Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Seriously, what would you do with a 1/2 bill?

Leaving aside the initial logistics like lawyers, security details, immediate divorce proceedings, etc, how would you actually spend it?

I'd

Quit my job but still attend the upcoming mandatory conference, skip out on all the bullshit sessions and wander around drunk in a leisure suit

Fix up all the shit around my house I've put off, keep the place but buy a joint on Lake Washington. Boat docked out back.

My new daily driver for just kicking around town would be that sweet Alfa 8c Competizione down the way. I could have it within a day.

Secure somewhat modest but perfectly located residence at mountain of choosing with a Ferrari FF and an ICON BR in the garage

Buy back my family's Hawaii home

Join Cypress Point for west coast and Oakmont for east.

One time stipend to family members with no more ever. Small chunk for VC stuff, rest parked.

Enter next WSOP

Travel. Fly private.

Purchase 10,000 monkeys and 10,000 typewriters and stick em in a warehouse in south Seattle.

prolly quit pissing money away on lottery tickets?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Pay off the mortgage
    New ride for the Wife
    Assorted boats and toys
    Cabin around Glacier
    Condo in Key West with a flats boat
    Buy my folk's, in laws and sister in laws homes.

But that shit wouldn't touch that kinda cash....

The lions share would be put into various trusts to benefit my family and close friends.
    I would also strategically employee skilled friends.
    The trusts would encompass equity and bond positions as well as real estate. My family's well being would be in a solid muni bond ladder.

Set up a charitable foundation with 20mm. Trustees would include my wife and I and close friends. Set Amt per trustee would be dished out to each trustees non profits of choice. More funds would be added to the foundation in time. Finds would be managed conservatively but with growth in mind.

And I'd keep doing what I do for a living. But I'd pay others a lot more! I'd prolly have a big fucking party too.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    And I'd keep doing what I do for a living.
    Wow, you must really love cutting grass a lot.

Give 20% to charity... use that to offset taxes. Wealth manager would make that shit tight.

Extended family trust of $50M. My wife and I are the sole trustees. They only get to request disbursal from earnings, not the nut, based on our approval.

Wife will likely want to keep working/expand her business. Allocate a fixed fund for that.

Invest the main nut. Live off returns. Should be ~$3M/yr if well managed. Get Net Jets account and Black AMEX... do whatever the fuck I want within that budget.

Step 1- buy a warehouse close to the house.
    Step 2- have it pimped out with all necessary lifts, tools, wash equipment, and air compressors.
    Step 3- Fill it with:

I'd love to set up a scholarship fund along the lines of the one David Letterman has or one of these other unique scholarships. Not sure what mine would be but I would want to serve a segment that can't qualify for the usual academic/sports/etc. scholarships.

I'd also like to help people afford needed medical treatment or other assistance (i.e. home modifications, specialized vehicles etc.).

I think being a philanthropist would totally rock.

Then buy a lot of waterfront property and get an extensive dock set up for these:

Then set up an investment fund to pay for the maintenance. The rest goes into trusts and investment portfolios to live off of.

Wheels Up membership, and travel is my new job, when I'm not maintaining vehicles and boats. Still won't pay too many people to do my maintenance shit, but might pay people to teach me the right way to do my shit better.

First order of business would be to send DD $37. No doubt about it.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I actually just had a customer that passed away from an aneurism at 43. I would cover his 4 kids' college tuition as starters. Then buy toys.

Rent a space shuttle and take thing one one wild ass ride.

I'd give everyone in America $1.25 and just blow the rest.

Vow to never spend more than a month in one country until I'd seen them all. Pick my favorites and buy houses; rotate among them as seasons change.
    Have myself cloned as an organ backup for the inevitable failed liver.

You could pay for one US Presidential Campaign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Ski fresh pow until I die.
    Edit to add: if warthog wins, hook back up with him on a fishing trip since ma nature was not real nice on our first one. Take him on a trip if I win.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Give 20% to charity... use that to offset taxes. Wealth manager would make that shit tight.

Extended family trust of $50M. My wife and I are the sole trustees. They only get to request disbursal from earnings, not the nut, based on our approval.

Wife will likely want to keep working/expand her business. Allocate a fixed fund for that.

Invest the main nut. Live off returns. Should be ~$3M/yr if well managed. Get Net Jets account and Black AMEX... do whatever the fuck I want within that budget.
    That's it? No 6 liter mercedes
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

One house in Alta. One in Costa Rica. Split time between those and traveling all over. Put together a trust for the family, and peel off a bunch into an investment group managed by someone I trust. That way when everyone comes looking for money for some harebrained scheme I can direct them there.

What I don't really want is a bunch of stuff. The best thing about the money is the freedom of it, and too much stuff just holds you back.

One time debt payoffs for family + retirement accounts/college.
    Get involved with funding local and state politics.
    Donate a lot.

Travel, learn stuff. New house and cars.

2 chicks at once...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I'd give it all to charity. You don't believe me? Then give me a 1/2 bill and see what happens.

see below...
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 01-10-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    2 chicks at once...
    Money won't help *you* get laid, stuck.

Pagani Huayra

Singer 911

Ferrari 410 Superamerica

Guards Red 918

Guards Red CGT

Guards Red 959

I'd keep working...

I'd split time between these two homes.

http://www.luxuryhomes.com/lh/listing/United_States/Hawaii/Maui/5520_Makena_Road-Black_Sands_at_Makena

http://www.luxuryhomes.com/lh/listing/United_States/Colorado/Snowmass_Village/Custom_Home_in_Snowmass_Village

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Fortunately for us, Charlie Sheen laid a roadmap. The rest is easy.

How does one teach the kids to work for a living if you don't have to?
    I see hydraulic turtles.