Heading to Costa Rica, any ideas?

I'm heading to Costa Rica at the end of next month for a week. We will be staying in a house in San Jose. So far my plans consist of visiting the poàs volcano/ national park, as well as a tour of a coffee farm (girlfriend is hooked up in the coffee industry).

I would love any advice on places or things to check out!

Are you headed to either coast?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Are you headed to either coast?
    Yes I was planning on heading to the west coast for a beach day, probably around carara national park. We will be based out of San Jose though, which opens the possibility of either cost for a day trip. Have you been to the country before?

so jelly

How long will you be there? Can you do overnight trips? The coast is pretty far away from San Jose. Much of a days travel to many places and about 4 hours to the ones close by. I really likes the Mal Pias, Piedras Blanca zone. I would avoid Jaco, and if you are headed that way, stay in Hermosa. Tamarindo is kind of crowded, but plenty of activities, and an easier shot from SJ. Domincal is a decent little town and had a good highway from SJ over the mountains when I was there 15 years ago.

Of course there is Arenal and the cloud forest. Again, best for an overnight trip at least.

You may not be able to get up to Poas, as it is smoking. Here is a pic of Poas taken one month ago. However, the Peace Lodge is very close to Poas, and is extremely cool. From there, you can hike to 6 or 7 waterfalls, and view a botanical garden that has just about every plant and butterfly indigenous to C.R. Also, take a trip down to Playa Hermosa (an excellent beach only a 1 1/4 hr. drive from S.J.), charter a boat at Los Suenos and catch either a sail, marlin, tuna or rooster.Name:  IMG_0753.JPG
Views: 180
Size:  49.7 KB
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Go to Playa Negra. It's about 45 minutes south of Tamarindo. We go there every year in December. Have for the last eight years. Super chill. Safe. Great beaches. Great restaurants. Friendly people. See burrito Mike in town. He can hook you up with things to do, etc. A super small, chill town. We surf for 9-10 days a year in that area every year.

Tamarindo is a small version of Cabo San Lucas.

As for San Jose, I've not heard good things. Not too safe. I know two to here separate groups from a few years get robed there. Tourist are a target.

ride the bus through the banana plantations on the way to bocas del toro in caribbean panama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluff View Post
    Go to Playa Negra. It's about 45 minutes south of Tamarindo. We go there every year in December. Have for the last eight years. Super chill. Safe. Great beaches. Great restaurants. Friendly people. See burrito Mike in town. He can hook you up with things to do, etc. A super small, chill town. We surf for 9-10 days a year in that area every year.

Tamarindo is a small version of Cabo San Lucas.

As for San Jose, I've not heard good things. Not too safe. I know two to here separate groups from a few years get robed there. Tourist are a target.
    We do a similar trip to Mal Pais/Santa Teresa every year. Sleepy little surf town, tons of fun. If you want to go west coast I would suggest taking one of the puddle jumpers instead of driving. You'll save 4-5 hours each direction and flights are like $100 each way.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    ride the bus through the banana plantations on the way to bocas del toro in caribbean panama.
    Please check on DBS while in Panama and give us a report. Not quite sure where he is at, but he is near a big dump if I recall correctly. Just ask around for "change for a nickel".
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

The museums in San Jose are quite interesting. You can visit Musel del Jade, it's my favorite place. Coffee tours are also a fun way to learn about the process and history of coffee in Costa Rica you can try. Cupping is really fantastic!