TR: Gambling on Pilot Peak

Pilot Peak is the highest mountain in the Pilot Range in eastern Elko County, Nevada, just over the UT state line, right next to Wendover. It is the most topographically prominent peak in Elko County and the fourth-most prominent peak in Nevada, rising to an elevation of 10,720 ft towering above the Great Basin.

Trackhead mentioned the peak to both myself and MarkH, didn't take too much prodding and we planned a quick trip New Years day. It was 4 of us, myself, MarkH, Ian, and Layne.

As we drove out of town we were reminded of the peaks just out the front door, but hey we've skied it before and needed an adventure.

Pilot peak coming into view, we were really starting to question if there was enough snow to ski

Looking better!

We drove as far as my Jeep would take us to around 6,300 feet and started skinning from there

The Great Basin at our backs

After a thousand feet of climbing we reached the alpine and things started to look even better, Ian breaking MarkH following

Still climbing, the views through the old growth did not suck

As we continue to ascend the wind started to pick up and was gusting to 30mph by the time we hit the ridge. We all scrambled to the top as quickly as possibly and jumped into a nicely built windbreak. We estimated the windchill to be around -20, COLD!

Myself and Layne psyched to be up top

We sat around for a bit, snacked and took in the views. Shots from the top...

Now time to SKI, but first a jog down from the summit without blowing away.

MarkH taking his turn

Ian next

Layne slashing one for the camera

Now mine

We skied down about 3000 feet and decided to lap another zone that split off to the right, might as well since we are in the area! Ian and Layne headed up

Some parting shots of the skiing, since that's what we are here for

Trudging back to the car, good day out!

I drive that way every summer to MT. Nice to see Pilot covered in snow.

Thanks

nice work, way to mix it up. Ian aka the human lung jr.

Rad! I remember reading trackheads report on his now dead site and thinking sometime that's worth doing. Glad to see you skiing it

Nice J!!!
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

I love Nevada! Every once in a while I regret not taking the job in Elko when I moved to Wenatchee.

Nice work! Those old growth trees look fun.

Nice score, add that to when you guys scored the north peak of the Oquirhhs to the Salt Lake. I think it's hard to capture in pics the randomness of skiing out there.

Our day wasn't quite as good

Sveet!

Way cool J.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Hah, I had forgotten about that pic. Man that looks fucking miserable, solid Type III fun.

awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Nice score, add that to when you guys scored the north peak of the Oquirhhs to the Salt Lake. I think it's hard to capture in pics the randomness of skiing out there.

Hah, hope Tom brought his rock skis! I think it's really hit or miss on this peak. Weird weather patterns and no snotel makes it hard to figure out what conditions will be like.

awesome JTrue
    the snow looked good too!

Cool TR from a zone I had no idea existed.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    to the top
    sir ej style

strong work
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Awesome! That for taking the time to do an old school TR in a FaceBook Instragram world.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Awesome! That for taking the time to do an old school TR in a FaceBook Instragram world.
    Imagine that...........

Sweet! I ogle that thing every time I make the trip from Tahoe to Salt lake or City of Rocks.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Cool TR. Basin and Range FTW.

So many random little mountain ranges around the West.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.