Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Fwiw, I've ditched my goretex jackets and use only Polertec Neoshell ones now. One shell for warm days, one medium lined for most days, one insulted with primaloft for cold days. They all feel, stretch, and breath like soft shell but repel water like a hardshell. Best of both worlds. I run very hot so breathability is paramount and goretex can't compare to Neoshell in that respect.

This is my pissing rain ski jacket. https://www.columbia.com/outdry-ex-g...iABEgIF2vD_BwE

It's got zero breathability so good for lift riding.

gelanots?

Just bought some older Strafe bibs with this stuff and love the supple hand and durability. I can't speak to breathability yet, but based on research it trumps older versions of Gore stuff, not sure about comparing new iterations though and haven't toured in these yet as they are for very cold touring only. I'm a fan of true softshells (Schoeller etc) for most touring in the drier western U.S. environments. Good luck finding newer products utilizing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Neoshell is more water resistant than shoeller or windstopper but its still just a soft shell so while it breathes better than gortex for touring, I wouldn't use Neo for riding a chair and I don't think any alpine skier should be buying Neoshell
    Word...have tried sooo many frickin G-Tex and neo-shell this and that. Gore rules if you are resort skiing fo sho. Storm protection, hangin in liftlines for and hour before lifts load, wind protection riding chairs with crazy 40-50 mile per hour side gusts etc. Staying bone dry its still boss in my book. For slender dudes that are tall...nothing wrong with the Euro stuff and Arc' makes pants in tall sizes for the long legged or us old guys that don't roll gangsta and like our boots covered when we sit down on a chair.

School me on fabrics, guys:
    I'm in for a new 3L hardshell jacket. I have the Patagonia PowSlayer and the new Patagonia SnowDrifter jackets here to try them on.
    Powslayer is Gore-Tex Pro, SnowDrifter is H2No Performance Standard – $300 price difference!!! I really do like the softer feel of the SnowDrifter, but I'm wondering how much better the gore pro would be performance-wise.
    Would breathability really matter? I mean, when I open my zips a bit, it will be far beyond the 28k that Gore-Tex Pro claims to have, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    School me on fabrics, guys:
    I'm in for a new 3L hardshell jacket. I have the Patagonia PowSlayer and the new Patagonia SnowDrifter jackets here to try them on.
    Powslayer is Gore-Tex Pro, SnowDrifter is H2No Performance Standard – $300 price difference!!! I really do like the softer feel of the SnowDrifter, but I'm wondering how much better the gore pro would be performance-wise.
    Would breathability really matter? I mean, when I open my zips a bit, it will be far beyond the 28k that Gore-Tex Pro claims to have, anyway.
    I have H2NO Pants and did have a gore tex jacket. They both worked fine and no real difference. If you are not touring, I wouldn't worry to much about breathability. If you are like me you will sweat while touring if you wear a hardshell regardless of how breathable it is.

I think overall fit is more important than the material.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW-skier78 View Post
    I have H2NO Pants and did have a gore tex jacket. They both worked fine and no real difference. If you are not touring, I wouldn't worry to much about breathability. If you are like me you will sweat while touring if you wear a hardshell regardless of how breathable it is.

I think overall fit is more important than the material.
    Couldn't agree more. Fit is most important. You might not get the exact combination of fabric you want but make sure it fits. Freeride jacket and OR pants over here. I used to do all Westcomb eVent. I miss the total windstoppage but the fit sucked and I'd never wear that stuff again. It's too expensive for how fast it breaks down. I'll stick with the deals that freeride keeps on giving until someone beats it out. I stick a fleece midlayer in my pack on semi cold days and on ultra cold I do a down midlayer that's just fucking beast. I don't miss the Westcomb shell. I'd miss the mid though. That's the nicest down jacket I've ever seen and I have to give Westcomb credit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by snowtastic View Post
    Would breathability really matter?
    If you have to ask on TGR, it probably won't be a $300 difference. The added breathability of Gore Pro is really nice when you're near aerobic maximum for hours in weather that requires a hardshell; for cruising around on the lifts with a little sidecountry it is overkill.

I haven't tried a recent H2No garment (the original fabrics were pretty sweaty but very waterproof), and they keep tweaking the membrane for greater breathability, so the gap is narrowing.

I feel like thread weight matters a lot also. I have some really heavy duty event jackets that are durable from westcomb and my Norrona bibs are super burly gore pro. I tend to ski a lot of trees and scrape branches. I really like event breathability and gore pro is 80-90%. Now if I’m backcountry skiing I live in my neoshell jacket which is also westcomb. The old free ride line westomb had has a great fit for me so I bought close outs wherever I could. The problem I had was finding thick gore pro. The arctryx 80d was too thin and ripped to quick.

Gore-Tex still the best?

Is Gore-Tex active really porous and cold for inbounds skiing?Can it shield the wind at all?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Is Gore-Tex active really porous and cold for inbounds skiing?Can it shield the wind at all?
    Not sure about active but C knit is pretty good and more hard shell.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Why would you want to use GTX active for resort skiing?
    Anyway, I'd be more concerned about the durability.

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    Why would you want to use GTX active for resort skiing?
    Anyway, I'd be more concerned about the durability.
    For sure, Goretex Pro and pit zips for the wet days (rain or that famous Cascade Snow) in Oregon.
    "Let's be careful out there."

I still think event is better for breathability and still water proof

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Gore-Tex still the best?

Futurelight offers a good tradeoff of breathability and waterproofing and fabric is not as stiff as gore Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by Flippo View Post
    Futurelight offers a good tradeoff of breathability and waterproofing and fabric is not as stiff as gore Tex.
    How good the tradeoff is depends on the climate you frequent. Great in the Rockies most of the time, not waterproof enough for lift-served in the Pacific Northwest.

PNW is a broad area, I almost never use a membrane garment east of the crest. When I need waterproof I just reach for the Grundens

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    PNW is a broad area, I almost never use a membrane garment east of the crest. When I need waterproof I just reach for the Grundens

Unicorn is right, I would be fine in Futurelight for an entire season at Mission!

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I still think event is better for breathability and still water proof

Some 10 years ago i did a test climbing the same hill in two following days with similar (cloudy/rainy) weather and similar conditions once with a GTX Proshell jacket (old stuff) and once with a jacket made of eVent.
    The difference was not dramatic but appreciable.

I normally don´t use a hardshell while skinning in Winter, but today I wanted to try and I used a newer eVent jacket over a log arm underwear shirt at temperature slightly above freezing. At the end I was slightly overheating, but I was still comfortable.
    I have no comparison with other materials @ similar conditions though.