Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That, and chicks dig it.
    No they don't. They did in 1992/93/94 and maybe 95, but that's stretching it a bit. Now you are just seen like eccentric and weird.

The tour lock and release mechanism on the Axl seems plenty strong. The decision should probably be based on whether or not you plan to climb in them. The difference between climbing with the springs activated or not is significant. Either way, best of luck. Maybe try NOT to break them this time around.

so how did you break your BD O1's?

Vices RAWK. NTN is really great in terms of lateral control, but I think the 22D stuff skis better. NTN's "releasability" is a crap shoot. I've personally been a victim of non-release, and I have a friend who is just getting back after 2 years of rehab from getting his lower leg rebuilt from an NTN mishap. The only guarantee is that there isn't one.

The one thing I really kinda miss though -- I hate duck bills - walking in them kinda sucks. NTN isn't quite as bad. The Scarpa TX Pro & Comp were like slippers! I like them quite a bit more than my T1's, although the T1's seem more powerful. I will likely go Outlaw next time around however. NTN "step in", brakes (soon), and lateral control, but ski like HH's? Winner.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    so how did you break your BD O1's?
    Mid-turn in chopped up powder trees, I just just heard a snap. Not much to it. Didn't even hit the deck. I ski hard but at 6'3" 180 I'm definitely not the biggest. I drop deep though and tend to bury a lot of gear.

Qa/qc error in manufactoring and flaw in the metal is my guess. Probably fatigued from previous use. That's not an excuse. Sucks.

I skied BD, Bomber, and 22Designs binding when on duck bills. The Axl was my favorite. I broke the O2 and bishop several times. I also prefered the immediate tension of the Axl. The bishop did have superior edge control. I have moved onto NTN.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    NTN's "releasability" is a crap shoot. I've personally been a victim of non-release, and I have a friend who is just getting back after 2 years of rehab from getting his lower leg rebuilt from an NTN mishap. The only guarantee is that there isn't one.
    My lower leg and even longer being-fucked-up/rehab time would argue that unreliable release is better than no release from 22Designs.

Left foot/ankle is still fucked up (seven years later) and I'll be dealing with various biomechanical issues for life. Thanks telemark!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

i'm having a difficult time imagining how you were able to 'break' a 22designs steel toe box. how did you manage that?

I like the looks of those Bishops. Just forwarded that to a friend that blew his binders up.

If I win the lottery (after I buy Magic) I'm going to buy a new tele set up. That turn is just fun.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    I like the looks of those Bishops. Just forwarded that to a friend that blew his binders up.

If I win the lottery (after I buy Magic) I'm going to buy a new tele set up. That turn is just fun.
    if i won, think hermitage for hippies.

i fondled the 22D NTN today, super light.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    i fondled the 22D NTN today, super light.
    The Outlaw? I wouldn't say 3.75 lb for a pair of binders is super light.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    The Outlaw? I wouldn't say 3.75 lb for a pair of binders is super light.
    alrighty then

For someone who breaks bindings in 75 mm, I would say Bombers if not used for skinning or Axls if you are. If NTN go Outlaw.

Knee-to-ski skiing style would I guess be the biggest reason for tele binding destruction- if not wed to it, consider a more upright stance!

The Bishop 2.0 is definitely the most durable 75mm tele binding. The Vice is probably second, followed by the Axl, followed by Bishop 1.0. I broke spring tubes many times on my OG Bishops. Many friends and myself broke Hammerhead baseplates, heel throws, heel loops, cables, etc. The A few friends broke Axl tour mode crossbars, and the Axl and Vice both have the same issues with the heel throws/tubes/cables that the HH did. I don't have any personal experience with NTN 'cause the boots didn't fit me, but most of my friends that still tele have gone NTN and there have been plenty of failures in both the Freedoms and the Freerides among them.

The difference in touring efficiency between an Aal or O1 and a Bishop or Vice is HUGE. Not even comparable IMO.

The difference in touring efficiency between an Axl or O1 and a Dynafit binding with a modern AT boot is equally huge. My Scarpa Maestrale RS and Dynafit Radical FT combo is 4.5lb lighter on the same ski compared to my old Axl/T-Race rig. And the boots have double the ROM in walk mode.

I also have yet to break a binding since I switched to all-metal alpine bindings and Dynafits. I have broken plastic alpine bindings.

Sorry, but telemarking is dead.

It's not really dead but may be on life support. No need for euthanasia. Telemark isn't popular because like many worthwhile endeavors it is difficult to do it well. Of course it's inefficient going up or down. The most die hard enthusiasts recognize tele's limitations in terms of tourability, safety and durability. I am sure there are numbers to go with those metrics but how do you measure fun or challenge. It's easy to bash tele, not so easy to become proficient at it

It seems to be alive and perhaps even growing in our little town. But we're like 10-15 years behind the cultural trends. I thought the Internet would have equalized that, but no.

Voile is pretty durable too, though certainly not up there with Bomber, but it's really freakin easy to replace a heel throw, which is the most likely failure point. I never thought of 22D bindings as indestructible -- powerful for skiing, but lots of breakable parts. And no one can argue with AT binding weights and AT boot range of motion, but efficiency has never been a reason to tele.
    Last edited by dschane; 01-13-2016 at 12:49 AM. Reason: I can't fucking write

So who's going to buy my bindings?

These are a backup set. I'm old and now only drop a knee around the third day of a storm cycle. Bombers on protests with a soft base make me a hero again.

Now that bomber is back you can have replacement parts shipped to your door. I believe blowing up the spring tubes is mainly due to huge boots requiring more travel.

Firm on price and would love to see them get some use.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesj View Post
    It's not really dead but may be on life support. No need for euthanasia. Telemark isn't popular because like many worthwhile endeavors it is difficult to do it well. Of course it's inefficient going up or down. The most die hard enthusiasts recognize tele's limitations in terms of tourability, safety and durability. I am sure there are numbers to go with those metrics but how do you measure fun or challenge. It's easy to bash tele, not so easy to become proficient at it
    Yeah I basically need a reason to suck...

Telemark isn't popular because like many worthwhile endeavors it is difficult to do it well.
    Nah, tele is not difficult with big boots and active bindings. The real reason tele is less popular than it once was because AT gear is way lighter, more durable, tours better, walks better and climbs better, i.e., the Era of Gotta Learn to Tele to Tour Light and Fast ended 15+ years ago.

Anyway, I teled for 20 years so I'm not the guy to tell anybody to stop being a pinhead, so ya'll have fun. Okay then.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    No they don't. They did in 1992/93/94 and maybe 95, but that's stretching it a bit. Now you are just seen like eccentric and weird.
    You don't tele, do you? And I'm guessing you're not a chick.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My lower leg and even longer being-fucked-up/rehab time would argue that unreliable release is better than no release from 22Designs.

Left foot/ankle is still fucked up (seven years later) and I'll be dealing with various biomechanical issues for life. Thanks telemark!
    Don't blame telemark. Just don't wipe out.

Not gonna argue the +/- of NTN vs 75mm. Even alpine bindings don't release all the time in all falls. I pull people off the hill every week, load them in ambulances, and wonder why their bindings didn't release. When your time is up, it's up. My first ankle blowup was in alpine clamps; the second, NTN. Sucks, but sometimes shit happens.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I've got a set of Axls that I'd happily sell for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    i'm having a difficult time imagining how you were able to 'break' a 22designs steel toe box. how did you manage that?
    Wish I had a good answer for you. Same as the broken 01 toe box. Sadly I don't have a photo of that one.

Not dead for me. Broke my back in 2001 and the tele turn is much easier on my back than alpine. Just put in my first alpine day on Sunday in 5 years after my tele binding explosion and man it sucked. For area skiing, heavier and more uncomfortable equipment, slower turns, and 2' feet further away from the snow so fewer face shots.