Skinning up - help needed

Hi Guys,

Haven't been here a while. Great to come back with questions.

I have ski for at least 15 years. Have never done skinning or backcountry as they call it. I want to try it this year and see if I like it. I am a person that goes to the top in search for Pow. Yet before knowing if I like skinning or not I would not like to make any heavy investments. Thus these are my questions as a beginner:

1. Can I use my Salomon Czar or Salomon Scream Skies for skinning upwards?
    2. Can I use the bindings that I have on them? T910 Salomon? (If their is no way I can then can I mount backcountry bindings on these skies)
    3. Can I use regular boots ( please don't make me change my boots I really had these costum fitted)
    4. Any other rec/advice for.a beginner?

Thank you indeed.

PS Please don't send me a video link! Have seen quite some I need costum responses otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.

Yes you can use those skis to skin up. You need skins.

You can also use your regular boot until you decide to switch. I don't know what comfort will be like.

The biggest thing it seems out of your setup, is you need either trekkers to use with your current binding or some touring bindings. Marker tour, baron etc.

Summary- get skins for your ski dimensions and trekkers or a touring binding

You might want to invest a bit of time in an avy class, finding a knowledgeable partner, etc. Where are you skiing?

Man this place is slipping.
    Wrong forum JONG

wrong font color too.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I bet if you post some hot pics you can have a brand new setup mailed to your home, free!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Eastern EU Bulgaria or Kosovo. Quite hard to find such people here.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    You might want to invest a bit of time in an avy class, finding a knowledgeable partner, etc. Where are you skiing?

Thanks great info

Quote Originally Posted by JJChit View Post
    Yes you can use those skis to skin up. You need skins.

You can also use your regular boot until you decide to switch. I don't know what comfort will be like.

The biggest thing it seems out of your setup, is you need either trekkers to use with your current binding or some touring bindings. Marker tour, baron etc.

Summary- get skins for your ski dimensions and trekkers or a touring binding

I think the Avi class is the best suggestion on here. Don't get yourself into trouble!

If you can I'd rent some BC gear. It's expensive to get into and it isn't for everyone. Czars are heavy. Ttreckers with your current bindings are heavy. Your down hill boots are probably heavy. You'll have a much more enjoyable experience with gear that's made for the backcountry that isn't heavy.

Anyone who can appreciate a walk in the woods and enjoys skiing will instantly be hooked on BC. If the up doesn't bring at least 50% of the satisfaction you'll probably be disappointed.

when conditions are dry lube it up or spit on it first

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Hi Guys,

Haven't been here a while. Great to come back with questions.

I have ski for at least 15 years. Have never done skinning or backcountry as they call it. I want to try it this year and see if I like it. I am a person that goes to the top in search for Pow. Yet before knowing if I like skinning or not I would not like to make any heavy investments. Thus these are my questions as a beginner:

[COLOR=#181818]1. Can I use my Salomon Czar or Salomon Scream Skies for skinning upwards?
    [COLOR=#181818]2. Can I use the bindings that I have on them? T910 Salomon? (If their is no way I can then can I mount backcountry bindings on these skies)
    3. Can I use regular boots ( please don't make me change my boots I really had these costum fitted)
    4. Any other rec/advice for.a beginner?

Thank you indeed.

PS Please don't send me a video link! Have seen quite some I need costum responses otherwise I wouldn't be posting here.
    i gave all my skinnin advice to benners
    he po poed it cause he's too fuckin hip
    search for it
    i unfucked your unreadable on blue background color clusterfucks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I doubt anyone here knows what conditions and terrain are like where you ski or what gear is available. If at all possible try to find people who are already doing what you want to do and get advice locally. Backcountry skiing is probably not you want to be doing by yourself anyway. Good luck.