Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    My contribution:

I spent last season on the Outlaw X. It skis very well, is durable, has brakes, step-in, etc. I had a major problem getting into them for a while, and I found it was because of the claws sticking. I modified that and the brakes slightly (I believe Freeheel Life even did a video on this), and started loving them. They were an absolute nightmare to work in until I did that though. Haven't released from them yet, but also haven't had a huge crash...also yet. I think they tour better than the Freerides as a result of the pivot point location. I can't see myself buying a different binding at this point, unless it was for a dedicated touring setup. They either lack the features I want or just suck.

I liked the Freerides, but I broke two pairs of them. One of the biggest downsides to the Freerides, IMO, is how snow can build up inside the "cage" thing under your foot on deep days. They're very easy to get in and out of if that's important to you. I never released from them and had a couple explosions. Most people agree you will break them eventually, but the current generation is definitely better.

Everyone I know that has been on Freedoms has broken too many to make it worth trying again and has moved on. They ski well if you want a relatively neutral binding, and they're kinda lightish.

I'm on my second pair of Tx Pros and I'm happy with them.

TL/DR the heels suck on all of them.....
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by ski-wpk View Post
    Reviving this thread once again.

Anyone skiing on Bishop BMF/R’s? I’ve dumped my 75mm gear and got TX/Comps, just need bindings. Was planning on Outlaws but after seeing a pair of Bishops this weekend, I’m intrigued…
    Nothing but good experiences with Outlaws here. My OG Outlaws were great...only periodic maintenance they needed was a bit of silicone spray on the claws each month. I'd spring for the X's and wouldn't look back.

Outlaws are probably the closest you'll come to that HH#5 / T-Race combo in terms of flex and activity. You won't get that tippy toe feeling like you would on Freerides...no idea about the BMFs though. They look pretty.

I remember the old days of Ttips when you could post info that became repeated enough the word got out.

For example, as someone who often skis sticky snow conditions, I’ve experienced snow accumulation underfoot with so many bindings it’s become almost my number one criteria. And in fact the freeride is outstanding in this dept IF you put clear vinyl tape on the aluminum frame. Outstanding in the sense that on a sticky pow day when all your tele crew is bitching about snow build up and meanwhile I haven’t had to clear snow out once all day.

The older freeride frames cracked (I cracked 3 pairs eventually) but the newer frames seem not to IME. I have a pair with 500+ resort days and plenty of air time. However I’m not a knee to ski guy, and that’ll break bindings.

Anyway I was just curious about the recent trend toward giving zero fucks about releasability even with a stiff AF boot. Ironically I just went to the bishop site and the first visible review describes his injury from not releasing.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    The older freeride frames cracked (I cracked 3 pairs eventually) but the newer frames seem not to IME. I have a pair with 500+ resort days and plenty of air time. However I’m not a knee to ski guy, and that’ll break bindings.

Anyway I was just curious about the recent trend toward giving zero fucks about releasability even with a stiff AF boot. Ironically I just went to the bishop site and the first visible review describes his injury from not releasing.
    I liked my Freerides and never had a single problem with them, I just ended up preferring the way 22 Designs bindings felt. I actually really liked how the Freerides toured, too... just pop up that lever and you're off. People used to complain about the ROM, but it was always perfectly fine for me. If I came across a cheap pair of Freerides, I'd be tempted to snag them again and put them on some race skis.

I've never felt that great about alpine or AT bindings holding me in when I want them to and releasing when needed, so I usually ski with the assumption that my skis aren't going to come off in a fall anyway. I did have good fall last winter where I wanted my AT bindings to release and ended up with a messed up fibula instead.

That said, I have often wondered what sort of release characteristics you could achieve by running the BMFs without the heel lock engaged. I guess it would still be pretty inconsistent.
    Last edited by Toddball; 10-25-2021 at 05:11 PM.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Tele bindings that aren't crap

Reviving this to highlight my latest binding casualty: today I broke the tour lock bar on my Bishop BMF/3’s - the steel tabs that hold the toe cage down in ski mode just sheared off. With the Bishops I had made it 15 days without breaking anything (a good run for me). Thinking I need to go back to a non-touring binding. To date 22D Vice are the only tele binding I haven’t broken.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9160.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	410321

what happens is people just gave more "zero fucks" ^^

speaking to tele after kacking the tib fib on g3 Targa's I sold them & went 7TM which do realease IME and I found skiable enough but i don't tele much anymore

speaking to AT I don't think most people know how much pressure is needed to release or even if their sexy new fixed release binding will release, the most important thing is light, release is not important period,

I even recall but can not find an artical where Lou dawson is refering to an AT binding as "saftey releasable" or SFT I always just assumed that was the point ???!!!

I still rock a couple pair of verticals and a rad which are adjustable and do reliably release for me at 160lb, i wouldn't use a binding that did not have seperatley adj vertical & lateral release
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Reviving this to highlight my latest binding casualty: today I broke the tour lock bar on my Bishop BMF/3’s - the steel tabs that hold the toe cage down in ski mode just sheared off. With the Bishops I had made it 15 days without breaking anything (a good run for me). Thinking I need to go back to a non-touring binding. To date 22D Vice are the only tele binding I haven’t broken.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9160.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	410321
    Sorry, man. I know you looked high and low for your new NTN binding $olution. Maybe Bishop will hook you up and try to get to day 20 next run :/
    Uno mas

Outlaws are the way. I broke every plastic piece on the BMF-3 when I had it, and the springs pack out way too quickly. Outlaws can and will break as well, but for me they have been a very reliable binding. 22D will release a non-touring version with retractable brakes at some point. Not this fall 22/23 but hopefully fall 23.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Outlaws are the way. I broke every plastic piece on the BMF-3 when I had it, and the springs pack out way too quickly. Outlaws can and will break as well, but for me they have been a very reliable binding. 22D will release a non-touring version with retractable brakes at some point. Not this fall 22/23 but hopefully fall 23.
    Good intel. Trying Outlaws out this week while waiting for replacement parts for my Bishops.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    Sorry, man. I know you looked high and low for your new NTN binding $olution. Maybe Bishop will hook you up and try to get to day 20 next run :/
    Replacement parts being shipped overnight. Apparently I’m the first one to break this part. Bishop was very accommodating. Might have to try the BMF/R’s - less to break.

My buddy really likes the new Meidjo 3.0’s. He moved to them from Outlaws and hasn’t been disappointed. 12+ screws per ski seems excessive to me tho……..

Any feedback on the Meidjo would be appreciated, also comparisons to Freerides and Freedoms.

Me: ski alpine, used to tele like 10 years ago. On Freerides with Scarpa TX Pros. Stance somewhere between very upright and old school knee to the ski.

Thinking about picking up a tele set-up next year, primarily for 3 things; 1) cruising soft groomers, 2) moving around more easily on the bunny hill, and 3) touring in mellow terrain on good snow, on days with high avy danger or with the kid in a few years.

Thinking Freedoms or Meidjo for weight. Meidjo for step-in etc. Brakes are a must. I'll never be a charger on tele, so stiffness isn't that important, but lateral control is nice

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    My buddy really likes the new Meidjo 3.0’s. He moved to them from Outlaws and hasn’t been disappointed. 12+ screws per ski seems excessive to me tho……..
    The. you will be highly disappointed to learn that it’s actually 13 screws per binding!

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Any feedback on the Meidjo would be appreciated, also comparisons to Freerides and Freedoms.

Me: ski alpine, used to tele like 10 years ago. On Freerides with Scarpa TX Pros. Stance somewhere between very upright and old school knee to the ski.

Thinking about picking up a tele set-up next year, primarily for 3 things; 1) cruising soft groomers, 2) moving around more easily on the bunny hill, and 3) touring in mellow terrain on good snow, on days with high avy danger or with the kid in a few years.

Thinking Freedoms or Meidjo for weight. Meidjo for step-in etc. Brakes are a must. I'll never be a charger on tele, so stiffness isn't that important, but lateral control is nice
    Freedoms are an acceptable inbounds binding, but aren’t great for touring. The have multiple failure points as well (including ejecting the cable guide “puck” at the most in opportune time). They can be found much cheaper than M.

Meidjos have proven to be reliable and are as easy as any pin-tech binding to tour with. They are prone to icing if you live in a wet/cold snow environment (Ive never had issues in VT). They also retail for an arm and a leg.

Brakes on both aren’t ideal but will pass. I’ve ditched brakes and use leashes in bounds and mostly go without on my powder skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Freedoms are an acceptable inbounds binding, but aren’t great for touring. The have multiple failure points as well (including ejecting the cable guide “puck” at the most in opportune time). They can be found much cheaper than M.

Meidjos have proven to be reliable and are as easy as any pin-tech binding to tour with. They are prone to icing if you live in a wet/cold snow environment (Ive never had issues in VT). They also retail for an arm and a leg.

Brakes on both aren’t ideal but will pass. I’ve ditched brakes and use leashes in bounds and mostly go without on my powder skis.
    Thanks.
    Guess it comes down to price to a certain degree.
    Which of the two is the best skiing binding? Especially for inbounds, lateral stiffness etc

Thanks.
    Guess it comes down to price to a certain degree.
    Which of the two is the best skiing binding? Especially for inbounds, lateral stiffness etc
    “best skiing” is pretty subjective. All tele bindings are a compromise.

The primary benefit of the M is the pin tech for touring. The make a heel block for inbounds that doesn’t lock out to your and some argue the pins are the most responsive edge to edge as there is very little play. That comes at a cost.

For purely inbounds you may want to consider either the black Freedom or the Outlaw. Both are easier to find on the secondary market (cheaper). Both are easy to step into and have brakes that work well. Compared to most 75mm bindings they give more more lateral stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    “best skiing” is pretty subjective. All tele bindings are a compromise.

The primary benefit of the M is the pin tech for touring. The make a heel block for inbounds that doesn’t lock out to your and some argue the pins are the most responsive edge to edge as there is very little play. That comes at a cost.

For purely inbounds you may want to consider either the black Freedom or the Outlaw. Both are easier to find on the secondary market (cheaper). Both are easy to step into and have brakes that work well. Compared to most 75mm bindings they give more more lateral stiffness.
    I guess the smart choice would be the Freedom then, at least until I find out if my knees still accepts tele. Unless I end up converting back from alpine and AT (not likely) we're talking around 10 days a year max. Probably not worth going for the Meijo those few days.

Thanks for the feedback

I guess the smart choice would be the Freedom then, at least until I find out if my knees still accepts tele. Unless I end up converting back from alpine and AT (not likely) we're talking around 10 days a year max. Probably not worth going for the Meijo those few days.

Thanks for the feedback
    I will say that the Meidjo is probably not worth the cost for what your intentions are. The freedom can be had very cheaply, however we are in the "tele bindings that aren't crap" thread. Freedoms are crap. They ski fine if you like a more neutral binding flex, but the tour mode is not free pivot through its whole range, and they are highly prone to breakage and parts are very difficult to get. I would push you towards a used Outlaw for durability more than anything. The Outlaw can also be setup as a more powerful binding which is good if you like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I will say that the Meidjo is probably not worth the cost for what your intentions are. The freedom can be had very cheaply, however we are in the "tele bindings that aren't crap" thread. Freedoms are crap. They ski fine if you like a more neutral binding flex, but the tour mode is not free pivot through its whole range, and they are highly prone to breakage and parts are very difficult to get. I would push you towards a used Outlaw for durability more than anything. The Outlaw can also be setup as a more powerful binding which is good if you like that.
    Noted.
    Not worried about parts etc for the Freedom, as I'm in Norway.

Will read up on the Outlaw

I like my Freedoms, like the way they ski, they may not be as good at touring as some but they tour fine, and -- knock on wood -- haven't broken in me despite many years/days of skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    Considering all my skis already have 8-16 holes in them, I've stopped worrying about it. If I ever actually break a ski from swiss-cheesing it, it will pay for itself with sweet, sweet karma in TGR and Reddit posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I like my Freedoms, like the way they ski, they may not be as good at touring as some but they tour fine, and -- knock on wood -- haven't broken in me despite many years/days of skiing.
    Agree. I’m the poster child for breaking tele bindings…partly the reason I was a beta tester for two brands (not rotte)…I’ve skied Freedoms since they first became available and haven’t broken anything. Actually I can’t think of a single skier I know IRL that has broken a Freedom.

They’re a poor match for my Evo World Cups. But work fine with my TX comps. And they certainly don’t tour like a tech toe binding.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Actually I can’t think of a single skier I know IRL that has broken a Freedom.
    I've seen several in person, on one the base plate was broken in such a way that the boot was stuck in the binding. We had to use a cut off wheel to get the boot out. The plastic tabs on the tour mechanism are the most common failure, but I have seen the cables break as well.