the previous evenings dinner is detectable. Either my body apparently doesn't bother holding on to what it feels like it doesn't need or I have a some super bacteria in there that really help move things along.
    TMI?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That makes more sense to me than anything having to do with c section delivery or feeding infants formula if we're trying to explain limited bacterial exposure in kids.

What I don't understand is how the shit pills are supposed to make people lose weight. I understand the correlation between gut microbes and obesity, but isn't the causal mechanism likely to be bad diet => bad microbes and also bad diet => unhealthy weight?

The idea is that the microbes are necessary for healthy processing of food and either they never get a chance to colonize the gut in the first place or they get killed off later on. Vaginal birth exposes the up-to-then sterile baby to a lot of microbes so c-sections are (or at at least are thought to be) part of the whole dealio. Bad diet is kind of ancillary.

James might benefit from eating shit, in short.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    The issue is that the bad diet-unhealthy weight connection is actually not as strong as most of you think it is. It's one small part, and we are learning it's smaller and smaller every year, of a constellation of conditions that manifest themselves as obesity. These include gut microbia, insulin reactions, liver function, overall metabolic activity, plus a variety of unusual conditions/disease processes some genetic some the result of environmental trauma, all or some of which work in various people in various ways.

If somebody is dumb enough to think that obesity is a definite sign of "eating too much and being a fat fuck" that person is simply dumb as a brick. That's only one possible conclusion an educated person would reach. How your body creates, stores and then uses fat is about as complex as figuring out why a particular river behaves the way it does.
    Why don't you stick to lawyering, guy.

I hope I haven't offended any fat fucks on TGR with the thread title.

Bright future for fat fucks

Disclaimer: I'm a PA and I work in bariatric surgery.

Resources listed are good ones.

Basically, though, skinny people and obese people have different gut biomes.

When someone has a gastric bypass, their gut biome changes drastically over the first 6-9 months of the operation away from that of an obese person and to that of a skinny person.

When you take stool samples or gut biopsies of Poor responders - people that don't lose weight like they should after a weight loss surgery - they almost invariably have retained that obese gut biome.

So yeah. An obese person Taking pills of shit from a skinny person actually has potential to work. Unclear what the scale of the results (how much weight loss) and the durability of those results will be.

But that's a pretty innocuous treatment. So if there's any chance of it working, it's worth a try. Especially considering that millions of weight loss surgeries are performed every year and people are still happy to pay a lot of money for newer weight loss pills that are getting 5-10% of excess weight off in 1 year.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I wonder how valuable my shit is?
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Your a dentist and we know it.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I wonder how valuable my shit is?
    that depends
    watch out for snakes

He should start saving it. You're flushing a fortune down the toilet, NEK!

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    but isn't the causal mechanism likely to be bad diet => bad microbes and also bad diet => unhealthy weight?
    However it becomes established, once that "fat" microbiome is entrenched simply switching to a good/better diet won't necessarily change it to a "lean" microbiome. Most of the time you probably need to inoculate with the good bugs too. Also, fecal transplants are gaining ground as a treatment for C. diff. infections. There have been documented cases where previously lean individuals were given transplants from overweight donors and subsequently became chronically overweight.

http://ofid.oxfordjournals.org/content/2/1/ofv004.full
    With the occurrence of weight gain after FMT in this case, it is now our policy to use nonobese donors for FMT. The untoward consequences of using nonideal FMT donors are important, because patients may prefer to use a family member rather than an unrelated or unknown stool donor due to the perception that these sources are safer. However, studies have shown that FMT using a frozen inoculum from unrelated donors is effective in treating relapsing CDI [3]. In addition, most “professional” stool donors for FMT are selected on the basis of good health, including a normal BMI. This case serves as a note of caution when considering the use of nonideal donors for FMT, and we recommend selecting non-overweight donors for FMT.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Disclaimer: I'm a PA and I work in bariatric surgery.

Resources listed are good ones.

Basically, though, skinny people and obese people have different gut biomes.

When someone has a gastric bypass, their gut biome changes drastically over the first 6-9 months of the operation away from that of an obese person and to that of a skinny person.

When you take stool samples or gut biopsies of Poor responders - people that don't lose weight like they should after a weight loss surgery - they almost invariably have retained that obese gut biome.

So yeah. An obese person Taking pills of shit from a skinny person actually has potential to work. Unclear what the scale of the results (how much weight loss) and the durability of those results will be.

But that's a pretty innocuous treatment. So if there's any chance of it working, it's worth a try. Especially considering that millions of weight loss surgeries are performed every year and people are still happy to pay a lot of money for newer weight loss pills that are getting 5-10% of excess weight off in 1 year.
    You mean fat people aren't POS losers that should off themselves immediately so the rest of the world doesn't have to look at them?

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    TMI?
    Pics would be too much info.... yer good.

So telling someone to "go eat shit" may be not be a derogatory comment anymore?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang