ex climber but still jongy question

Thinking bout what would be a good choice for a self rappel line to carry in case my local lift breaks(again).

Seen 8.8mm stuff and it should coil into a packable bundle for a 70-80' max double strand self rap off a stuck chair.

Wot you guys think? Stupid idea oar GTFO expedient?

THx
    watch out for snakes

5.5 mm Dyneema is plenty for rapping off a chair. I carry a wad of it in cold climate resort skiing or in the BC.

Or just huck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    5.5 mm Dyneema is plenty for rapping off a chair. I carry a wad of it in cold climate resort skiing or in the BC.

Or just huck it.
    You rap with a device or munter on Dyneema? I know knots aren't the greatest for Dyneema, no idea how it holds up to a munter etc.

I assume you just swami belt it?

Yes, munter, it's very unlikely to happen and not real worried about tangles. Only concerned with -20 wind chill on a stopped chair.

For the 5.5 mm, use a super munter. You cab rap really slowly with that

You would still need some material to rig a harness. Cheapest and lightest option would be a double length runner (48") that you could pass between your legs, then bring the "wings" around your sides and put a big locking biner in front to combine all 3 loops. You'll need a longer runner if you're fat. Smarter option would be the CAMP Alp Racing harness. A whopping 3.2 oz. (A 48" nylon runner weighs 1.4 oz). The harness is pretty cheap too. $39 I think. If you get the harness, make sure to wear it under your shell pants so people don't make fun of you.

Munter I believe would be absolutely fine on the 5.5mm tech cord. Test it first though - rap off a jungle gym or something. Or better yet, test it at the gym with a toprope backup. Killing yourself 45 minutes before patrol shows up to rescue you would be a dumb way to die.

That being said - carrying 150' of cord for resort skiing is probably pretty fucking stupid. Remember that clown who wore 3 GoPros and carried his full ski pack to work out at his NYC gym? What did we call him? Gaper Spirit Animal? Yeah, you would be GSA Jr.

For the same weight and bulk, just stuff a big down parka, some chemical hand warmers, and a thermos of hot tea inside your pack. Lots more opportunities to use a parka and drink tea on a normal day and they'll keep you alive anyway in the 0.0003% chance you get stuck on a lift for 2 hours. Besides, what are you gonna do if you're mid rappel and the chair starts moving? Could be real bad.

Resort skiing isn't the place to try and be the Boondock Saints...

Goode point there BSR.
    watch out for snakes

What about the seven strand para cord? Too small?
    watch out for snakes

Para cord is constructed pretty much the same way as accessory cord, it's usually zero stretch i.e. dyneema / Kevlar.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Para cord is constructed pretty much the same way as accessory cord, it's usually zero stretch i.e. dyneema / Kevlar.
    Yeah it's the same in that it is kernmantle construction but there are some really important differences.

ie DON'T RAP on paracord.

The 5mm dyneema or kevlar cord will work, I know for a fact that's what patrol caries at Northstar and they do it on a munter. Knots are fine since only the core is the dyneema.