Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Warm mitts

I have or alti mitt and 8000 meter. Have some old grandoe with shearling on back which are warm too. It's a matter of how much I sweat or how much I pull my hands out of mitts to fart around. Vapor barrier is solid as well.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    What about those hand warmer things. Like a dollar or so each. The only time I've ever had to use them was this past Feb. when it was 10-20 below. Threw one in each mitt before going out and the heat was on!
    Little hotties hand warmers.

I buy a case of these every year at Costco. Every ski partner I have uses them when the temps drop. They significantly extend the range of whatever glove/mitt you are using. We usually open a pair at the car and put them in gloves, if it gets too warm then they go in pockets. Much better than waiting until your hands are frozen then opening a pair. I have handed them out while coaching kids, with avalanche classes standing around, and while surveying in winter. Buy a few singles and give them a try they may work for you. Den

Just go with the Kinco Alyaska mitt for $25 and be done. I coach two race teams and stood on the hill Tuesday night for 5 hours at -6 plus a windchill and my hands were just fine. I've been completely comfortable down to -30F, at least my hands were, the rest of me not so much.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    can you work a phone touchscreen with them on?
    Most of the time I've tried it, yes. Haven't tried in cold cold though.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    In the past if that happened, the only way to get them warm again would have been to either go into the lodge, or simultaneously sticking my bare hands in my armpits while blowing hot air into the mitts.
    I can windmill my arms and get circulation back in my fingers.

My wife doesn't find it particularly impressive.
    focus.

BD Mercury Mitts are like little nuclear reactors for your hands.

Free The Powder gloves are top notch, so I bet their new RX mitts would be plenty warm and good.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    Just go with the Kinco Alyaska mitt for $25 and be done. I coach two race teams and stood on the hill Tuesday night for 5 hours at -6 plus a windchill and my hands were just fine. I've been completely comfortable down to -30F, at least my hands were, the rest of me not so much.
    These? http://www.kinco.com/product/5199/

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    BD Mercury Mitts are like little nuclear reactors for your hands.

Free The Powder gloves are top notch, so I bet their new RX mitts would be plenty warm and good.
    Seriously. I just picked up some for snowblowing. If you get cold in these, you're probably dead.

Schuss, if you're referring to the RX mitts - is the liner a mitten or glove liner? Thanks!

Hestra Job Gore-tex Base Mitten

Just as warm as their Army Leather mittens and much cheaper.

can you work a phone touchscreen with them on?
    Are you kidding? Put the fuckin phone away and ski. Geez!!
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Crash View Post
    I am looking for something warmer than my BD Guide Gloves for when I am skiing in really cold temperatures. (Single digits or lower, Fahrenheit.) I was wearing the gloves in Big Sky the week leading to Christmas and was having serious issues with my fingers freezing. I will add a small liner (I have silk liners that I had forgotten) but I think mittens would have been awesome then. Mountain Hardware used to make a down mitten that seems to have been discontinued... What do yo guys like? Also, just because I am placing an order with Scott for some poles, I wonder if anybody has tried the Scott MTN Free WS Mitten (what a name!). It doesn't look super burly, and Scott does not list any temperature ratings on anything, but if someone has tried them, I'd like to know what you thought.

Thanks!
    Free The Powder is the best value in gloves and mittens hands down. Their regular gloves and mittens are $59.99 and they now have a removable liner model for $79.99. I have always used BD and they are fine but a lot more money and not any warmer than FTP. FTP's customer service is also top notch. BD always pissed me off that they do not sell replacement liners. Not sure if FTP does but at $59.99 if the gloves wear out after five years I feel like I got my money out of them. I have had my long cuff glove for three years, probably 150 days on them and they look like new.

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Are you kidding? Put the fuckin phone away and ski. Geez!!
    fuck you, you ignorant cunt

come ski some real terrain without access to maps and see how you do.
    I'll come and piss on you while you shiver cowering, lost and hypothermic.

get in touch if you're ever out this way

Lighten up TG, axebiker would totally smoke you in map-off, with or without gloves!

X-whatever on the BD Mercury mitt, mine are ten years old and only come out on below zero F days, they are almost too warm even on the coldest days.

Cripple fight!!

http://youtu.be/NfgHVSvxZUA
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

fuck you, you ignorant cunt

come ski some real terrain without access to maps and see how you do.
    I'll come and piss on you while you shiver cowering, lost and hypothermic.

get in touch if you're ever out this way
    The GNAR is strong in this one...

I bet you're so bad you'd eat a dead man's boogers and ask for seconds!!

Gravity. It's the law.